Pvt. Harold Dale Lane

    Pvt. Harold D. Lane was born on November 13, 1921, in Litchfield, Illinois.  He was the son of Mary Evaline Beck-Lane & Homer Lane.  His family lived at 622 South 24th Avenue in Bellwood and later 142 South Eleventh Avenue in Maywood.  Harold attended local schools in Bellwood and was a member of the class of 1939 of Proviso Township High School, but he left school early and worked at American Can Company in Maywood.  
In 1939, Harold joined the Illinois National Guard.  On November 25, 1940, he was called to federal service when the tank company was called to federal service for one year.
 Harold trained at Fort Knox, Kentucky, for almost a year.  During this time, he qualified as a motorcycle messenger for his company.  He then took part in maneuvers in Louisiana from September 1 through 30.  After the maneuvers, the battalion was ordered to Camp Polk, Louisiana, instead of returning to Ft. Knox.  None of the soldiers had any idea why they had not returned to Ft. Knox.  
    The battalion members learned that they were being sent overseas.  Those 29 years old or older were given the chance to resign from federal service. 
Harold received a furlough home.  It is likely that it was at this time that he married.  His wife, Adeline, in Davenport, Iowa.  The couple would setup their home at 142 South 11th Avenue in Maywood.
    The decision for this move -  which had been made in August 1941 - was the result of an event that took place in the summer of 1941.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf, in the Philippines, when one of the pilots, who was flying at a lower altitude, noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a flagged buoy in the water and saw another in the distance.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island which was hundred of miles away.  The island had a large radio transmitter.  The squadron continued its flight plan south to Mariveles and returned to Clark Field.
    When the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day.  The next day, when another squadron was sent to the area, the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat - with a tarp on its deck - which was seen making its way to shore.   Since communication between the Air Corps and Navy was difficult, the boat escaped.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
    Traveling west over different train routes, the battalion arrived in Ft. Mason in San Francisco, California, and were ferried on the U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe to Ft. MacDowell on Angel Island, where they received inoculations and physicals from the battalion's medical detachment.  Those who did not pass the physicals were transferred out of the unit, or held back and scheduled to rejoin the battalion at a later date.
    The 192nd boarded onto the U.S.A.T. Gen. Hugh L. Scott and sailed on Monday, October 27.  During this part of the trip, many tankers had seasickness, but once they recovered they spent much of the time training in breaking down machine guns, cleaning weapons, and doing KP.  The ship arrived at Honolulu, Hawaii, on Sunday, November 2 and had a two day layover, so the soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island.
    On Wednesday, November 5, the ship sailed for Guam but took a southerly route away from the main shipping lanes.  It was at this time it was joined by, the heavy cruiser, the U.S.S. Louisville and, another transport, the S.S. President Calvin Coolidge.  Sunday night, November 9, the soldiers went to bed and when they awoke the next morning, it was Tuesday, November 11.  During the night, while they slept, the ships had crossed the International Date Line.  On Saturday, November 15, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The Louisville revved up its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it shot off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out the smoke was from a ship that belonged to a friendly country.
    When they arrived at Guam on Sunday, November 16, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables before sailing for Manila the next day.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night and did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  The ships entered Manila Bay, at 8:00 A.M., on Thursday, November 20, and docked at Pier 7 later that morning.  At 3:00 P.M., most of the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg.  Those who drove trucks drove them to the fort, while the maintenance section remained behind at the pier to unload the tanks. 
    At the fort, they were greeted by Gen. Edward P.  King, who apologized that the men had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Field. The fact was that he had learned of their arrival days earlier.  He made sure that they had what they needed and that they all received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own dinner.  Ironically, November 20 was the date that the National Guard members of the battalion had expected to be released from federal service.
    Seventeen days before the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, Harold and the other members of Company B arrived in Manila.  The battalion was deployed Fort Stotsenburg.  At the fort, they were greeted by Gen. Edward King, who apologized that they had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Airfield.  He made sure that they all received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own.  Ironically, November 20 was the date that the National Guard members of the battalion had expected to be released from federal service. 
