2nd Lt. John Jacob Hummel

Born: 11 December 1917 - Mayfield, Washington
Parents: Jasper Hummel & Sada Mayfield-Hummel


Inducted: Unknown

Education: left school after junior year joined the Civilian Conservation Corps

     - returned to school

     - graduated high school 1936

     - went to Alaska - worked goldfields, worked in a roadhouse, built a school to earn

       enough money for college

Education:  University of Washington

     - joined ROTC 

     - left school before graduation


    - Fort Lewis, Washington


    - 194th Tank Battalion

        - assigned to D Company, 192nd Tank Battalion

        - the company was scheduled to be transferred to the 194th Tank Battalion 

        - company was attached to the 194th but remained under the

          command of the 192nd Tank Battalion
    - half-track commander

Note: On August 15, 1941, the 194th received orders, from Ft. Knox, Kentucky, for duty in the Philippines because of an event that happened during the summer.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf when one of the pilots noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a buoy in the water.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island, with a large radio transmitter, hundred of miles away.  The squadron continued its flight plane and flew south to Mariveles and then returned to Clark Field.  By the time the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day.
    The next morning, another squadron was sent to the area and found that the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat which was seen making its way toward shore.  Since communication between and Air Corps and Navy was poor, the boat was not intercepted.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
Overseas Duty:
    - 4 September  1941 -
        - battalion traveled by train to Ft. Mason in San Francisco, California
    - Arrived: 7:30 A.M. - 5 September 1941
        - ferried to Ft. McDowell, Angel Island on U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe
        - given physicals and inoculations
        - men with medical conditions replaced

    - Ship: U.S.S. President Coolidge
        - Boarded: Monday - 8 September 1941 - 3:00 P.M.
        - Sailed: 9:00 P.M. - same day
        - Arrived: Honolulu, Hawaii - Saturday - 13 September 1941 - 7:00 A.M.
        - Sailed: 5:00 P.M. - same day
        - Arrived: Manila - Friday - 26 September 1941
            - disembark ship - 3:00 P.M.
            - taken by bus to Fort Stostenburg
    - Ft. Stostenburg, Philippines
        - lived in tents until barracks completed - 15 November 1941   


    - Battle of Luzon

        - 8 December 1941 - 6 January 1942
            - The morning of December 8th, December 7th in the United States, the tankers
              were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Airfield.
            - 12:45 P.M. - the airfield was bombed destroying the Army Air Corps
                - tankers were receiving lunch from food trucks when attack came
            - HQ Company members remained in 194th command area
                - could do little more than take cover during attack
            - As HQ Company watched the wounded and dying carried to hospital on anything that
              would carry them
                  - most had missing arms or legs
                  - when hospital ran out of room, wounded put under the hospital
            - Next day, members of company walked around airfield and saw the dead laying
            - 10 December 1941
                - battalion sent to Mabalcat
                    - C Company was sent to Southern Luzon to support troops
            - 12 December 1941
                - moved to new bivouac south to San Fernando near Calumpit Bridge
                    - arrived 6:00 A.M.
            - 14 December 1941
                - A Co. & D Co., 192nd moved to just north of Muntinlupa
            - 15 December 1941
                - received 15 Bren gun carriers
                - turned some over to 26th Cavalry, Philippine Scouts
                - Bren gun carriers used to test ground to see if it could support tanks
            - 22 December 1941
                - sent to Rosario
                    - west and north of the of barrio
                    - ordered out of the 71st Division Commander
                        - said they would hinder the cavalry's operation
            - 22/23 December 1941
                - operating north of Agno River
                - main bridge at Carmen bombed
            - 24 December 1941
                - operating in Hacienda Road area
            - 26 December 1941

