Pvt. John Franklin Ross

    Pvt. John Franklin Ross was the son of Casper P. Ross & Elizabeth Green-Ross.  He was born on June 10, 1915, in Kaufman, Texas.  With his two sisters and two brothers, he attended local schools in Wills Point and graduated from Wills Point High School.

    On March 19, 1941, John was inducted into the U. S. Army at Dallas, Texas.  He was sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky for basic training.  There, he became a member of the 753rd Tank Battalion.  

    During his training, it was found that he could operate the radio, so he was trained to be a radio operator.  He was later assigned to a command tank of one of the platoons of C Company.

    In the late summer of 1941, John and the rest of the 753rd were sent to Camp Polk, Louisiana.  Although at Camp Polk, the 753rd did not take part in the maneuvers.  The one thing that John remembered about the maneuvers is that he and the other draftees put up verbal abuse from the "lifers" who resented them.

    After the maneuvers ended, the 192nd Tank Battalion received orders that it was being sent overseas.  According to John, replacements for members of the 192nd who were considered "too old" to go overseas were being sought.  John took the place of a man who did not want to go to the Philippine Islands.  The man was afraid that if he was sent to the Philippines, he would be killed by the Japanese.  John not having any family obligations volunteered to take his place.

     John, with the rest of his new tank battalion, was sent west by train to San Francisco.  After being inoculated.  The battalion sailed, on the U.S.A.T. Hugh L. Scott, from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  He recalled that ship was crowded and men got into fights over who would sleep in the bottom bunks. During the trip, John liked to go topside all the way to the bow of the ship to watch the ship go up and down in the water.  Being topside also helped him get over his seasickness.  They arrived in Hawaii on Sunday, November 2nd, and had a layover.  The soldiers received passes and allowed to explore the islands.  They sailed again on Tuesday, November 4th, for Guam. 
    When the ships arrived at Guam, they took on bananas, vegetables, coconuts, and water.  The soldiers remained on ship since the convoy was sailing the next day. About 8:00 in the morning on November 20th, the ships arrived at Manila Bay.  After arriving at Manila, it was three or four hours before they disembarked.  Most of the battalion boarded trucks and rode to Ft. Stotsenburg north of Manila.
    At the fort, the tankers were met by General Edward King, who welcomed them and made sure that they had what they needed.  He also was apologetic that there were no barracks for the tankers and that they had to love in tents.  The fact was he had not learned of their arrival until days before they arrived.  He made sure that they received Thanksgiving Dinner before he had his own.
    For the next seventeen days the tankers spent much of their time removing cosmoline from their weapons.  They also spent a large amount of time loading ammunition belts.  The plan was for them, with the 194th Tank Battalion, to take part in maneuvers.

    The tanks were ordered to the perimeter of the Clark Field to guard against Japanese paratroopers on December 1st to guard against paratroopers.  Two members of each tank remained with their tank at all times. The morning of December 8th, the officers of the battalions met and were informed of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor hours earlier.  The 192nd letter companies were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Airfield.
    All morning long, the sky was filled with American planes.  At noon, all the planes landed and the pilots went to lunch.  At 12:45 planes approached the airfield from the north.  The tankers on duty at the airfield counted 54 planes.  When bombs began exploding, the men knew the planes were Japanese.  After the attack the 192nd remained at Ft. Stotsenburg for almost two weeks.  They were than sent to the Lingayen Gulf area where the Japanese had landed.

