Sgt. Frank Jendrysik

Born: 20 August 1917 - Cook County, Illinois
Parents: Andrew Jendrysik & Lekla Brzorza-Jendrysik
     - Polish immigrants
         - father died when he was thirteen
         - mother died when he was fourteen
Siblings: 2 brothers
   - brothers raised him
Home: 5343 South New England Avenue - Chicago, Illinois
   - 1930 - family lived in Cicero, Illinois
Occupation: worked in Chicago Stock Yards
Enlisted: Illinois National Guard
    - enlisted with his best friend, Nick Fryzuik

    - U.S. Army
         - 25 November 1940
    - Fort Knox, Kentucky
    - Louisiana Maneuvers

        - after training battalion sent to base
        - soldiers 29 years or older were allowed to resign from federal service
       - Graf joined the battalion from the 753rd Tank Battalion
Note: On August 15, 1941, the decision was made to build up American forces in the Philippines at Ft. Knox, Kentucky.  This decision was made because of an event that happened during the summer.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf when one of the pilots noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a buoy in the water.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island, hundred of miles away, with a large radio transmitter on it.  The squadron continued its flight plan and flew south to Mariveles before returning to Clark Field.  By the time the planes landed that evening, it was too late to do anything that day.
    The next morning, another squadron was sent to the area and found that the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat which was seen making its way toward shore.  Since communication between and Air Corps and Navy was poor, the boat was not intercepted.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
Overseas Duty:
    - Over different train routes the battalion's companies arrived at San Francisco, California
        - U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe ferried battalion to Ft. MacDowell on Angel Island
        - battalion's medical detachment inoculates and gives physicals to tank companies
            - those men with minor medical conditions were held back ans scheduled to rejoin the battalion
              at a later date
            - some men were simply replaced
    - U.S.A.T. Hugh L. Scott
        - Boarded: San Francisco - Monday -  27 October 1941
        - Sailed: same day
        - Arrived: Honolulu, Hawaii - Sunday - 2 November 1941
            - soldiers were given shore leave to see the sights
        - Sailed: Tuesday - Wednesday - 5 November 194
            - joined by U.S.S. Louisville and S.S. President Calvin Coolidge
        - Sunday - 9 November 1941 - crossed International Date Line
            - woke up on Tuesday - 11 November 1941
        - Arrived: Guam - Sunday - 16 November 1941
            - ships took on bananas, vegetables, coconuts, and water
        - Sailed: Monday - 17 November 1941
        - Arrived: Manila, Philippine Islands - Thursday - 20 November 1941
            - soldiers bused to Ft. Stotsenburg
            - maintenance section remained at pier to unload tanks
    - Ft. Stotsenburg
        - Colonel Edward King apologizes to soldiers that they had to live in tents
        - tents located along main road between fort and Clark Airfield

    - Battle of Luzon
        - 8 December 1942 - 6 January 1942
    - Battle of Bataan
        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942

            - recovered disabled tanks to use for parts

        - 8 April 1942

            - Capt. Fred Bruni told company of surrender

                - ordered them to destroy anything that could be used by Japanese
                - remained in bivouac for two days

Prisoner of War          
    - 11 April 1942

        - Japanese arrive at bivouac

            - POWs ordered onto road with possessions in front of them

            - passing Japanese POWs take what they want from POWs

            - POWs remained along side of road for hours

            - finally board trucks and drive to area outside of Mariveles
        - Death March
             - Mariveles - POWs start march at southern tip of Bataan
            - POWs ran past Japanesee artillery firing at Corregidor
                - Americans on Corregidor returned fire
            - San Fernando - POWs put into small wooden boxcars
                - each boxcar could hold eight horses or forty men
                - 100 POWs packed into each car
                - POWs who died remained standing
            - Capas - dead fell to floor as living left boxcars
            - POWs walked last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell
POW Camps:
    - Camp O'Donnell
         - Camp O'Donnell
        - 1 April 1942 - unfinished Filipino training base Japanese put into use as a POW camp
            - Japanese believed the camp could hold 15,000 to 20,000 POWs
        - POWs searched upon arrival at camp
            - those found with Japanese money were accused of looting
            - sent to guardhouse
            - over several days, gun shots heard southeast of the camp
                - POWs who had money on them had been executed
        - Japanese took away any extra clothing from POWs as they entered the camp and refused to return it
            - since no water was available for wash clothing, the POWs threw soiled clothing away
            - clothing was taken from dead
            - few of the POWs in the camp hospital had clothing
        - POWs were not allowed to bathe
        - only one water spigot for entire camp
            - POWs waited 2›†hours to 8 hours to get a drink
                - water frequently turned off by Japanese guards and next man in line waited as long as 4 hours for water to be turned on again
                - mess kits could not be cleaned
            - POWs had to carry water 3 miles from a river to cook their meals
            - second water spigot installed a week after POWs arrived
        - slit trenches overflowed since many of the POWs had dysentery
            - flies were everywhere including in camp kitchens and food
        - camp hospital had no water, soap, or disinfectant
       - the senior POW doctor wrote a list of medicines he wanted to treat the sick and was told by the camp commandant, Capt. Yoshio
         Tsuneyoshi, never to write another letter
            - Tsuneyoshi said that all he wanted to know about the American POWs was their names and numbers when they died
            - refused to allow a truckload of medicine sent by the Archbishop of Manila into the camp
            - 95% of the medicine sent by Philippine Red Cross was taken by the Japanese for their own use
        - POWs in camp hospital lay on floor elbow to elbow
        - operations on POWs were performed with mess kit knives
        - only one medic out of six assigned to care for 50 sick POWs, in the hospital, was well enough to work
        - as many as 50 POWs died each day
            - each morning dead were found everywhere in the camp and stacked up under the hospital
            - ground under hospital was scrapped and cover with lime to clean it
            - the dead were moved to this area and the section where they had laid was scrapped and cover with lime
            - usually not buried for two or three days
         - Frank remained behind because he was considered to be moved
Died: 31 August 1942 - dysentery
    - Camp O'Donnell Cemetery
         - Section P  Row 6  Grave 9
Reburied: American Military Cemetery - Manila, Philippine Islands
    - Plot:  A   Row: 10   Grave 97


Return to B Company