    The morning of December 1, the tankers were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field.  At all times, two members of each crew remained with their tank.  On the morning of December 8, 1941, the members of B Company were informed of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.  His tank and the others were sent to the perimeter of the airfield to guard against Japanese paratroopers.  About 12:45 in the afternoon as the tankers were eating lunch, planes approached the airfield from the north.  At first, the soldiers thought the planes were American.  It was only when bombs began exploding on the runways that they knew the planes were Japanese.
    The tank battalion received orders on December 21 that it was to proceed north to Lingayen Gulf.   Because of logistics problems, the B and C Companies soon ran low on gas.  When they reached Rosario, there was only enough for one tank platoon, from B Company, to proceed north to support the 26th Cavalry.
    On December 23 and 24, the battalion was in the area of Urdaneta.   The bridge they were going to use to cross the Agno River was destroyed and the tankers made an end run to get south of river.  As they did this, they ran into Japanese resistance early in the evening.  They successfully crossed at the river in the Bayambang Province.
    On December 25, the tanks of the battalion held the southern bank of the Agno River from Carmen to Tayung, with the tanks of the 194th holding the line on the Carmen-Alcala-Bautista Road. The tanks held the position until 5:30 in the morning on December 27.
    The tankers were at Santo Tomas near Cabanatuan on December 27th, and at San Isidro south of Cabanatuan on December 28 and 29.  On January 1, conflicting orders were received by the defenders who were attempting to stop the Japanese advance down Route 5.  Doing this would allow the Southern Luzon Forces to withdraw toward Bataan.  General Wainwright was unaware of the orders since they came from Gen. MacArthur's chief of staff. 
    Because of the orders, there was confusion among the Filipinos and American forces defending the bridges over the Pampanga River.  Due to the efforts of the Self Propelled Mounts, the 71st Field Artillery, and a frenzied attack by the 192nd Tank Battalion the Japanese were halted.  From January 2 to 4, the 192nd held the road open from San Fernando to Dinalupihan so the southern forces could escape.
    During the withdraw into the peninsula, the company crossed over the last bridge which was mined and about to be blown.  The 192nd held its position so that the 194th Tank Battalion could leap frog past it and then cover the 192nd's withdraw. The 192nd was the last American unit to enter Bataan.
    Over the next several months, the battalion fought battle after battle with tanks that were not designed for jungle warfare.  The tank battalions , on January 28, were given the job of protecting the beaches.  The 192nd was assigned the coast line from Paden Point to Limay along Bataan's east coast.  The Japanese later admitted that the tanks guarding the beaches prevented them from attempting landings.
    The company also took part in the Battle of the Pockets - from January 23 to February 17 - to wipe out Japanese soldiers who had been trapped behind the main defensive line after a Japanese offensive was stopped and pushed pack to the original line of defense.  The tanks would enter the pocket one at a time to replace a tank in the pocket.  Another tank did not enter the pocket until a tank exited the pocket.  Doing this was so stressful that each tank company was rotated out and replaced by one that was being held in reserve.
    To exterminate the Japanese, two methods were used.  The first was to have three Filipino soldiers ride on the back of the tank.  As the tank went over a Japanese foxhole, the Filipinos dropped three hand grenades into the foxhole.  Since the grenades were from WWI, one out of three usually exploded.
    The other method to use to kill the Japanese was to park a tank with one track over the foxhole.  The driver gave the other track power resulting with the tank spinning around and grinding its way down into the foxhole.  The tankers slept upwind of their tanks.
    While the tanks were doing this job, the Japanese sent soldiers, with cans of gasoline, against the tanks.  These Japanese attempted to jump onto the tanks, pour gasoline into the vents on the back of the tanks, and set the tanks on fire.  If the tankers could not machine gun the Japanese before they got to a tank, the other tanks would shoot them as they stood on a tank.  The tankers did not like to do this because of what it did to the crew inside the tank.  When the bullets hit the tank, its rivets would pop and wound the men inside the tank.  It was for their performance during this battle that the 192nd Tank Battalion would receive one of its Distinguished Unit Citations.
