Sgt. Hezekiah Franklin Sallee

Born: 14 June 1920 - Mercer County, Kentucky

Parents: Hez Sallee & Sally Cunningham-Sallee

Siblings:4 brothers, 1 sister
    - father died when he was a child

Occupation: dairy worker

Enlisted: Kentucky National Guard

Inducted: U. S. Army - 25 November 1940

Nickname: Heze

Brother: James - HQ Company

Hometown:  Harrodsburg, Kentucky

    - Fort Knox, Kentucky
        - Arrived: 28 November 1941
        - January 1941- attended a specific tank school for training
    - 1 September 1941 - 30 September 1941
        Louisiana Maneuvers
            - sent to Camp Polk after maneuvers
    - Camp Polk, Louisiana
        - received orders for overseas duty as part of Operation PLUM

            - PLUM acronym for Philippines, Luzon, Manila
        - men 29 years old or older replaced
        - replacements came from 753rd Tank Battalion
        - received tanks M3 "Stuart" tanks of 753rd

Note: The reason for this move was an event that took place in the summer of 1941.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf when one of the pilots noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a buoy in the water.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island, with a large radio transmitter, hundred of miles away.  The squadron continued its flight plane and flew south to Mariveles and then returned to Clark Field.  When the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day, and the next day - when a Navy ship was sent to the area - the buoys had been picked up.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
    - Fort McDowell, Angel Island, California
        - ferried to island on U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe
        - received physicals from medical detachment - 25 October 1941 - 26 October 1941
            - men with minor health issues held back and scheduled to rejoin battalion at later date
            - other men simply replaced

Overseas Duty: 

    - Boarded: U.S.A.T. Gen. Hugh L. Scott

    - Sailed: Monday - 27 October 1941 - San Francisco, California
    - Arrived: Sunday - 2 November 1941 - Honolulu, Hawaii
    - Sailed: Wednesday - 5 November 1941
        - took southerly route away from main shipping lanes
        - joined by the heavy cruiser, the U.S.S. Louisville and the transport the S.S. President Calvin Coolidge

    - Sunday - 9 November 1941 - crossed International Dateline

        - woke up on Tuesday - 11 November 1941
    - Arrived: Sunday - 16 November 1941 - Guam
        - loaded bananas, coconuts, vegetables, and water
    - Sailed: Next Day
    - Arrived: Manila Bay - Thursday - 20 November 1941 - about 8:00 A.M.
    - taken to St. Stostenburg - arrived about 3:30 P.M.
    - lived in tents along road between the fort and Clark Field
        - it was during this time the process was begun to transfer the company to the
          194th Tank Battalion
        - war came before the transfer was completed
        - the company remained part of the 192nd Tank Battalion throughout the Battle of Bataan