    The tank battalion received orders on December 21st that it was to proceed north to Lingayen Gulf.   Because of logistics problems, the B and C Companies soon ran low on gas.  When they reached Rosario, there was only enough for one tank platoon, from B Company, to proceed north to support the 26th Cavalry.
    On December 23rd and 24th, the battalion was in the area of Urdaneta.   The bridge they were going to use to cross the Agno River was destroyed and the tankers made an end run to get south of river.  As they did this, they ran into Japanese resistance early in the evening.  They successfully crossed at the river in the Bayambang Province.
    On December 25th, the tanks of the battalion held the southern bank of the Agno River from Carmen to Tayung, with the tanks of the 194th holding the line on the Carmen-Alcala-Bautista Road. The tanks held the position until 5:30 in the morning on December 27th.
    The tankers were fell back toward Santo Tomas near Cabanatuan on December 27th, and December were at San Isidro south of Cabanatuan on December 28th and 29th.  While there, the bridge over the Pampanga River was destroyed, they were able find a crossing over the river.  
    At Cabu, seven tanks of the company fought a three hour battle with the Japanese.  The main Japanese line was south of Saint Rosa Bridge ten miles to the south of the battle.
  The tanks were hidden in brush as Japanese troops passed them for three hours without knowing that they were there.  While the troops passed, Lt. William Gentry was on his radio describing what he was seeing.  It was only when a Japanese soldier tried take a short cut through the brush, that his tank was hidden in, that the tanks were discovered.  The tanks turned on their sirens and opened up on the Japanese.  They then fell back to Cabanatuan.           
    C Company was re-supplied and withdrew to Baluiag where the tanks encountered Japanese troops and ten tanks.  It was at Baluiag that Gentry's tanks won the first tank victory of World War II against enemy tanks.       

    After this battle, C Company made its way south.  When it entered Cabanatuan, it found the barrio filled with Japanese guns and other equipment.  The tank company destroyed as much of the equipment as it could before proceeding south.  John remembered that his tank platoon was moving through a Filipino barrio.  The town square had a stature in the middle of it.  Suddenly, a Japanese tank appeared in the other side of the town square.  His tank got off the first shot, but the gunner rushed the shot and hit the stature.  The Japanese tank fired but also missed.  The shot came so close to his tank that the crew saw the fireball go by the turret of their tank.  By this time, they had reloaded and the gunner had time to place his second shot.  This time he made a direct hit on the Japanese tank.    
    On December 31, 1941,  Company was sent out reconnaissance patrols north of the town of Baluiag.  The patrols ran into Japanese patrols, which told the Americans that the Japanese were on their way.  Knowing that the railroad bridge was the only way into the town and to cross the river, Lt. Gentry set up his defenses in view of the bridge and the rice patty it crossed. 

    Early on the morning of the 31st, the Japanese began moving troops and across the bridge.  The engineers came next and put down planking for tanks.  A little before noon Japanese tanks began crossing the bridge.  

    Later that day, the Japanese had assembled a large number of troops in the rice field on the northern edge of the town.  One platoon of tanks under the command of 2nd Lt. Marshall Kennady were to the southeast of the bridge.  Gentry's tanks were to the south of the bridge in huts, while third platoon commanded by Capt Harold Collins was to the south on the road leading out of Baluiag2nd Lt. Everett Preston had been sent south to find a bridge to cross to attack the Japanese from behind.  

    Major Morley came riding in his jeep into Baluiag.  He stopped in front of a hut and was spotted by the Japanese who had lookouts in the town's church's steeple.  The guard became very excited so Morley, not wanting to give away the tanks positions, got into his jeep and drove off.  Bill had told him that his tanks would hold their fire until he was safely out of the village.

    When Gentry felt the Morley was out of danger, he ordered his tanks to open up on the Japanese tanks at the end of the bridge.  The tanks then came smashing through the huts' walls and drove the Japanese in the direction of Lt. Marshall Kennady's tanks.  Kennady had been radioed and was waiting.

    Kennady's platoon held its fire until the Japanese were in view of his platoon and then joined in the hunt.  The Americans chased the tanks up and down the streets of the village, through buildings and under them.  By the time Gentry's unit was ordered to disengage from the enemy, they had knocked out at least eight enemy tanks.
    During the withdraw into the peninsula, the company crossed over the last bridge which was mined and about to be blown.  The 192nd held its position so that the 194th Tank Battalion could leap frog past it and then cover the 192nd's withdraw. The 192nd was the last American unit to enter Bataan.
Over the next several months, the battalion fought battle after battle with tanks that were not designed for jungle warfare.  The tank battalions , on January 28th, were given the job of protecting the beaches.  The 192nd was assigned the coast line from Paden Point to Limay along Bataan's east coast.  The Japanese later admitted that the tanks guarding the beaches prevented them from attempting landings.  
C Company also took part in the Battle of the Pockets to wipe out Japanese soldiers who had been trapped behind the main defensive line.  The tanks would enter the pocket one at a time to replace a tank in the pocket.  Another tank did not enter the pocket until a tank exited the pocket.
To exterminate the Japanese, two methods were used.  The first was to have three Filipino soldiers ride on the back of the tank.  As the tank went over a Japanese foxhole, the Filipinos dropped three hand grenades into the foxhole.  Since the grenades were from WWI, one out of three usually exploded.
    The other method to use to kill the Japanese was to park a tank with one track over the foxhole.  The driver gave the other track power resulting with the tank spinning around and grinding its way down into the foxhole.