    Since the stress on the crews was tremendous, the tanks rotated into the pocket one at a time.  A tank entered the pocket and the next tank waited for the tank that had been relieved to exit the pocket before it would enter.  This was repeated until all the tanks in the pocket were relieved.
    What made this job so hard was that the Japanese dug "spider holes" among the roots the trees.  Because of this situation, the Americans could not get a good shot at the Japanese. 
    The tankers, from A, B, and C Companies, were able to clear the pockets.  But before this was done, one C Company tank which had gone beyond the American perimeter was disabled and the tank just sat there.  When the sun came up the next day, the tank was still sitting there.  During the night, its crew was buried alive, inside the tank, by the Japanese.  When the Japanese had been wiped out, the tank was turned upside down to remove the dirt and recover the bodies of the crew.  The tank was put back into use.
     At the same time the company took part in the Battle of the Points on the west coast of Bataan.  The Japanese landed troops but ended up trapped.  One was the Lapay-Longoskawayan points from January 23 to 29, the Quinawan-Aglaloma points from January 22 to February 8, and the Sililam-Anyasan points from January 27 to February 13.  The defenders successfully eliminated the points by driving their tanks along the Japanese defensive line and firing their machine guns.  The 45th Infantry, Philippine Scouts followed the tanks eliminating any resistance and driving the Japanese Marines over the edge of the cliffs where they hid in caves.  The tanks fired into the caves killing or forcing them out of them into the sea.
    The soldiers were hungry and began to eat everything they could get their hands on to eat.  The Carabao were tough but if they were cooked long enough they could be eaten.  They also began to eat horse meat provided by the 26th U. S. Cavalry.  To make things worse, the soldiers' rations were cut in half again on March 1, 1942.  This meant that they only ate two meals a day.
    The Japanese also were dropping surrender leaflets with a scantly clad blond on them.  The Japanese would have been more successful at getting the Americans to surrender if the picture had been hamburger, since the men were so hungry that they most likely would have surrendered for a good meal.
    In March, the amount of gasoline was reduced to 15 gallons a day for all vehicles except the tanks.  This would later be dropped to ten gallons a day.  At the same time, food rations were cut in half again.  Also at this time, Gen. Weaver suggested to Gen. Wainwright that a platoon of tanks be sent to Corregidor.
    The Japanese lunched an all out attack on April 3 against the defenders.  The tanks became a favorite target of the Japanese receiving fire on trails and while hidden in the jungle. and could not fight back.  The situation was so bad that other troops avoided being near the tanks, and the 26th Cavalry turned down a tank company's offer of assistance in a counter-attack.
    On April 7, 1942, the Japanese broke through the east side of the main defensive line on Bataan.  C Company was pulled out of their position along the west side of the line.  They were ordered to reinforce the eastern portion of the line.  Traveling south to Mariveles, the tankers started up the eastern road but were unable to reach their assigned area due to the roads being blocked by retreating Filipino and American forces.
   It was the evening of April 8 that Gen. Edward P. King decided that further resistance was futile, since approximately 25% of his men were healthy enough to fight, and he estimated they would last one more day.  In addition, he had over 6000 troops who sick or wounded and 40000 civilians who he feared would be massacred.  At 10:30 that night, he sent his staff officers to negotiate surrender terms.
    Tank battalion commanders received this order : "You will make plans, to be communicated to company commanders only, and be prepared to destroy within one hour after receipt by radio, or other means, of the word 'CRASH', all tanks and combat vehicles, arms, ammunition, gas, and radios: reserving sufficient trucks to close to rear echelons as soon as accomplished."     
    On April 9, 1942, Harold became a Prisoner Of War.  He most likely took part in what would become known as the "Bataan Death March."  The march started at Mariveles at the southern tip of Bataan.  The POWs received little food or water.  At San Fernando, they went put into a bull pin which was covered in human waste from previous POWs.
    The POWs were ordered to form 100 men detachments and marched to a train station.  There, they were packed into small wooden boxcars known as "Forty or Eights."  Each car could hold forty men or wight horses.  The Japanese put 100 men into each car.  Those who died remained standing until the living left the cars at Capas.