                - wounded in his neck outside of Carmen when half-track

                  came under fire

                - held his fingers to the wounds on both sides of his neck

                  until he received first aid
                - half-track knocked out

    - Battle of Bataan

        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942
             - HQ Company serviced tanks and supplied crews with ammunition, gas, and
            - January 1942
                - tank companies reduced to three tanks per platoon
    It was at this time the tank battalions received these orders which came from Gen. Weaver: 
"Tanks will execute maximum delay, staying in position and firing at visible enemy until further delay will jeopardize withdrawal.  If a tank is immobilized, it will be fought until the close approach of the enemy, then destroyed; the crew previously taking positions outside and continuing to fight with the salvaged and personal weapons. Considerations of personal safety and expediency will not interfere with accomplishing the greatest possible delay."
           - 8 January 1942
                - composite tank company made up of tanks from the 192nd and 194th sent to
                  East Coast Road north of Hermosa
                    - their job was to keep the East Road open  north of Hermosa and prevent the
                      Japanese from driving into Bataan before the main battle line had been formed
                - remainder of tanks ordered to bivouac for night south of Aubucay-Hacienda Road
                    - tankers had been fighting for a month without a rest
                    - tanks also needed overdue maintenance
                    - 17th Ordnance
                - all tank companies reduced to ten tanks
                - three per tank platoon
                - sent to reopen Moron Road so General Segunda's forces could withdraw
                - tanks knock out an anti-tank gun
                - two tanks disabled by landmines but recovered
                - mission abandoned
                - Gen. Segunda's troops escaped using beach but lost their heavy equipment
            - 12 January 1942
                - C Company, with D Company, 192nd, sent to Cadre Road
                    - forward position with little alert time
            - 13 January 1942
                - mines planted by ordnance prevented them from reaching Cadre Road
                - returned to battalion
            - 16 January 1942
                -  C Company sent to Bagac to reopen Moron Highway
                    - highway had been cut by Japanese
                    - Moron Highway, and Junction of Trail 162
                        - tank platoon fired on by antitank gun
                            - tanks knock out gun
                            - cleared roadblock with support of infantry
            - 20 January 1942
                - Banibani Road -tanks sent in to save 31st Infantry command post
            - 24 January 1942
                - tanks order to Hacienda Road in support of troops
                     - landmines planted by ordnance prevented them from reaching road
            - 26 January 1942
                - the battalion held a position a kilometer north of the Pilar-Bagac Road
                    - four self-propelled mounts with the battalion
                - 9:45 A.M. - warned by Filipino a large Japanese force was coming
                    - when the enemy appeared they opened up with all the battalion had
                - 10:30 A.M. - Japanese withdrew after losing 500 of 1200 men
                - prevented new defensive line being formed from being breached
            - 28 January 1942
                - 194th tanks given beach duty protecting southern beaches
                - guarded coast from Limay to Cabcaben
                - half-tracks patrolled roads
                    - maintained radio contact with on-shore and off-shore patrols

            - Unknown Date: transferred to Quartermaster Corps 

    - Escaped to Corregidor

        - swam to island 

Prisoner of War: 

    - 6 May 1942

POW Camps:

    - Philippines:

        - Cabanatuan
            - Hummel stated that why he was a POW in the camp he buried American POWs who were still
              alive. "They made us rout out the sick.  Then we had to take 20 or 30 of these poor guys and load
               them on doors or anything we could find and march them to the graves we had dug already.  We'd
               throw the men in the pits and start shoveling, trying not to think.  Sometimes their hands or legs
               stick out and hang limply and twist a little, or we'd hear a desperate, smothered cry."

Hell Ship:

    - Nagato Maru

        - Boarded: 6 November 1942

        - Sailed: Manila -7 November 1942
            - submarine attacks convoy
            - dysentery spreads among POWs
                - 17 POWs died

        - Arrived: Takao, Formosa - 11 November 1942

        - Sailed: 14 November 1942

        - Arrived: Pescadores Islands - 14 November 1942
            - remained off islands because of storm
            - lice spread among POWs

        - Sailed: 18 November 1942

        - Arrived: Keelung, Formosa - 18 November 1942

        - Sailed: 20 November 1942

        - Arrived: Moji, Japan - 24 November 1942
            - POWs disembarked, deloused, showered, fed, and issued new clothes

POW Camp:

    - Japan:

        - Tanagawa Camp

            - officers cleaned camp up
                - including latrines
            - POWs tore down a mountain with picks and shovels to build a dry-dock

        - Zentsuji Camp

            - Arrived: 15 January 1943
            - POWs worked as stevedores at railroad yard and the Port of Takamatsu
                - when American planes bombed rail yard, the POWs were locked inside boxcars
            - poor diet resulted in deaths of POWs
            - medicine and medical supplies were available to POWs
            - 25 June 1945 - large group of POWs transferred from camp
                - during trip, American planes were everywhere
                - the Japanese believing the train was going to be strafed, uncouple the engine and left the
                  baggage ars and boxcars the POWs were in as targets
                    - did this several times

        - Rokuroshi Camp

            - camp contained mostly officers

            - Arrived: 25 June 1945
Liberated: 7 September 1945
    - POWs evacuated - 8 September 1945
    - rode train to Yokohama
    - returned to the Philippine Islands
    - U.S.S. Storm King
        - Sailed: Manila - not known
        - Arrived: San Francisco - 15 October 1945
            - hospitalized at Letterman General Hospital

Discharged: 22 October 1946


     - returned to University of Washington and graduated ten years after he started

Reenlisted: Army Reserve
    - Rank: Major

    - Retired: Lieutenant Colonel

Married: Evelyn Nell Geisler - 21 August 1941

Children: 1 daughter, 2 sons

    - one son died at three years old

Occupation: Customer Service Supervisor - Johns-Manville Company

Second Marriage: Caroline Holger-Ricter - 21 November 1975

Died: 9 May 1997 - Mayfield, Washington


    - Claquato  Cemetery Association - Chehalis, Washington




Return to HQ Company