The tankers slept upwind of their tanks.       

    In John's opinion, the tanks were well armed with machine guns.  Japanese troops on foot were no match for the tanks, but everyone of the Japanese would shoot at the tanks when they saw them.

    In the first engagements with the Japanese, John believed that the tanks did a lot of damage to the Japanese troops.  The Japanese liked to dig foxholes to hide in and fight from.  To clear out the Japanese, the tankers would stop with one of their tank's tracks over the foxhole.  The driver would then pivot the tank on that track to make it borrow into the ground.  Eventually, the Japanese soldier inside the foxhole was crushed.

    After some of the heaviest engagements, John stated that the tankers slept upwind of their tanks.  The reason the tankers did this was they didn't want to smell the stench from the flesh and hair caught in the tracks of the tanks.

    John recalled that during some of the engagements with the Japanese that the Japanese sent soldiers against the tanks carrying cans of gasoline.  The Japanese would attempt to jump onto the tanks, pour gasoline into the vents on the back of the tanks, and attempt to set them on fire.  If the tankers could not machine gun them before they got to the tanks, they would shoot them as they stood on the tanks.  The tankers did not like to do this because of what it did to the crews inside the tanks.

    Since the tanks were riveted, when the turrets were hit by machine gun fire, the rivets would pop and ricochet inside the tanks.  The rivets sparked when when they hit the sides of the crew compartment.  This situation was made worse by the loud sound of bullets from machine guns hitting the tank.  The biggest danger from the rivets was  the possibility that one could hit one of the tankers in the eye.

    Fighting in the jungle created many problems. John stated that the Japanese liked to use the large roots of the trees for cover.  Attempting to clear the Japanese out was a problem.  If the tree was hit by an artillery shell, it would cut down the tree but not hurt the Japanese soldier and he would survive.

    In one such incident, John told how a Japanese soldier was hiding in foxhole between the roots of a tree.  The Americans fired at the soldier hitting the tree.  Wood chips from the bullets fell into the foxhole slowly filling it up leaving less room for the soldier.  After awhile, John and the other tankers could see his backpack.  When he had been pushed up high enough, he was killed by the American soldiers.

    During the retreat into Bataan, the tanks were moved at night to prevent them from being strafed by Japanese planes.  In the jungle it was very dark.  John was in the command tank as the tank was crossing a narrow bridge.  When one of the tank's tracks slipped off the side.  The tank fell off the bridge and landed upside down in the bed of a stream.  When the tank hit the ground, John fell against the side of the tank.  A bolt sticking through the armor hit him in the temple and went deep into his head.  Afterwards, John bled a lot from the wound and suffered from headaches.  After he became a Prisoner of War, John crossed the same bridge repeatedly.  Each time, he would look down and see the tank still sitting upside down in the stream.

    After the Filipinos and Americans had withdrawn into the Bataan Peninsula, the tankers found themselves under attack from Japanese planes.  To protect themselves from the planes, the tanks were hidden, during the day, in the jungle where the canopy from the trees was so thick that no direct sunlight came through.  As a result, he and the other soldiers were very pale.  To get a tan, when no planes were around, the soldiers sunned themselves in what little direct sunlight they found.

    It was at this time that John had an incident with a Japanese rifle.  The tanks were bivouacked, and he was walking along the far edge of their position.  As he walked, he spotted a Japanese rifle on the ground.  John wondered if he could hit anything with the gun, so he tied a string to the gun and moved it with the string to see if it was booby-trapped.  After determining that it wasn't, John picked the gun up, racked a round into the chamber and fired at a tree.  This was a big mistake!   Everyone knew the sound that a Japanese rifle made.  The entire camp came alive with the shot being so close.  John received a royal chewing out for firing the gun.