    From Capas, the POWs walked the last miles to Camp O'Donnell.  The camp was an unfinished Filipino training base which the Japanese pressed the camp into use as a POW camp on April 1, 1942.  When they arrived at the camp, the Japanese confiscated any extra clothing that the POWs had and refused to return it to them.  They searched the POWs and if a man was found to have Japanese money on them, they were taken to the guardhouse.  Over the next several days, gunshots were heard to the southeast of the camp.  These POWs had been executed for looting.
    There was only one water faucet in the camp, and the prisoners stood in line from two to eight hours waiting for a drink.  The Japanese guards at the faucet would turn it off for no reason and the next man in line would stand as long as four hours waiting for it to be turned on again.  This situation improved when a second faucet was added.
    There was no water for washing clothes, so the POWs would throw out their clothing when it had been soiled.  In addition, water for cooking had to be carried three miles from a river to the camp and mess kits could not be washed.  The slit trenches in the camp were inadequate and were soon overflowing since most of the POWs had dysentery.  The result was that flies were everywhere in the camp including the POW kitchens and in the food.
    The camp hospital had no soap, water, or disinfectant.  When the ranking American doctor at the camp wrote a letter to the camp commandant, Capt. Yohio Tsuneyoshi, asking for medical supplies, he was told never to write another letter.  When the Archbishop of Manila sent a truckload of medical supplies to the camp, Tsuneyoshi refused to allow the truck into the camp.  When the Japanese Red Cross sent medical supplies to the camp the Japanese took 95% of the supplies for their own use.
    The POWs in the camp hospital lay on the floor elbow to elbow and only one of the six medic assigned to care for 50 sick POWs was healthy enough to care for them.  When a representative of the Philippine Red Cross stated they could supply a 150 bed hospital for the camp, he was slapped in the face by a Japanese lieutenant.
    Each morning, the bodies of the dead were found all over the camp and were carried to the hospital and placed underneath it.  The bodies lay there for two or three days before they were buried in the camp cemetery by other POWs who were suffering from dysentery and/or malaria.  To clean the ground under the hospital, the ground was scraped and lime was spread over it.  The bodies of the dead were placed in the area, and the area they had been laying was scrapped and lime was spread over it.
    Work details were sent out on a daily basis.  Each day, the American doctors gave a list of names to the Japanese of the POWs who were healthier enough to work.  If the quota of POWs needed to work could not be met, the Japanese put those POWs who were sick, but could walk, to work.  The death rate among the POWs reached 50 men dying a day.
    Realizing that Camp O'Donnell was a death trap, Harold volunteered to go out on a detail to Pampanga Province.  The POWs on the detail tied together vehicles which had been disabled during the withdraw into Bataan.  They drove the vehicles to San Fernando.  From there, the vehicles were taken to Manila and sent to Japan.
    At some point on the detail, Harold came down with malaria, and he also developed beriberi.  He was returned to Cabanatuan.  According to medical records kept at the camp hospital, he was admitted to the camp hospital on July 4, 1942.  He remained in the hospital until he was discharged on August 3, 1942. 
    The camp was actually three camps.  Camp 1 was where the men who captured on Bataan and taken part in the death march where held.  Camp 2 did not have an adequate water supply and was closed.  It later reopened and housed Naval POWs.  Camp 3 was where those men captured when Corregidor surrender were taken.  In addition, men from Bataan who had been hospitalized when the surrender came were sent to the camp.  Camps 3 was later consolidated into Camp 1.
    Once in the camp, the POWs were allowed to run the camp.  The Japanese only entered if they had an issue they wanted to deal with.  To prevent escapes, the POWs set up a detail that patrolled the fence of the camp.  The reason this was done was that those who did escape and were caught, were tortured before being executed, while the other POWs were made to watch.  It is believed that no POW successfully escaped from the camp.
    In the camp, the Japanese instituted the "Blood Brother" rule.  If one man escaped the other nine men in his group would be executed.  POWs caught trying to escape were beaten.  Those who did escape and were caught, were tortured before being executed.  It is not known if any POW successfully escaped from the camp.