- 8 December 1941 - 6 January 1942 

         - 8 December 1941
             - lived Japanese attack on Clark Field
             - planes did not go after tanks
             - after attack 194th sent to a bivouac three kilometers north of Clark Field
                 - from there they were sent to Barrio of San Joaquin on the Malolus Road
         - 12 December 1941
             - moved to new bivouac south to San Fernando near Calumpit Bridge
                 - arrived 6:00 A.M.
         - 15 December 1941
             - received 15 Bren gun carriers
             - turned some over to 26th Cavalry, Philippine Scouts
         - 22 December 1941
             - sent to Rosario
                 - west and north of the of barrio
                 - ordered out of the 71st Division Commander
                     - said they would hinder the cavalry's operation
         - 22/23 December 1941
             - operating north of Agno River
             - main bridge at Carmen bombed
         - 24/25 December 1941
             - tank battalions make end run to get south of Agno River
                 - ran into Japanese resistance but successfully crossed river
         - 25/26 December 1941
             - held south bank of Agno River from west of Carmen to Carmen-Akcaka-Bautista Road
                - 192nd held from Carmen to (Route 3) to Tayug (northeast of San Quintin)
         - 26/27 December 1941
             - ordered to withdraw
                 - 1 platoon forced its way through way through Carmen
                     - lost two tanks
                         - one tank belonged to company commander - Captain Edward Burke
                             - believed dead, but was actually captured
                         - one tank crew rescued
             - new line Santa Ignacia-Gerona-Santo Tomas-San Jose
             - rest of battalion made a dash out
                 - lost one tank at Bayambang
                 - another tank went across front receiving fire and firing on Japanese
             - Lt. Petree's platoon fought its way out and across Agno River
             - D Company, 192nd, lost all its tanks except one
                 - the tank commander found a crossing
                 - Japanese would use tanks later on Bataan
         - 29/30 December 1941
             - new line at Bamban River established
             - tank battalions held line until ordered to withdraw
         - 30/31 December 1941
             - tank battalions held Calumpit Bridge
             - covering withdraw of Philippine Divisions south on Rt. 3, San Fernando
         - 2 January 1942
             - both tank battalions ordered to withdrawal to Lyac Junction
             - 194th withdrew there on Highway 7
         - 5 January 1942
             - C Company and A Company, 192nd Tank Battalion, withdrew from Guagua-Poraline Line and moved into position between
               Sasmuan and Lubao
                - 1:50 A.M. - Japanese attempted to infiltrate
                    - bright moonlight made them easy to see
                    - tanks opened fire
                    - Japanese lay down smoke which blew back into them
                - 3:00 A.M. - Japanese broke off engagement
                    - suffered 50% casualties
                - Remedios - established new line along dried creek bed
         - 6/7 January 1942
             - 194th, covered by 192nd, crosses Culis Creek into Bataan
             - both battalions bivouacked south of Aubucay-Hacienda Road
             - rations cut in half
    - Battle of Bataan
        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942
           - January 1942
                - tank companies reduced to three tanks per platoon
It was at this time the tank battalions received these orders which came from Gen. Weaver:
  "Tanks will execute maximum delay, staying in position and firing at visible enemy until further delay will jeopardize withdrawal.  If a tank is immobilized, it will be fought until the close approach of the enemy, then destroyed; the crew previously taking positions outside and continuing to fight with the salvaged and personal weapons. Considerations of personal safety and expediency will not interfere with accomplishing the greatest possible delay."
        - 8 January 1942
             - composite tank company made up of tanks from the 192nd and 194th sent to protect East Coast Road north of Hermosa
                 - their job was to keep the East Road open  north of Hermosa and prevent the Japanese from driving into Bataan before the main
                   battle line had been formed
             - remainder of tanks ordered to bivouac for night south of Aubucay-Hacienda Road
                 - tankers had been fighting for a month without a rest
                 - tanks also needed overdue maintenance
                 - 17th Ordnance
                - all tank companies reduced to ten tanks
                - three per tank platoon
                - sent to reopen Moron Road so General Segunda's forces could withdraw
                - tanks knock out an anti-tank gun
                - two tanks disabled by landmines but recovered
                - mission abandoned
                - Gen. Segunda's troops escaped using beach but lost their heavy equipment
        - 12 January 1942
            - C Company, with D Company, 192nd, sent to Cadre Road
                - forward position with little alert time
        - 13 January 1942
            - mines planted by ordnance prevented them from reaching Cadre Road
            - returned to battalion
        - 16 January 1942
            -  C Company sent to Bagac to reopen Moron Highway
                - highway had been cut by Japanese
                - Moron Highway, and Junction of Trail 162
                    - tank platoon fired on by antitank gun
                        - tanks knock out gun
                        - cleared roadblock with support of infantry
        - 20 January 1942
            - Banibani Road -tanks sent in to save 31st Infantry command post
        - 24 January 1942
            - tanks order to Hacienda Road in support of troops
                 - landmines planted by ordnance prevented them from reaching road
        - 26 January 1942
            - the battalion held a position a kilometer north of the Pilar-Bagac Road
                - four self-propelled mounts with the battalion
            - 9:45 A.M. - warned by Filipino a large Japanese force was coming
                - when the enemy appeared they opened up with all the battalion had
                - 10:30 A.M. - Japanese withdrew after losing 500 of 1200 men
                - prevented new defensive line being formed from being breached
        - 28 January 1942
            - 194th tanks given beach duty protecting southern beaches
            - guarded coast from Limay to Cabcaben
             - half-tracks patrolled roads
                - maintained radio contact with on-shore and off-shore patrols
        - March 1942
            - two tanks were bogged down in mud
            - the tankers were working to get them out
            - Japanese Regiment entered the area
            - Lt. Col. Miller ordered tanks and artillery to fire at point blank range
                - Miller ran from tank to tank directing fire
                - wiped out Japanese regiment

        - 21 March 1941 -  major tank battle near the Bagac Road
            - last major battle
        - 4 April 1942
            - Japanese launched major offensive
            - tanks sent into various sectors to stop Japanese advance
        - 6 April 1942
            - four tanks sent to support 45th Philippine Infantry and 75th Infantry,
              Philippine Scouts
                - one tank knocked out by anti-tank fire at junction of Trails 8 & 6
                - other tanks covered withdraw
            - 3rd Platoon sent up west coast road
                - near Mount Samat ran into heavy Japanese force
                - the tanks withdrew to Marivales
        - 8 April 1942
            - fighting on East Coast Road at Cabcaban

