Pvt. Vendel J. Trinka Jr.
    Pvt. Vendel J. Trinka Jr. was born on May 25, 1919, in East Chicago, Indiana, to Vendal J. Trinka Sr., and Elizabeth Kriston-Trinka.  He was the oldest child of four children.  His parents were Hungarian immigrants.  The family moved to a farm in Hewitt Township, Marathon County, Wisconsin. 
    Vendel was inducted in the U.S. Army on April 7, 1941, and sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky, for basic training.  He was assigned to A Company, 192nd Tank Battalion during basic training.  The company had been a Wisconsin National Guard Tank Company so the Army  filled out the company with men from Wisconsin.
Almost a year after arriving in Kentucky, his battalion, the 192nd Tank Battalion, was sent to Louisiana to take part in maneuvers.  During the maneuvers the battalion performed exceptionally well.  After the maneuvers, instead of returning to Ft. Knox, the battalion remained at Camp Polk.  None of the members had any idea why they were being kept there.
    On the side of a hill, the battalion members were informed that they were being sent overseas.  They were told that this decision had been made by General George Patton.  Those members of the battalion who were 29 years old or older were given the opportunity to resign from federal service. 
    The battalion traveled by train to San Francisco.  By ferry, they were taken to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island.  On the island, they received inoculations and physicals.  Those members of the battalion who were found to have treatable medical conditions remained behind on the island.  They were scheduled to join the battalion at a later date.
The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.S Calvin Coolidge and sailed from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th, for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  They arrived at Honolulu on Sunday, November 2nd.  The soldiers were given leaves so they could see the island.  On November 5th, the ships sailed for Guam.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night.  While they passed the island, they did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  When they arrived at Guam, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables.  The ships sailed the same day for Manila and entered Manila Bay on Thursday, November 20th.  They docked at Pier 7 and the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg. 
    At the fort, they were greeted by Gen. Edward King.  The general apologized that the men had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Airfield.  He made sure that they all received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own. 
Ironically, November 20th was the date that the National Guard members of the battalion had expected to be released from federal service.
For the next seventeen days the tankers worked to remove cosmoline from their weapons.  The grease was put on the weapons to protect them from rust while at sea.  They also loaded ammunition belts and did tank maintenance.
    On the morning of December 8, 1941, the members of A Company were informed of the Japanese attack on Clark Field.  His tank and the others were sent to the perimeter of the airfield to guard against Japanese paratroopers.  About 12:45 in the afternoon as the tankers were eating lunch, planes approached the airfield from the north.  At first, the soldiers thought the planes were American.  It was only when bombs began exploding on the runways that they knew the planes were Japanese.
    The 192nd remained at Clark field for about a week before they were ordered to the barrio of Dau so it would be near a road and railroad.  For the next four months, the tankers held positions so that the other units could disengage and form a defensive line.
    At Gumain River, the tank companies formed a defensive line along the south bank of the river.  When the Japanese attacked the position at night, they were easily seen since they were wearing white t-shirts.  It was there that the tankers found that the Japanese soldiers were high on drugs when they attacked.  Among the dead Japanese, the tankers found the hypodermic needles and syringes.   The tankers were able to hold up the Japanese for several weeks.  
    On another occasion the company was in bivouac on two sides of a road.  They posted sentries and most of the tankers attempted to get some sleep.  The sentries heard noise down the road and woke the company.  Every man grabbed a weapon.  As they watched, a Japanese bicycle battalion rode into their bivouac.  The tankers opened fire with everything they had.  When they stopped firing, they had completely wiped out the bicycle battalion.
   On March 2nd or 3rd, during "The Battle of the Points."  The tanks had been sent in to wipe out two pockets of Japanese soldiers who had been landed behind the main defensive line.  The Japanese were soon cut off.  When the Japanese attempted to land reinforcements, they landed them at the wrong place creating another pocket.  The night of April 8, 1942, the members of A Company circled their tanks.  Each tank fired one armor piercing shell into the engine of the tank in front of it.  The tankers next opened up the gasoline valves and dropped hand grenades into the turrets.  The next morning at 7:00 A.M. they became Prisoners of War.
The POWs made their way north from Mariveles.  The first five miles of the march were uphill.  At one point, the members of the company had to run past Japanese artillery firing on Corregidor.  They received little water and little food.  When they reached San Fernando, they were put into a bull pen.  In one corner of the bull pen was a trench the POWs were suppose to use as a washroom.  The surface of the trench was alive with maggots.  How long they remained in the bull pen is not known. 
    The Japanese ordered the POWs to form ranks.  They were marched to the train stationed and packed into small wooden
boxcars used to haul sugarcane.  Each car could hold forty men or eight horses.  The Japanese  packed 100 POWs into each car.  Those who died remained standing since there was no place for them to fall.  At Capas, the living left the cars and the dead fell to the floors.  They walked the last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell.
Camp O'Donnell was an unfinished Filipino training base.  There was one water faucet for the entire camp.  Men literally died for a drink.  The death rate in the camp began to rise until as many as 55 men dying each day.  The burial detail worked non-stop to bury the dead.  Often, when they returned the next morning, the wild dogs had dug up the bodies or the bodies were sitting up in their graves.
    To lower the death rate among the POWs the Japanese opened a new POW camp at Cabanatuan. 
It is not known if Vendel was sent to the camp when it opened or if he was sent there after returning from a work detail.  According to records kept by the medica staff, Vendel was hospitalized on Sunday, July 19, 1942, suffering from malaria.  He remained in the camp's hospital until he was discharged on December 4th.
    In July 1943, Vendel was sent out on a work detail to Lipa, Batangas.  The POWs were housed at the Pasay School.  The interior of the school was divided into eighteen rooms, and 30 POWs were assigned to each room.  The Japanese did not supply beds, so the POWs slept on the floor.  Their food was what the Japanese threw in the garbage as uneatable. 