    The barracks in the camp were built to house 50 POWs, but most had between 60 to 120 POWs in them.  The POWs slept on bamboo slats, without mattresses, bedding, or mosquito netting.  Many quickly became ill.  The POWs were assigned to barracks which meant that the members of their group lived together, went out on work details together, and would be executed together since they were Blood Brothers.
    The POWs were sent out on work details to cut wood for the POW kitchens.  The two major details were the farm detail and the airfield detail which lasted for years.  A typical day on any detail lasted from 7:00 A.M. until  5:00 P.M.
    Rice was the main food given to the POWs fed to them as "lugow" which meant "wet rice."  During their time in the camp, they received few vegetables and almost no fruit.  Once in awhile, they received bread.
    The camp hospital was known as "Zero Ward" because it was missed by the Japanese when they counted barracks.  The sickest POWs were sent there to die.  The Japanese put a fence up around the building to protect themselves, and they would not go into the building.  There were two rolls of wooden platforms around the perimeter of the building.  The sickest POWs were put on the lower platform which had holes cut into it so the they could relieve themselves.  Most of those who entered the ward died.
    The POWs had the job of burying the dead.  To do this, they worked in teams of four men.  Each team carried a litter of four to six dead men to the cemetery where they were buried in graves containing 15 to 20 bodies.
    At some point Harold appears to have gone out on another detail became he became ill and was admitted to the hospital at Bilibid Prison on October 26, 1942.  According to medical records kept at the hospital suffering from kidney disease until he was discharged on June 28, 1943 and sent to Cabanatuan.  
    Harold went out on a work detail to to Fort McKinley where the POWs were housed in the barracks of the 45th Infantry, Philippine Scouts.  250 POWs lived in the barracks and had to sleep shoulder to shoulder on sawale floor mats and in ten men mosquito nets issued by the Japanese.  The POWs washed their clothes in buckets.  The meals for the POWs were cooked in four halves of 50 gallon oil barrows. They remained there until they were done cleaning up junk that had been left from the fighting. The POW compound was 350 feet by 150 feet.  Work for the POWs consisted of cleaning up scrap from the battle.
 When the detail started, the POWs were issued coconut fiber hats and shoes.  Both these items did not last long on the detail.  Later, the hats were replaced by Red Cross hats and new shoes in the Red Cross packages the POWs received in November 1943.  Although clothing was repeatedly issued, there was never enugh given out.
    The next place the POWs worked was at Nielsen Field.  The work started on January 29, 1943, and for the first six weeks the POWs marched 8 kilometers from Ft. McKinley to the airfield.  They were later moved to Camp Nielsen where they lived in Nipa huts that were 150 feet long by 20 feet wide. The huts had been built for them and had more room. Each day they were taken to the airfield by truck.  There, the POWs worked at constructing a northeast to southwest runway and building revetments.
    At first tents were provided for protection against the sun and rain, but many were stolen by the Filipinos and the rest deteriorated until they were useless.  There was plenty of water for drinking and adequate latrines were provided.  The POWs were divided into two groups.  One group worked for a hour while the other rested.  This was later reduced to two 15 minute breaks in the morning and afternoon.   Later, the number of breaks was increased to three 15 minute breaks in the morning and afternoon.
    The POWs worked from 8:00 A.M. to noon and from 1:00 P.M. to 5:00 P.M.  The POWs were divided into two groups. While one group was working for an hour, the other group rested.  The work was hard and called for the POWs to remove dirt and rock to the area where the runway was being built.  Wheelbarrows were used at first, which turned out to be ineffective and resulted in many POWs being physically unable to work.  The POWs received one day off a week.
    Small mining cars were brought in, and the POWs filled the cars with dirt and rocks before they were pushed by five men down a track from 200 feet to 500 feet long.  When they reached the area where the material was wanted, they emptied the car.
    On March 28, the Japanese instituted the "speedup program" to get the work done quicker.  The POWs did not know if it was because they had fallen behind in the construction of the runway, or if it was because the war was going badly for the Japanese, and they needed the runway finished.  This lasted until July 4 when it was ended.  When the work was finished on the runway, the POWs were moved, on October 25, 1943, to Camp Murphy #1 where they were housed in the former headquarters building.
