Pvt. Pierce Herring Wade
Born: 4 February 1919 - Lexington, Kentucky
Parents: William H. wade & Estelle E. Carter-Wade
Siblings: 1 half-sister, 1 sister, 2 brothers
Nickname: "Panama"
Hometown: Hahira, Georgia
Residence: 1014 Apex Street - Nashville, Tennessee
Married: ViolaWade
Occupation: embalmer
    - 1936 - National Guard
    - 1939 - National Guard
    - 7 January 1940 - Fort McPherson, East Point, Georgia
        - U.S. Army
    - Fort Knox, Kentucky
    - Panama Canal Zone
        - buglar
    - 19th Ordnance Battalion
        - learned to maintain 567 different vehicles used by the Army
        - maintained and repaired weapons used by a tank battalion
        - August 1941 - battalion takes part in maneuvers in Arkansas
            - A company ordered back to Ft. Knox
    - 17th Ordnance Company
        - 17 August 1941 - A Company reorganized as 17th Ordnance Company
Note: On August 15, 1941, 17th Ordnance received orders for duty in the Philippines because of an event that happened during the summer.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf when one of the pilots noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a buoy in the water.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island, with a large radio transmitter, hundred of miles away.  The squadron continued its flight plane and flew south to Mariveles and then returned to Clark Field.  By the time the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day.
    The next morning, another squadron was sent to the area and found that the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat which was seen making its way toward shore.  Since communication between and Air Corps and Navy was poor, the boat was not intercepted.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
Overseas Duty:
    -  1 September  1941 -
        - company traveled by train to San Francisco, California
    - Arrived: 5 September 1941
        - ferried to Ft. McDowell, Angel Island on U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe
        - given physicals and inoculations
        - men with medical conditions replaced
        - spent most of their time preparing equipment for shipment to the Philippines
        - removed turrets from tanks of the 194th Tank Battalion
            - spray painted tank's serial number on turret so that it could be attached to correct tank

    - S.S. Calvin Coolidge
        - Boarded: San Francisco, California - Monday - 8 September 1941
        - Sailed: 9:00 P.M.
        - Arrived: Honolulu, Hawaii - Saturday - 13 September 1941 - 9:00 A.M.
            - soldiers given shore leave for the day
        - Sailed: same day - 5:00 P.M.
            - escorted by the heavy cruiser, U.S.S. Astoria, and an unknown destroyer
                - smoke seen on horizon several times
                -  cruiser intercepted ships
        - Tuesday - 16 August 1941 - crossed International Dateline
            - date changed to - Thursday - 18 August 1941
        - Arrived: Manila, Philippine Islands - Friday - 26 September 1941
        - Disembarked: 3:00 P.M.
            - 17th Ordnance remained behind to unload the tanks of the 194th Tank Battalion
                - reattached the turrets to the tanks.
        - rode bus to Ft. Stotsenburg
        - lived in tents at Ft. Stotsenburg
           - barracks completed - 15 November 1941