    During this time, everyone was expected to volunteer for dangerous (suicide) missions to gather intelligence on the Japanese or to destroy something.  In his own words, "It was a thing you had to do."  Being from the country, John believed that he had an advantage over the Japanese soldiers who most likely had grownup in the city.  John had grownup shooting guns at game.  He thought that most of the Japanese had never touched a gun before joining the military.  So after a few shots, John would settle down and feel that his odds were better than theirs.

    One of the greatest dangers facing the tankers at this time were snipers.  The snipers would tie themselves onto trees and sit in them among the branches for days.  One sniper had been taking shots at the tankers for days, so John crawled forward with a M-1 while using a log as cover.  After the sniper took a shot and racked the rifle bolt, John determined that the sniper was in a particular tree.  John began firing on the lower branches of the tree where they were attached to the trunk and worked his way up.

    John believed that he must have been getting closer because while he was firing, the sniper took a shot at him.  Finally, the sniper got so close to hitting John in the head that John backed off.  The Americans brought a machine gun forward and raked the tree with fire where John thought the sniper was.  They hit him and he fell from the branches. He jerked to a stop and hung from his belt which he had used to tie himself to a branch.  An officer wanted the Japanese brought down, so John shot the belt until it snapped and the soldier fell to the ground.

    John and the other members of his tank crew were assigned guard duty.  Their job was to to prevent Japanese infiltrators.  The tankers set up a road block along a gravel road and stopped and searched everyone coming down the road.  John recalled that a Filipino man with his head down who was peddling fast approached them on a bicycle.  John ordered the man to stop, but he kept on coming.  John stood in the middle of the road and hollered for him to halt, but the man kept on coming and rode past John.  John's orders were not to let anyone through without being searched.  As the man road off, John pulled his .45 pistol and aimed it right at the man's butt.  When he fired, the bullet hit the back tire near the road and threw gravel everywhere.  The Filipino threw his feet straight into the air and tumbled off the bicycle.  John and the other soldiers ran over to the man and inspected what he was carrying but found nothing that was of danger to the soldiers.  The Filipino was skinned up pretty badly, but he took off the back tire from the rim and road off.  John never knew why the man never stopped.

    The morning of April 9, 1942, John and the other members of C Company received the word of the surrender from one of the battalion's officers.  They were instructed to destroy their equipment and then meet the Japanese at Mariveles on the southern tip of Bataan.  John recalled that they drained the oil out of some of the jeeps and trucks and ran them to burn up the engines.  For others, they poured sand into the motors and ran them.  They also took their guns apart and scattered the pieces so that they would not be found.

    At first, the soldiers had been ordered to travel without arms, but John wanted to keep his tommy-gun to protect the soldiers from bandits or Japanese soldiers.  The commanding officer of C Company, William Gentry, spoke to Headquarters over the radio and after some debate, got permission for John to keep his gun.  Before they left to meet the Japanese, John and the other men removed all tanker insignia from their uniforms since the tanks had done a lot of damage to the Japanese.  All during the time that he was a POW in the Philippines, Japanese guards would ask, "You tanker?"  Anyone found with a tanker insignia or admitting to be a member of a tank battalion disappeared or were killed.

    On the way to the meeting place, John and the other soldiers saw a bus full a Filipinos with men riding on the roof.  They stopped the bus and the driver told them to get on the roof.  The first man up the ladder had his hand stomped on by a Filipino soldier who also pushed him off the ladder.  John climbed up the ladder and when the Filipino went to stomp on his hand, he stuck the tommy-gun in the man's face and made him back away.  John made the other Filipinos make room for the tankers and they rode until they were closer to Mariveles.  

    When the Americans met up with the Japanese, they took John's tommy-gun and searched everyone.  The Japanese took what they wanted and looked for unit identification or insignia.  Seeing what the Japanese were doing, John dug a hole with the heal of his boot and slipped the photo he had of his aunt into it without being observed.

    From Mariveles, John, with the other members of C Company, started what became known as the death march.  On the march, John went without food and had little water.  He also witnessed atrocities committed by the Japanese. The worst thing that he saw happened when a  Japanese soldier started yelling at an officer for moving too slow.  Without warning, the guard shot the officer in the stomach.  The man fell to the ground in agony to the ground.  As he lay there, he kicked, rolled and screamed.  The guard did not allow any of the other Americans help the officer.  So, he slowly died.