    The POWs once again worked on constructing a runway.  This time it was a north/south runway  through a rice paddy at Zablan Field.  When the work stated the rice paddies were filled with water and it was the rainy season.  In addition to picks and shovels, the POWs also operated diesel compressors, rollers, and drills.  Each day they walked about three quarters of a mile to where the construction was taking place.  For lunch, they returned to their barracks.  There was never enough water for the POWs when working, so men attempted to bring it with them in bottles if they did not have canteens.
    No latrines were provided, so the POWs relieved themselves anywhere they wanted at the work site.  The spread of disease was prevented because of the sunshine, and frequent rains.  This problem was never adequately dealt with.
    In October 1943, the POWs' food ration was cut and many became ill.  Sick call took place in the evening until 8:00 P.M. when roll call took place.  A Japanese private determined who was sick enough not to work.  The American doctor later was allowed to decide which POWs could not work.  Often Japanese doctors went over his selections and determined which POWs would remain in the camp hospital.  To the American medical staff, it seemed that the Japanese doctors sent men to work because they wanted to save face.
    One of the biggest problems the POWs, and Japanese, were having at this time was what was known as "foot pain," which was a form of dry beriberi.  If a man in the hospital showed signs of it, one Japanese hit them in the head with a broom handle.  The Japanese slowly came to respect the American medical staff's selections and stopped questioning them.
    Later in 1944, while the POWs were building runways, the airfield was attacked by American planes.  For safety, they hid in the revetments as the planes strafed and bombed the field.  As they watched the events, they enjoyed watching the damage the planes were doing.  It was not long after witnessing the attack that he and the other POWs were sent to Bilibid Prison.    The Japanese built five new barracks at Camp Murphy and the POWs were moved to them on April 28, 1944.  This new housing was given the name Camp Murphy 2.  The original POW compound was located about 250 yards away.  A total of 200 POWs were housed in each of the barracks.  The entire POW compound was 350 by 400 feet.
    On January 4, 1944, the work day changed and the POWs now worked 7 A.M. to 11:00 A.M.  To avoid the heat of  the midday, the POWs started again at 1:30 and worked until 5:00 P.M.  Their one day off a week was cut to half of a day off.  Sometimes, they received a half a day off for some Japanese holiday.  Their work hours were changed a second time with their afternoon hours being extended until 6:00 P.M.
    The POWs were moved to Camp Murphy 2 on January 29, 1944, which was 200 yards from their old quarters.  On March 1, 1944, the POWs witnessed the execution of Pvt. George Garrett by the camp commander, Lt. Yoshi Koshi, for planning to escape.  According to the POWs, Garrett and two other men had planned an escape and were informed on by the Navy Chief Signalman, Harold Hirschberg, who the POWs considered a collaborator.  According to the POWs, Hirschberg told Garrett, who he had, had a fight with , "You'll never leave this camp alive." The POWs stated that over several days, the Japanese starved Garrett, beat him, and finally placed a garden hose in Garrett's mouth until his stomach was filled with water.  The Japanese then stood on his abdomen which caused his death three days later. 
    The POWs worked for one hour and were given one hour off.   Since they were divided into two groups, one group would always be working.  There job was to build a runway through rice paddies which meant they had to move dirt and rock to build it.  To do this, they had mining cars which they pushed down 300 to 500 feet down track to where the dirt was to be dumped.  The POWs work day started at 7:00 A.M. and they worked until 11: A.M. when they stopped.  At 1:30 P.M., they started again and worked until 5:00 P.M.  On May 28, 1944, an additional hour was added to their work day, and they worked until 6:00 P.M.
    The Japanese decided that work needed to be done at another airfield close by, so POWs were sent there to work.  The airfield was 4 kilometers from Camp Murphy, and they were taken to it in trucks.  They also received their meals at the airfield.
Harold and 1000 other POWs were taken to the Port Area of Manila and boarded onto the Noto Maru July 15.  All 1033 POWs were packed into the ship's only hold.  These ships were known as "Hell Ships" because of the conditions that the prisoners endured.