    - Battle of Bataan

        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942

            - major tank battle near the Bagac Road - 21 March 1942

                - last major battle
         - 9 April 1942
            - escaped to Corregidor
            - admitted hospital - 22 April 1942 - sprained left ankle

Prisoner of War: 

    6 May 1942
        - Ft. Mills Hospital - Corregidor

            - in hospital when Japanese lunched major offense to capture island
            - still in hospital - 11 May1942
            - not known when he was discharged

POW Camps: 

    - Philippine Islands: 

        - Corregidor

            - Americans held on island two weeks after surrender
            - taken by barge near Luzon coast
            - forced to jump into water and swim to shore
            - marched to Manila

        - Cabanatuan
            - original name - Camp Panagaian
                - Philippine Army Base built for 91st Philippine Army Division
                    - put into use by Japanese as a POW camp
                - actually three camps
                    - Camp 1: POWs from Camp O'Donnell sent there in attempt to lower death rate
                    - Camp 2:  two miles away
                        - all POWs moved from there because of a lack of water
                        - later used for Naval POWs
                    - Camp 3: six miles from Camp 2
                        - POWs from Corregidor and from hospitals sent there
                        - camp created to keep Corregidor POWs separated from Bataan POWs
                        - Corregidor POWs were in better shape
                            - January 1943 - POWs from Camp 3 consolidated into Camp 1
        - Camp Administration:
            - the Japanese left POWs to run the camp on their own
                - Japanese entered camp when they had a reason
                - POWs patrolled fence to prevent escapes
                    - Note: men who attempted to escape were recaptured
                    - Japanese beat them for days
                    - executed them
            - Blood Brother Rule
                - POWs put into groups of ten
                    - if one escaped the others would be executed
                    - housed in same barracks
                    - worked on details together
            - Barracks:
                - each barracks held 50 men
                    - often held between 60 and 120 men
                    - slept on bamboo slats without mattresses, covers, and mosquito netting
                        - diseases spread easily
                    - no showers

            - assigned to Barracks 5, Group 3

            - assigned POW number 9616

                - Ernest Sampson was also assigned to this barracks

            - Morning Roll Call:
                - stood at attention
                    - frequently beaten over their heads for no reason
                - when POWs lined up for roll call, it was a common practice for Japanese guards, after the POWs lined up, to kick the POWs in
                  their shins with their hobnailed boots because they didn't like the way the POWs lined up
            - Work Details:
                - Two main details
                    - the farm and airfield
                        - farm detail
                            - POWs cleared land and grew comotes, cassava, taro, sesame, and various greens
                            - Japanese took what was grown
                    - Guards:
                        - Big Speedo - spoke little English
                            - in charge of detail
                            - fair in treatment of POWs
                            - spoke little English
                                - to get POWs to work faster said, "speedo"
                        - Little Speedo
                            - also used "speedo" when he wanted POWs to work faster
                            - fair in treatment of POWs
                        - Smiley
                            - always smiling
                            - could not be trusted
                            - meanest of guards
            - Airfield Detail:
                - Japanese built an airfield for fighters
                    - POWs cut grass, removed dirt, and leveled ground
                        - at first moved dirt in wheel barrows
                        - later pushed mining cars
                   - Guards:
                        - Air Raid
                            - in charge
                            - usually fair but unpredictable
                                - had to watch him
                        - Donald Duck
                            - always talking
                            - sounded like the cartoon character
                            - unpredictable - beat POWs
                            - POWs told him that Donald Duck was a big American movie star
                                - at some point, he saw a Donald Duck cartoon
                                - POWs stayed away from him when he came back to camp
                - Work Day: 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
                    - worked 6 days a week
                        - had Sunday off
            - Other Details:
                - work details sent out to cut wood for POW kitchens and plant rice
                    - they also were frequently hit with a pick handle, for no reason, as they counted off
                - POWs on the rice planting detail were punished by having their faces pushed into the mud and stepped on
                - the POWs had to go into a shed to get the tools, as they came out, they were hit on their heads
                - if the guards on the detail decided the POW wasn't doing what he should be doing, he was beaten
                - many POWs on details were able to smuggle in medicine, food, and tobacco into the camp
            - Burial Detail
                - POWs worked in teams of four
                    - carried 4 to 6 dead to cemetery at a time in liter
                    - a grave contained from 15 to 20 bodies 
            - daily POW meal
                - 16 ounces of cooked rice, 4 ounces of vegetable oil, sweet potato or corn
                - rice was main staple, few vegetables or fruits
        - Camp Hospital:
            - 30 Wards
                - each ward could hold 40 men
                    - frequently had 100 men in each
               - two tiers of bunks
                   - sickest POWs on bottom tier
               - each POW had a 2 foot by 6 foot area to lie in
            - Zero Ward
                - given name because it had been missed when counting wards
                - became ward where those who were going to die were sent
                - fenced off from other wards
                    - Japanese guards would not go near it
                    - POWs sent there had little to no chance of surviving
                    - medical staff had little to no medicine to treat sick
                    - many deaths from disease caused by malnutrition
            - hospitalized - Tuesday - 2 November 1942 - diarrhea
                - discharged - Monday - 15 November 1942
Note: His mother learned he was a POW in April 1943

