Sgt. Edward Henry Trebs

    Sgt. Edward H. Trebs was born January 8, 1913, in Wisconsin to Hugo Trebs & Florence Duell-Trebs.  He had two sisters and two brothers.  Sometime during the 1920s his father died.  Edward completed the eighth grade and went to work as a farmhand to help support the family.  His family was residing in Bradford Township, Rock County, Wisconsin.
    At some point, Edward joined the Wisconsin National Guard.  He was still a member of the National  Guard when the unit was informed it was going to be federalized.  In September 1940, the company was designated A Company, 192nd Tank Battalion.  The members of the company reported to the armory, in Janesville, and packed their equipment for transport.  On November 28th, the company boarded a train for Fort Knox, Kentucky.

    When the tankers arrived at Ft. Knox, they learned that their barracks were not finished.  The area of the fort that they were assigned to was brand new.  They found themselves living in tents with stoves in them.  They remained in the tents several months.  When they did move into their barracks, the roads in front of them were mud since the winter was extremely wet.
    Edward, like all the other members of the battalion, learned to operate all the equipment of the battalion.  It is not known what he trained to do with the company. 
    In late August, the battalion was informed it would take part in maneuvers in Louisiana.  During the maneuvers the battalion performed exceptionally well.  After the maneuvers, instead of returning to Ft. Knox, the battalion remained at Camp Polk.  None of the members had any idea why they were being kept there.
    On the side of a hill, the battalion members were informed that they were being sent overseas.  They were told that this decision had been made by General George Patton.  Those members of the battalion who were 29 years old or older were given the opportunity to resign from federal service. 

    The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S. A. T. Hugh L. Scott and sailed on Monday, October 27th.  During this part of the trip, many tankers had seasickness, but once they recovered they spent much of the time training in breaking down machine guns, cleaning weapons, and doing KP.   The ship arrived at Honolulu, Hawaii, on Sunday, November 2nd and had a two day layover, so the soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island. 
    On Wednesday, November 5th, the ship sailed for Guam but took a southerly route away from the main shipping lanes.  It was at this time it was joined by, the heavy cruiser, the U.S.S. Louisville and, another transport, the S. S. Calvin Coolidge.  Sunday night, November 9th, the soldiers went to bed and when they awoke the next morning, it was Tuesday, November 11th.  During the night, while they slept, the ships had crossed the International Date Line.  On Saturday, November 15th, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The Louisville revved up its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it shot off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out the smoke was from a ship that belonged to a friendly country. During this part of the voyage, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The cruiser that was escorting the two transports revved up its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it took off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out that the unknown ship was from a friendly country.During this part of the voyage, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The cruiser that was escorting the two transports revved up its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it took off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out that the unknown ship was from a friendly countr
    When they arrived at Guam on Sunday, November 16th, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables before sailing for Manila the next day.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night and did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  The ships entered Manila Bay, at 8:00 A.M., on Thursday, November 20th, and docked at Pier 7 later that morning.  At 3:00 P.M., most of the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg.  Those who drove trucks drove them to the fort, while the maintenance section remained behind at the pier to unload the tanks.
    At the fort, they were greeted by Colonel Edward King, who apologized that the men had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Field, but the fact was he had just learned of their arrival a few days earlier.  He made sure that they all had what they needed and received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own dinner. 
Ironically, November 20th was the date that the National Guard members of the battalion had expected to be released from federal service.

    The members of the battalion pitched the tents in an open field halfway between the Clark Field Administration Building and Fort Stotsenburg.  The tents were set up in two rows and five men were assigned to each tent.  There were two supply tents and meals were provided by food trucks stationed at the end of the rows of tents.
For the next seventeen days the tankers worked to remove cosmoline from their weapons.  The grease was put on the weapons to protect them from rust while at sea.  They also loaded ammunition belts and did tank maintenance.

    On Monday, December 1st, the tanks were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field to guard against paratroopers.  The 194th Tank Battalion guarded the northern half of the airfield, while the 192nd guarded the southern half.  At all times, two members of every tank and half-track crew remained with their vehicles.  Meals were brought to them by food trucks.    
    At six in the morning on December 8th, the officers of the battalion were called to the radio room at the fort.  They were ordered to bring their tank platoons up to full strength at the perimeter of airfield.  All morning the sky was filled with American planes.  At noon, the planes landed to be refueled and the pilots went to lunch.  At 12:45, the tankers were having lunch and watched as 54 planes approached the airfield from the north.  As they watched, the saw "raindrops" falling from the planes.  When bombs began exploding, the soldiers knew the planes were Japanese.   
    When the Japanese were finished, there was not much left of the airfield.  The soldiers watched as the dead, dying, and wounded were hauled to the hospital on bomb racks, trucks, and anything that could carry the wounded was in use.  When the hospital filled, they watched the medics place the wounded under the building.  Many of these men had their arms and legs missing.
    That night the members of the company slept in a dry latrine that was near their bivouac since it was safer then their tents.  They had no idea that they had slept their last night on a bed.  The next morning, they saw the bodies of the dead lying on the ground.  Pilots who had night duty lay dead in their tents  The battalion remained at Clark Field until December 21st when it was sent north to Lingayen Gulf.  During the fall back from the area, Edward was wounded, in the legs, from shrapnel when the Japanese bombed a bridge he was near.  He was taken to hospital at Little Baguio where he developed tropical ulcers that would not heal.  The Japanese agreed to allow one ship out of the Philippines with the wounded.  The doctors determined that Edward should be on the ship.

   On December 31, 1941, the patients were informed that the Japanese had agreed to allow a ship to leave Manila with the wounded.  Edward and other patients were moved to the docks to be put on the ship. The ship was only about 2000 tons and had red crosses on white fields painted on its sides.  The patients were placed on cots on the deck of the ship because there was no room for them below deck. 

    At ten o'clock at night, the ship sailed from Manila.  The patients could see and hear the explosions of gasoline storage tanks being dynamited by American troops.  They had not been told about their destination, so when the silhouette of Corregidor loomed out of the darkness they believed this was their destination.  When the ship passed the island and it began to fade into the darkness, the patients knew, for the first time, that they were being sent to Australia.

    The remainder of the trip would was not uneventful.  First, the ship's crew had to battle a fire in its engine room.  Then, the ship had to struggle through a storm before arriving in Australia.

    In Australia, Edward was a patient at the 113th Australian General Hospital in Sydney.  He would spend the remainder of the war in Australia and met an Australian woman and married her. 
    When the war ended, Edward with his wife, returned to Janesville.  After visiting his relatives, the couple went to Mayo Hospital, Galesburg, Illinois.  While a patient there, he underwent surgery on his legs on November 26, 1945.  He was discharged from the Army on December 19, 1945.
    In May 1946, Edward and his wife, Hazel, moved to Glendale, California, so he could attend aviation mechanics school.  The couple remained in California and raised a family.  
    Edward H. Trebs passed away in Hacienda Heights, California, on April 15, 1997, and was buried at Rose Hill Memorial Park in Whittier, California.


Return to Company A