M/Sgt. Osborne McDonald

    M/Sgt. Osborne McDonald was the son of Mrs. Mary Anderson and was born on April 15, 1905, in Hampton, Ontario, Canada.  It is known that he had three brothers and five sisters.   At some point, his family resided moved to Racine, Wisconsin.

    After finishing his schooling, Osborne took a job at the local General Motors plant in Janesville where he worked as a machinist.  He resided at 210 West Laurel Avenue in Janesville and joined the Wisconsin National Guard's 32nd Tank Company headquartered in an armory in Janesville.  During his years with the tank company, he served as the chief mechanic for the company.

    Osborne's mother passed away before he was called to federal service in the fall of 1940.  On November 27th, the company left for Ft. Knox, Kentucky and a year of federal service.  His tank company was now A Company, 192nd Tank Battalion and assigned to duty at Fort Knox, Kentucky.

    In January, 1941, Headquarter Company was formed with men from the four letter companies of the battalion.  It was at this time that Osborne was transferred to the company.  With this transfer, he was put in charge of tank maintenance.  It was his job to make sure that the tanks, trucks, jeeps, and motorcycles ran.

    The one thing that Osborne, and the other members A Company who had been selected to join HQ Company, were known for was their love of beer.  On Saturday night, they would buy at least one case of beer and drink it.  During these gatherings, Osborne would often tell stories.  Many were stories from famous books.  Members of the company stated that he never told the same story twice during their entire time at Ft. Knox.

    After taking part in maneuvers in Louisiana, in the late summer of 1941, Osborne learned with the other members of the 192nd that the tank battalion was being sent overseas.  Being almost forty years old, Osborne was given the chance to resign from federal service, but he chose to go overseas with the 192nd.  Osborne was given leave home to take care of business and say goodbye to family and friends.  He no sooner had he gotten home, when he received a telegram ordering him back to Camp Polk.  He thought it was a joke being played on him by members of the company.  It wasn't.

    From Camp Polk, the battalion traveled west over four different train routes to San Francisco, California.  Arriving there, the soldiers were ferried to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island.  On the island, the soldiers were given physicals and inoculated for tropical diseases. Those with major health issues were released from service and replaced.  Other men were held back and scheduled to rejoin the battalion at a later date.
    The battalion sailed from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th, on the U.S.S. Hugh L. Scott, as part of a three ship convoy which arrived at Honolulu, Hawaii, on Sunday, November 2nd, and had a two day layover.  The soldiers received shore leave and allowed to explore the island.  They sailed again on October 29th for Guam

but took a southerly route away from the main shipping lanes.  During this part of the voyage, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The cruiser that was escorting the two transports revved its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it took off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out that the unknown ship was from a friendly country.  
    When the ships arrived at Guam, they took on bananas, vegetables, coconuts, and water.  The soldiers remained on ship since the convoy was sailing the next day. 
At one point, the ships passed an island at night.  While they passed the island, they did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they would soon be at war.  About 8:00 in the morning on Thursday, November 20th, the ships arrived at Manila Bay.  After arriving at Manila later in the day, it was three or four hours before they disembarked.  Most of the battalion boarded trucks and rode to Ft. Stotsenburg north of Manila.  Those men assigned to trucks drove them to the fort, while the maintenance section of the company remained at the pier to unload the tanks.    
    At the fort, the tankers were met by Colonel Edward King, who welcomed them and made sure that they had what they needed.  He also was apologetic that there were no barracks for the tankers and that they had to live in tents, but he fact was he had not learned of their arrival until days before they arrived.  After making sure the battalion members had Thanksgiving dinner, King left to have his own dinner.

    On Monday, December 1st, the tanks were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field to guard against paratroopers.  The 194th Tank Battalion guarded the northern half of the airfield, while the 192nd guarded the southern half.  At all times, two members of every tank and half-track crew remained with their vehicles.  Meals were brought to them by food trucks. 

    On December 8, 1941, just ten hours after the attack on Pearl Harbor, Osborne lived through the Japanese attack on Clark Field.  Since they had no weapons to use against planes, the members of the company took cover during the attack.  After the attack they saw the damage done to the base.
    During the Battle of the Philippines, Osborne and the other members of HQ Company attempted to make sure that the letter companies received the necessary repairs to keep the tanks running that to fight the Japanese.  On a couple occasions, this meant going into a combat area to recover a disabled tank.

    On April 9, 1942, Osborne became a Prisoner Of War when the Filipino and American defenders of Bataan were surrendered to the Japanese.  He and the other soldiers of HQ Company stayed in their bivouac for two days before they received orders from the Japanese to move.

    The evening of April 8, 1942, Capt. Fred Bruni, HQ's commanding officer, gave his men the news of the surrender.  While informing the members of the company of the surrender, he waved his arm toward the tanks and told the men that they would no longer need them.  As he spoke, his voice choked.  He turned away from the men for a moment, and when he turned back he continued.  He next told the sergeants what they should do to disable the tanks.  During the announcement, Bruni emphasized that they all were to surrender together.   He told the soldiers to destroy their weapons and any supplies that could be used by the Japanese.  The only thing they were told not to destroy were the company's trucks.  The men waited in their bivouac until ordered to move.  Somehow, Bruni had found enough bread and pineapple juice for what he called, "Their last supper."   
    On April 11th, the first Japanese soldiers appeared at HQ company's encampment.  Donald was now a Prisoner of War.  A Japanese officer ordered the company, with their possessions, out onto the road that ran in front of their encampment.  Once on the road, the soldiers were ordered to kneel along the sides of the road with their possessions in front of them.  As they knelt, the Japanese soldiers, who were passing them, went through their possessions and took whatever they wanted from the Americans.  They remained along the sides of the road for hours.           

    HQ Company finally boarded trucks and drove to just outside of Mariveles.  From there, they walked to Mariveles Airfield and ordered to sit.  As they sat, the POWs noticed a line of Japanese soldiers forming across from them.  They soon realized that this was a firing squad and the Japanese were going to kill them.         

    As they prepared to die, a car pulled up and a Japanese officer got out of the car and spoke to the sergeant in charge of the detail.  After talking to the sergeant, he got back in the car and drove off.  The sergeant ordered the soldiers to lower their guns.

    Outside of Mariveles, the POWs were directed to a field and told to sit.  After several hours they were ordered to move.  They moved to a field near a school and ordered to sit again.  It was at this time that the Japanese recruited POWs to repair trucks.

    Since he had experience working on cars and trucks, Osborne was assigned to the work detail at Mariveles to repair trucks.  It was while he was working on this detail that M/Sgt. Osborne McDonald suffered a heart attack on Saturday, April 11, 1942, and was taken to the U.S. Naval Station at Mariveles where he died.

    According to information provided by the military during the war, after his death, M/Sgt. Osborne McDonald was buried in the Naval Section of the cemetery at Mariveles. 

    After the war, M/Sgt. Osborne McDonald's remains were returned to Racine in October 1949.  He was buried at Graceland Cemetery in Racine, Wisconsin, on October 19, 1949, in the veteran's plot.  



Return to A Company