Pvt. Hayden Reed Lawrence

Born: 7 March 1919 - Rapides Parish, Louisiana
Parents: John S. Lawrence & Addie Curtis-Lawrence
Siblings: 2 sisters
Nickname: Reed

Home: Rapides Parish, Louisiana

    - lived on family's farm
Graduated: Buckeye High School - Deville, Louisiana
    - Class of 1939

Resided: Liberty, Texas -1940

Occupation: roughneck - oil well drilling


    - U.S. Army  

        - 21 February 1941 - Jacksonville Army Air Force Base, Florida

Basic Training:

    - Fort Knox, Kentucky
        - truck driver


    - 19th Ordnance
        - trained alongside the 192nd Tank Battalion
        - learned to repair 57 different vehicles
        - learned to repair various weapons used by a tank battalion
        - August 1941 - maneuvers in Arkansas

    - 17th Ordnance Company

       - 17 August 1941 - formed from A Company, 19th Ordnance Battalion

           - received overseas orders the same day
Note:  The decision for this move - which had been made on August 15, 1941 - was the result of an event that took place in the summer of 1941.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf, in the Philippines, when one of the pilots, who was flying at a lower altitude, noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a flagged buoy in the water and saw another in the distance.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island which was hundred of miles away.  The island had a large radio transmitter.  The squadron continued its flight plan south to Mariveles and returned to Clark Field.
     When the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day.  The next day, when another squadron was sent to the area, the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat - with a tarp on its deck - which was seen making its way to shore.  Since communication between the Air Corps and Navy was difficult, the boat escaped.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
Overseas Duty:
        - traveled by train to Ft. Mason, San Francisco, California
            - Arrived: Thursday, 5 September 1941
        - ferried to Ft. McDowell, Angel Island on U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe
            - given physicals and inoculations
            - men with medical conditions replaced
        - removed turrets from tanks of the 194th Tank Battalion
    - Ship: S.S. President Calvin Coolidge
        - Boarded: San Francisco, California - Monday - 8 September 1941
        - Sailed: 9:00 P.M.
        - Arrived: Honolulu, Hawaii - Saturday 13 September 1941 - 7:00 A.M.
            - soldiers given shore leave for the day
        - Sailed: 5:00 P.M.
            - escorted by the heavy cruiser, U.S.S. Astoria, and an unknown destroyer
                - smoke seen on horizon several times
                -  cruiser intercepted ships
        - 16 September 1941 - crossed International Dateline
            - date became Thursday - 18 September 1941
        - Arrived: Manila, Philippine Islands - Friday - 26 September 1941
        - Disembarked:
            - 17th Ordnance remained behind to unload tanks of the 194th Tank Battalion
                - reattached turrets to tanks
                - worked in shifts
                - slept on ship that night
        - finished attaching turrets at 9:00 A.M. the next day
        - rode bus to Ft. Stotsenburg                 
        - serviced tanks of Provisional Tank Group
    - Ft. Stotsenburg, Philippine Islands
        - lived in tents until barracks completed - 15 November 1941
            - 8 December 1942 - lived through Japanese attack on Clark Field
                - company went to a bamboo thicket where they could disperse vehicles
                    - company set up bivouac
                        - set up machine shop trucks, half-tracks, and trucks
                - received orders to return to Ft. Stotsenburg
       - 12:45 P.M. - Japanese attacked
           - Japanese wipe out Army Air Corps
           - dead and wounded were everywhere


    - Battle of Luzon

        - 8 December 1942 - 6 January 1942
            - 30 December 1942 - sent parents telegram saying he was fine

    - Battle of Bataan

        - 7 January - 9 April 1942

            - drove gasoline and ammunition to tanks of the 192nd & 194th Tank Battalions

        - 1 February 1942 - wrote letter home

        - 3 April 1942 - parents received letter
    - 9 April 1942

Death March:

        - Hayden started the march at Marivales at the southern tip of Bataan 

            - escaped into the hills with Pfc. Robert Schletterer , Pfc. James Boyd , Capt. Richard Kadel , Pvt. Frank Gyovai , and Pvt. George
              Mogyorosi of 17th Ordnance

Guerilla Information:

    - HQ XI Corp. - Zambales, Luzon, Philippine Islands

        - fought under command of Col. Gyles Merrill

Prisoner of War:

    - captured by Japanese - Tuesday - 16 September 1943
        - taken to Angeles City, Central Luzon
            - two days without food or water

    - Held: 

       - Zambales Provincial Jail


    - Japanese tried Hayden for breaking the capitulation

    - Hayden was found guilty of crime


    - Thursday - 23 September 1943
        - tied to tree and used for bayonet practice at Angeles City Catholic Cemetery, Angeles City, 
Central Luzon, Philippine Islands

Note: Parents received a letter
    - Dated: 24 April 1945
        - letter was from a Filipino boy employed by the Japanese to clean at the Zambales Jail
            - the boy said he saw Hayden in the jail
            - the boy described him so accurately that his parents believed the boy had seen him
            - he described the meager rations Hayden received and that he smuggled food and cigarettes to him
            - during their meetings Hayden told him of his 17 months as a guerrilla and how he was captured
                - Hayden told him he ate fruits and berries he picked and at times risked his life to get them
                - he was captured attempting to get papaya from a tree on the edge of a mountain
                - he was spotted by the Japanese who happened to be in the area
                - September 1943 - after being captured, he was taken to the Presidencia Building
                - 23 September 1943 - a little over a week later he was executed
    - Angeles City Catholic Cemetery
        - the Filipino boy who sent the letter kept the grave clean and, with the help of other Filipinos, put a cross on the grave

        - after war, his family requested that his remains be returned to the United States
Posthumously Promoted: Tec 4 - rank equal to Sergeant

Note: Hayden R. Lawrence Upper Elementary School in Deville, Louisiana , was named after him


    - Bethel United Methodist Church Cemetery -  Bethel, Rapides Parish, Louisiana

        - Row:  8


Bataan Project



Bataan Project

Return to 17th Ordnance