    On July 17, 1944, the Noto Maru sailed for Takao, Formosa, as part of a convoy.  During the trip, the convoy was attacked by an American submarine.  Another ship carrying 1500 POWs was sunk.  Arriving in Formosa on July 27, the ship anchored for the night before sailing the next day for Moji, Japan.  The ship arrived at Moji on August 3.  From there, the POWs were dispersed among various POW camps.
    Harold was sent to Tokyo Base Camp #1 which was also known as Omori.  In violation of the Geneva Convention, the camp was located near military installations and plants and factories that manufactured materials for the Japanese war effort.  The POWs worked jobs directly linked to the war effort which exposed that to bombings from American planes.  The Japanese did not provide adequate air raid shelters for the POWs.
    The POW barracks at the hospital were flimsy and made out of wood and were referred to as barns or huts.  Each barracks had four big rooms and two small bunks at the end of each building.  There were 19 straw mats  and 16 lockers in each barracks.  When a window broke, it was not replaced allowing wind to blown into the barracks even thought there was glass available.  The POWs washed their dishes in the same sinks used to wash soiled clothing.  None of the barracks were heated.  The only time any type of heating took place was right before the International Red Cross visited the hospital in March 1945.  The sick slept often slept together on a mat for warmth.  Lice were a problem in the barracks and there was also a rat problem.
    The American medical staff had little to no medicine to treat the sick with since most of the Red Cross packages had been rifled through and about half of what was in the packages had been appropriated by the Japanese.  Dr. Hisakichi Tokuda also would cancel the requests for certain drugs made by the POW doctors. 
    Another Japanese doctor at the camp, 2nd Lt. Hiroski Fujii, beat and kicked POWs who reported for sick call.  He also converted Red Cross supplies of his own use.  He performed a hemorrhoid operation on a screaming POW without anesthetic, although it was available for use.  When another POW needed an appendectomy, he performed the operation before the anesthetic took effect. 
    POW clothing, food, and medical care was inadequate, and the Red Cross boxes containing, medicine, medical equipment, clothing, and shoes, meant for the POWs, were misappropriated by the Japanese and used by them.   The POWs were denied mail and it was not uncommon for the Japanese to burn incoming and outgoing mail.
   The diet of the POWs in the camp consisted of barley, millet. miso soup.  Once in awhile the POWs would receive potatoes,  seaweed, octopus,  and a giant radish known as daikon. 
    Like in many other camps, the Japanese needed little reason to beat the POWs.  Many of the prisoners were beaten across the face with wooden shoes and received judo chops.  This was done as they stood at attention for hours.  One guard found it amusing to have the POWs salute trees.  If a man was ill and in the camp hospital, his food rations were cut in half.  The POWs were also put in punishment cells without adequate water or food.
    The POWs were frequently punished by being made to stand at attention, for long periods of time, during morning assembly as a collective punishment because one POW had broken a rule.  In addition, as they stood at attention, the guards would slap them and beat them.  In teh camp were captured crew members of B-29s who were referred to as "Special Prisoners."  They special in the sense that they were given half rations and denied medical care, mail, and religious services.  All the POWs in the camp were expected to salute all Japanese soldiers and civilians, and failing to do so resulted in a beating.
    Harold remained in the camp until he was liberated when Japan surrendered in September of 1945.  It should be mentioned that uring the war a number of POWs, from the camp, made propaganda broadcasts for the Japanese.
    Harold returned to the Philippines, by plane, for medical treatment.  It was at this time that he was promoted to staff sergeant.  Harold was boarded onto the U.S.S. Yarmouth and arrived in San Francisco on October 8, 1945.  He was sent to Letterman General Hospital for further medical treatment.
     Returning to Maywood, Harold was discharged, from the army, on December 16, 1945.  He returned to Proviso Township High School, as a student, to earn his diploma which was awarded in January 1946.  He would later reside in Rockford, Illinois, and became the father of a daughter and son.  Harold worked as a machinist until he retired and moved to New Mexico.
   Harold D. Lane died on January 22, 1994, and was buried in Section  9,  Site  1826, at Santa Fe National Cemetery in Santa Fe, New Mexico.


Return to Company B