    - Battle of Luzon
        - 8 December 1942 - 6 January 1942
    - Battle of Bataan
        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942
            - serviced tanks of the 192nd & 194th Tank Battalions
Promoted: Private First Class
Prisoner of War:
    - 9 April 1942
        - Death March
            - POWs start march at Mariveles at the southern tip of Bataan
            - POWs ran past Japanese artillery that was firing at Corregidor
            - Corregidor returned fire
        - San Fernanado
            - POWs packed into small wooden boxcars used to haul sugarcane
            - each car could hold eight horses or 40 men
            - Japanese packed 100 POWs into each boxcar
            - POWs who died remained standing
        - Capas
            - POWs left boxcars
            - dead fall to floors of cars
            - POWs walked the last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell
POW Camps:
    - Philippine Islands
        - Camp O'Donnell
            - 1 April 1942 - unfinished Filipino training base Japanese put into use as a POW camp
                - Japanese believed the camp could hold 15,000 to 20,000 POWs
            - POWs searched upon arrival at camp
                - those found with Japanese money were accused of looting
                - sent to guardhouse
                - over several days, gun shots heard southeast of the camp
                    - POWs who had money on them had been executed
            - Japanese took away any extra clothing from POWs as they entered the camp and refused to return it
                - since no water was available for wash clothing, the POWs threw soiled clothing away
                - clothing was taken from dead
                - few of the POWs in the camp hospital had clothing
            - POWs were not allowed to bathe
            - only one water spigot for entire camp
                - POWs waited 2 hours to 8 hours to get a drink
                    - water frequently turned off by Japanese guards and next man in line waited as long as 4 hours for water to be turned on again
                    - mess kits could not be cleaned
                - POWs had to carry water 3 miles from a river to cook their meals
                - second water spigot installed a week after POWs arrived
            - slit trenches overflowed since many of the POWs had dysentery
                - flies were everywhere including in camp kitchens and food
            - camp hospital had no water, soap, or disinfectant
            - the senior POW doctor wrote a list of medicines he wanted to treat the sick and was told by the camp commandant, Capt. Yoshio
              Tsuneyoshi, never to write another letter
                - Tsuneyoshi said that all he wanted to know about the American POWs was their names and numbers when they died
                - refused to allow a truckload of medicine sent by the Archbishop of Manila into the camp
                - 95% of the medicine sent by Philippine Red Cross was taken by the Japanese for their own use
            - POWs in camp hospital lay on floor elbow to elbow
            - operations on POWs were performed with mess kit knives
            - only one medic out of six assigned to care for 50 sick POWs, in the hospital, was well enough to work
            - as many as 50 POWs died each day
                - each morning dead were found everywhere in the camp and stacked up under the hospital
                - ground under hospital was scrapped and cover with lime to clean it
                - the dead were moved to this area and the section where they had laid was scrapped and cover with lime
                - usually not buried for two or three days
            - work details: if a POW could walk, he was sent out on a work detail
                - POWs on burial detail often had dysentery and malaria
        - Escaped:
            - escaped from camp and fought as a guerilla
                - promoted to 1st Lieutenant
            - 10 July 1942 - Caligaman, Bataan
                - With most of his men suffering from malaria, dysentery, and beriberi, Wade and another soldier slipped into the Japanese
                  Hospital at Caligaman, Bataan, and raided the hospital for sulfa,  quinine, various medical supplies, including syringes, and other
                  medical supplies.  The men were discovered by the Japanese and medical supplies.  The men were discovered by the Japanese and
                  fought their way out of the barrio killing many Japanese.  These supplies saved the lives of many of his men.        
        - Recaptured: December 1943
            - Provincial Jail - Zambales, Philippine Islands
                - tortured
        - Cabanatuan
        - original name: Camp Pangaian
            - Philippine Army Base built for 91st Philippine Army Division
                - actually three camps
                -  POWs from Camp O'Donnell put in Camp 1
                    - Camp 2 was four miles away
                        - all POWs moved from there because of a lack of water
                        - later used for Naval POWs
                    - Camp 3 was six miles from Camp 2
                        - POWs from Corregidor and from hospitals sent there
            - work details sent out to cut wood for POW kitchens, plant rice, and farm
                - when POWs lined up for roll call, it was a common practice for Japanese guards, after the POWs lined up, to kick the POWs in
                  their shins with their hobnailed boots
                    - they also were frequently hit with a pick handle, for no reason, as they counted off
                - POWs on the rice planting detail were punished by having their faces pushed into the mud and stepped on
                - the POWs had to go into a shed to get the tools, as they came out, they were hit on their heads
                - if the guards on the detail decided the POW wasn't doing what he should be doing, he was beaten
                - many POWs on details were able to smuggle in medicine, food, and tobacco into the camp
            - to prevent escapes, the POWs set up patrols along the camp's fence
            - men who attempted to escape and caught were executed after being beaten
                - the other POWs were forced to watch the beatings
            - daily POW meal - 16 ounces of cooked rice, 4 ounces of vegetable oil, sweet potato or corn
        - hospitalized - Wednesday - 10 June 1942 - dysentery
        - Camp Hospital:
            - 30 Wards
                - each ward could hold 40 men
                    - frequently had 100 men in each
               - two tiers of bunks
                   - sickest POWs on bottom tier
               - each POW had a 2 foot by 6 foot area to lie in
            - Zero Ward
              - given name because it had been missed when counting wards
              - became ward where those who were going to die were sent
              - fenced off from other wards
                  - Japanese guards would not go near it
                 - POWs sent there had little to no chance of surviving
        - Bilibid Prison
        - Santo Thomas University
Hell Ship:
    - Nissyo Maru
        - Boarded: 17 July 1944 - 8:00 A.M.
        - Sailed: Manila, Philippine Islands - 18 July 1944
            - dropped anchor at breakwater
            - remained there until 23 July 1944
                - moved to point of Corregidor
                - dropped anchor at 2:00 P.M.
        - Sailed: 24 July 1944
            -one ship sunk by an American submarine - 3:00 A.M. - 26 July 1944
        - Arrived: Takao, Formosa - 28 July 1944 - 9:00 A.M.
        - Sailed: 28 July 1944 - 7:00 P.M.
            - ship sailed through a storm - 30 July 1944 - 2 August, 1944
            - 3 August 1944 - POWs issued clothing
        - Arrived: Moji, Japan - 4 August 1944 - midnight
        - Disembarked: 8:00 A.M.
            - herded into a theater
            - marched to train station
                - dropped off at POW camps along train line
POW Camp:
        - Japan
            - Fukuoka Base Camp
                - exact camp not known
    - September 1945
        - returned to the Philippine Islands

        - U.S.S. Storm King
            - Sailed: Manila - not known
            - Arrived: San Francisco - 15 October 1945
                - taken to Letterman General Hospital

    - Silver Star - for hospital raid
    - reduced in rank to Master Sergeant
Military Career:
    - remained in military
    - rose in rank to Captain
    - Madison, Florida
Occupation: contractor
    - 13 February 1999 - Lake City, Florida
    - Mount Horeb Church Cemetery - Pinetta, Florida



Return to 17th Ordnance