Hell Ship: 

      - Clyde Maru

        - Sailed: Manila - 23 July 1943

        -Arrived: Santa Cruz, Zambales, Philippines - same day

                - loaded manganese ore

             - remained in port for three days

       -  Sailed: 26 July 1943

           - 100 POWs permitted on deck at a time from 6:00 AM to

             4:00 PM

        -  Arrived: Takao, Formosa - 28 July 1943

        - Sailed: 5 August 1942 - at 8:00 AM

            - part of nine ship convoy

        - Arrived: Moji, Japan - 7 August 1943

            - POWs lined up on dock

            - marched to rail station and boarded train

                - 9:30 AM - train departed

                - 7:30 PM arrived at Omuta

                    - POWs marched 18 miles

                        - eighteen rode truck because they could not walk
POW Camp:

    - Japan:

         Fukuoka #17

            - POWs arrived: 10 August 1943

            - Work: coal mining

            - camp had a ten foot high wooden fence around it

                - three electrified wires topped the fence 

                - 50 POWs assigned to each barracks

                    - barracks 20 feet wide by 120 feet long

                    - ten rooms in a barracks

                        - four to six men assigned to each room
Note:  The POWs worked in a condemned coal mine.  They worked bent over since they were taller than the average Japanese miner.  At the mine, each prisoner was expected to load three cars of coal a day.  The POWs worked 12 hour work days in areas of the mine which had cracks in the ceiling indicating a cave-in might take place.  One was known as the "hotbox" because of its temperatures.  To get out of working, the POWs would intentionally have their arms broken by another POW.
    Daily meals consisted of seven spoonfuls of water and one fourth a cup of very poor quality watery rice a day.  To supplement their diets, the prisoners also ate dog meat, radishes, potato greens and seaweed.  To get a meal, when entering the food line, the POWs had to shout out there number, in Japanese, and another man would put a nail in a hole opposite the man's number on a board.  The nails remained in the board until all the POWs had been fed.
    Corporal punishment was an everyday occurrence at the camp.  The guards beat the POWs for slightest reason and continued until the POW was unconscious.  The man was then taken to the guardhouse and put in solitary confinement without food or water for a long period of time.
    On one occasion in November 1944, shirts had been stolen from a bundle, sent by the British Red Cross, from a building.  The Japanese ordered all the POWs to assemble and told them that they would not be fed until the shirts were returned.  The men who stole the shirts returned the shirts anonymously, and the POWs received their meal at 10:00 P.M.
    During the winter, the POWs, being punished, were made to stand at attention and had water thrown on them as they stood in the cold, or they were forced to knee on bamboo poles.  It is known that the POWs were made to stand in water and shocked with electrical current.  At some point, two POWs were tied to a post and left to die.  This was done they had violated a camp rule.
    Life at Fukuoka #17 was hard and there were prisoners who would steal from other prisoners, especially clothing.  To prevent this from happening, the POWs would "buddy up" with each other.  While one man was working in the mine, the POW who was not working would watch the possessions of the other man.
    In addition, the sick were forced to work.  The Japanese camp doctor allowed the sick, who could walk, to be sent into the mine.  Men who had one good arm were made to lift heavy loads.   He also took the Red Cross medical supplies meant for the POWs for his own use and failed to provide adequate medical treatment.  Food that came in the packages was eaten by the guards. 


    - Tuesday - 6 June 1944 - fractured skull and broken thigh bone - coal mine accident

    - portion of mine he was working in collapsed
    - According to Charles Kamendat, who was working with Haz, a slab fell from the mine roof and struck Haz and him
        - In Kamendat's words, "It cut him in half."

Note: Although D Company was attached to the 194th Tank Battalion, the company remained under the command of the 192nd Tank Battalion.  Sgt. Heze F. Sallee's cross inaccurately shows him as a member of the 194th Tank Battalion.



Return to D Company