PFC William Joseph Scannell
Born: 13 February 1948 – Illinois
Parents: Lawrence Scannell & Mary Stivers-Scannell
Siblings: 1 sister
Hometown: Forest Park, Illinois
– Proviso East High School
– Class of 1967
– U.S. Army
Serial Number: 351403642
– Not Known
– 2nd Platoon, D Company, 3rd Battalion, 22nd Infantry Regiment, 25th Infantry
– 1968 – One night, while on guard duty, William was hit by shrapnel from a
rocket-propelled grenade. The grenade blew away half his skull and caused
brain injuries and blinded him. Two other soldiers were killed in the attack.
– 12 September 1970 – 3:40 AM – Downey Veterans Administration Hospital, North Chicago, Illinois
– died from his injuries he sustained while in Vietnam
– Queen of Heaven Cemetery – Hillside, Illinois
– 14 September 1970
– his father was buried next to him
– Panel: 44W Line: 20
Note: William’s friend, Carol Wilson, fought for nine years to get his name added to the Vietnam Memorial after she failed to find it on the traveling wall. His name was added to the Vietnam Memorial on May 11, 2003.
All information on this website is Copyright (c) 2020 – Jim Opolony. Permission granted for educational and research usage with proper Copyright citation. All others contact copyright owner. Some information on this site is previously copyrighted and we do not claim any copyright to that information.