    Vendel remained at the camp until he was selected to go out on a work detail.  In July 1943, he was sent to Lipa, Batangas, on the Las Pinas Work Detail.  The POWs were housed in the Pasay School in eighteen rooms.  30 men were assigned to each room and slept on the floor.  Each morning they got up and did exercises.  When they finished, they were fed breakfast and marched about a mile to the airfield.  As they marched, the Filipino civilians expressed their sympathy for the POWs whose clothing had deteriorated to rags.
    On this detail, the POWs had nothing but picks and shovels to build the runways.  At first the work was hard but not as hard as it was going to get.  About 400 yards from where they began working where hills.  The POWs removed these hills with picks and shovels.  The dirt was put into wheel barrows and carried to a swamp and dumped as landfill.  This turned out to be inefficient, so the Japanese brought in mining cars and railroad track.  Two POWs pushed each car to where it was to be dumped.  He would remain on this detail for almost seventeen months.

    The brutality shown to the POWs was severe.  The first Japanese commander of the camp, a Lt. Moto, was called the "White Angel" because he wore a spotless naval uniform.  He was commander of the camp for slightly over thirteen months.  One day a POW collapsed while working on the runway.  Moto was told about the man and came out and ordered him to get up.  When he couldn't four other Americans were made to carry the man back to the Pasay School. 
    At the school, the Japanese guards gave the man a shower and straightened his clothes as much as possible.  The other Americans were ordered to the school.  As they stood there, the White Angel ordered an American captain to follow him behind the school.  The POW was marched behind the school and the other Americans heard two shots.  The American officer told the men that the POW had said, "Tell them I went down smiling." There, the White Angel shot the POW as the man smiled at him.   As the man lay on the ground, he shot him a second time.  The American captain told the other Americans what had happened.  The White Angel told them that this was what going to happen to anyone who would not work for the Japanese Empire.  
    It is known he was hospitalized at Bilibid Prison sometime in 1943.  Afterwards, he was sent to Cabanatuan.
    Vendel was sent to Japan on on the Taga Maru.  The ship sailed from Manila on September 20, 1943, it arrived at Takao, Formosa, on September 23rd.  The ship remained in port for three days before it sailed.  It arrived at Moji, Japan, on October 5th.
  The POWs were disembarked, broken into detachments, and taken by train to the various POW camps. In Vendel's case it was Hirohata Camp
    The POWs in the camp worked at the
Seitetsu Steel Mill.  The work included cleaning slag from the furnaces, working the blast furnaces, and unloading cargo and ore.  On July 16, 1944, the camp was closed and the POWs were sent to Nagoya #9.  In this new camp, the POWs once again worked as stevedores.  This time on the Iwase Docks.  Vendel was in this camp when he was liberated on September 5, 1945.
    After Vendel was liberated he was returned to the Philippines for medical treatment.  He then was returned to the United States.  Vendel, because of health reasons, was not discharged until March 3, 1947.
    Vendel married Violet S. Ogenich on July 31, 1954, in Chicago, Illinois.  The couple resided in Cook County, Illinois, and became the parents of one daughter and two sons.  Violet passed away on July 22, 1981.  After her death, Vendel moved to Prattsville, Arkansas.  According to his death certificate, Vendal Trinka committed suicide on September 10, 2000, and his remains were cremated.


Return to A Company