    At San Fernando, John and the other POWs were packed into small wooden boxcars.  They were packed in so tightly that the men who died remained standing.  When the survivors climbed off the cars at Capas, the bodies of the dead fell out of the cars.  From there, John walked the last few miles to Camp O'Donnell.

    During John's time at Camp O'Donnell, he went out on work details.  He did this regardless of how sick or starved he was.  On these details he cut down trees, drove supply trucks, built roads and did farm work.

    Of all the details that John worked, the worst was the burial detail.  He first worked this detail at Camp O'Donnell and continued working it at Cabanatuan after the new camp opened.  He recalled that at Camp O'Donnell the bodies were put into a metal shed until they could be buried.  The bodies stacked up faster than they could bury them.  The POWs on the detail worked in teams.  They would carry the body in a sling on a pole.  The pole rested on their shoulders.

    When selecting a body, John would climb the pile and select the smallest and least ripe body that he could find.  Some of the dead had had wet beriberi and were swollen and very heavy, so he did not chose those.  If the body had been dead for awhile, the skin would come off in the hands of the two men while they picked it up.  To get the skin off their hands, the POWs would rub their hands together and roll the skin into balls.  They would then put the body into the sling and attempt to standup at the same time.

    John stated that if he had a good partner, they would stand up at the same time.  The two men then would walk in a rhythm with the bounce of the sling.  Some men couldn't or wouldn't do this right.  So when working with these men, John would get up quicker and put the weight of the lift on the other man.  The one lasting effect from working this detail on John was that he never liked to handle peaches because their peals felt too much like the skin of a corpse.
    At Cabanatuan, the death rate among the POWs dropped after the men received Red Cross packages.  It is known from hospital records that John was admitted to the camp hospital on July 10, 1942.  No record shows why he was admitted to the hospital and no date was given for when he was discharged from the hospital.
    In July 1943, John was selected to go on a work detail to build runways.  This detail was known as the Lipa Batangas. 
The POWs on the detail built runways with picks and shovels.  Every other day on the detail, the POWs were alternated and one group worked on a farm. John developed beriberi and was sent to Bilibid Prison, where he was admitted to the hospital on December 30, 1942.  He remained there until until February 10, 1943, when he was discharged and sent to Cabanatuan.
    On September 18, 1943, John with other POWs left Cabanatuan for the Port Area of Manila.  On Pier #7, they were boarded onto the Taga Maru.  The ship sailed on September 20, 1943.  What John remember about the ship was that it was too small for the ocean.  The Japanese also would not allow the POWs out of the hold even though many of the POWs were seasick.  Those who had to vomit vomited into a steel trough in the hold.  This same trough was used as the POWs' toilet.  As the ship was tossed around, all that was in the trough sloshed back and forth and sprayed those POWs standing near the trough.

    The Taga Maru arrived at Moji, Japan on October 2, 1943.  John was taken to Sendai #5-B in the northern part of Japan.  The POWs in the camp worked at a steel mill owned by Nippon Steel.  Conditions for the POWs were not very good.  Although the climate was cold, the POWs' barracks had little or no heat.  He recalled that one day the Japanese announced that the POWs were to take a bath.  The POWs removed their clothes and bathed in groups in a large vat filled with hot water.  John recalled that it was the only time he had been warm while in Japan.  When they got out, the Japanese sprayed the POWs with cold water.  Some men refused to let the Japanese do this.  Within a few weeks, they had died of pneumonia.

     During his time at Sendai #5, John worked as a stevedore unloading and loading ships.  He also did other jobs at the steel mill.  He and the other POWs had no idea of how the war was going.  All they had to go on were rumors.  In John's opinion, those men who placed their hope on the belief that they would be rescued by a certain date often gave up hope and died after the date came and went without anything happening.

    On September 15, 1945, John was liberated by American forces and later returned to the Philippine Islands.  On the U.S.S. Admiral C. F. Hughes, he arrived at Seattle, Washington, on October 9, 1945, and sent to Madigan General Hospital at Ft. Lewis.  He returned to Texas and was discharged, from the army, on October 31, 1946.  He married Edna Lewis Mickey.  Together, they raised four children.  John went to college on the GI Bill and became a high school science teacher at Eastern Hills High School in Fort Worth, Texas.  He taught biology and chemistry.

    John F. Ross passed away on January 16, 2004.  He was buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery , Fort Worth, Texas.


Return to C Company