Pfc. Arley Hosey
Born: 20 February 1923 - Braxton County, West Virginia
Parents: Archibald Hosey & Lilly Evans-Hosey
Siblings: 2 sisters, 3 brothers
Hometown: Holly, West Virginia
    - moved to Akron, Ohio
    - U.S. Army
        - 8 January 1941 - Fort Hayes, Columbus, Ohio
    - Ft. Knox, Kentucky
        - mechanic
    - 19th Ordnance Battalion
       - trained alongside the 192nd Tank Battalion at Ft. Knox
    - 17th Ordnance Company
        - 17 August 1941 - company created from A Company of 19th Ordnance
            - received orders for overseas duty the same day
The decision for this move - which had been made on August 15, 1941 - was the result of an event that took place in the summer of 1941.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf, in the Philippines, when one of the pilots, who was flying at a lower altitude, noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a flagged buoy in the water and saw another in the distance.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island which was hundred of miles away.  The island had a large radio transmitter.  The squadron continued its flight plan south to Mariveles and returned to Clark Field.
     When the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day.  The next day, when another squadron was sent to the area, the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat - with a tarp on its deck - which was seen making its way to shore.  Since communication between the Air Corps and Navy was difficult, the boat escaped.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
Overseas Duty:

        - traveled by train to Ft. Mason, San Francisco, California
            - Arrived: Thursday, 5 September 1941
        - ferried to Ft. McDowell, Angel Island on U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe
            - given physicals and inoculations
            - men with medical conditions replaced
        - removed turrets from tanks of the 194th Tank Battalion
     - S.S. President Calvin Coolidge
        - Boarded: Monday - 8 September 1941 - 3:00 P.M.
        - Sailed: 9:00 P.M. - same day
        - Arrived: Honolulu, Hawaii - Saturday - 13 September 1941 - 7:00 A.M.
        - Sailed: 5:00 P.M. - same day
            - escorted by the heavy cruiser, U.S.S. Astoria, and an unknown destroyer
                - smoke seen on horizon several times
                -  cruiser intercepted ships
        - 16 September 1941 - crossed International Date Line
            - date became Thursday - 18 September 1941
        - Arrived: Manila - Friday - 26 September 1941
            - disembark ship - 3:00 P.M.
            - taken by bus to Fort Stostenburg
            - maintenance section with 17th ordnance remained behind to unload the tanks and attached turrets
                -27 September 1941 - job completed at 9:00 A.M.
    - Ft. Stotsenburg, Philippine Islands
        - lived in tents until barracks completed - 15 November 1941
            - 8 December 1942 - lived through Japanese attack on Clark Field
                - company went to a bamboo thicket where they could disperse vehicles
                    - company set up bivouac
                        - set up machine shop trucks, half-tracks, and trucks
                - received orders to return to Ft. Stotsenburg
       - 12:45 P.M. - Japanese attacked
           - Japanese wipe out Army Air Corps
           - dead and wounded were everywhere
    - Battle of Luzon
        - 8 December 1942 - 6 January 1942
    - Battle of Bataan
        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942
            - 17th Ordnance worked to keep the tanks of the 192nd & 194th Tank Battalions running
            - company headquartered in ordnance depot building which was empty
            - repaired tanks damaged by Japanese or tank crews

Prisoner of War
    - 9 April 1942
        - Death March
            - POWs started march at Mariveles on the southern tip of
            - ran past Japanese artillery firing on Corregidor
                - American artillery returned fire
            - San Fernando - POWs packed into small wooden boxcars

                - each boxcar could hold eight horses or forty men
                - Japanese packed 100 POWs into each boxcar
                - POWs who died remained standing
            - Capas - POWs leave boxcars - dead fall out of cars
            - POWs walked last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell
POW Camps:
    - Philippines:
        - Camp O'Donnell
            - 1 April 1942 - unfinished Filipino training base Japanese put into use as a POW camp
                - Japanese believed the camp could hold 15,000 to 20,000 POWs
            - POWs searched upon arrival at camp
                - those found with Japanese money were accused of looting
                - sent to guardhouse
                - over several days, gun shots heard southeast of the camp
                    - POWs who had money on them had been executed
            - Japanese took away any extra clothing from POWs as they entered the camp and refused to return it
                - since no water was available for wash clothing, the POWs threw soiled clothing away
                - clothing was taken from dead
                - few of the POWs in the camp hospital had clothing
            - POWs were not allowed to bathe
            - only one water spigot for entire camp
                - POWs waited 2½ hours to 8 hours to get a drink
                    - water frequently turned off by Japanese guards and next man in line waited as long as 4 hours for water
                      to be turned on again
                    - mess kits could not be cleaned
                - POWs had to carry water 3 miles from a river to cook their meals
                - second water spigot installed a week after POWs arrived
            - slit trenches overflowed since many of the POWs had dysentery
                - flies were everywhere including in camp kitchens and food
            - camp hospital had no water, soap, or disinfectant
            - the senior POW doctor wrote a list of medicines he wanted to treat the sick and was told by the camp
              commandant, Capt. Yoshio Tsuneyoshi, never to write another letter
                - Tsuneyoshi said that all he wanted to know about the American POWs was their names and numbers
                  when they died
                - refused to allow a truckload of medicine sent by the Archbishop of Manila into the camp
                - 95% of the medicine sent by Philippine Red Cross was taken by the Japanese for their own use
            - POWs in camp hospital lay on floor elbow to elbow
            - operations on POWs were performed with mess kit knives
            - only one medic out of six assigned to care for 50 sick POWs, in the hospital, was well enough to work
            - as many as 50 POWs died each day
                - each morning dead were found everywhere in the camp and stacked up under the hospital
                - ground under hospital was scrapped and cover with lime to clean it
                - the dead were moved to this area and the section where they had laid was scrapped and cover with lime
                - usually not buried for two or three days
            - work details: if a POW could walk, he was sent out on a work detail
                - POWs on burial detail often had dysentery and malaria
        - Japanese opened new POW camp to lower death rate
            - 1 June 1942 - POWs formed detachments of 100 men
                - POWs marched out gate and marched toward Capas
                    - Filipino people gave POWs small bundles of food
                        - the guards did not stop them
                - At Capas, the POWs were put into steel boxcars and rode them to Manila
                - train stopped at Calumpit and switched onto the line to Cabanatuan
                    - POWs disembark train at 6:00 P.M. and put into a school yard
                    - fed rice and onion soup       
        - Cabanatuan #1
            - original name - Camp Panagaian
                - Philippine Army Base built for 91st Philippine Army Division
                - put into use by Japanese as a POW camp
            - actually three camps
                - Camp 1: POWs from Camp O'Donnell sent there in attempt to lower death rate
                - Camp 2:  two miles away
                    - all POWs moved from there because of a lack of water
                    - later used for Naval POWs
                - Camp 3: six miles from Camp 2
                    - POWs from Corregidor and from hospitals sent there
                        - September 1942 - Camps 1 & 3 consolidated
                - "Blood Brother" rule implemented
                    - if one POW in the group of 10 escaped, the other nine would be killed
                - POWs patrolled fence to prevent escapes
                - Barracks:
                    - each barracks held 50 men
                        - often held between 60 and 120 men
                        - slept on bamboo slats without mattresses, covers, and mosquito netting
                            - diseases spread easily
                        - no showers
            - Morning Roll Call:
                - stood at attention
                    - frequently beaten over their heads for no reason
                - when POWs lined up for roll call, it was a common practice for Japanese guards, after the POWs lined up, to kick the POWs in
                  their shins with their hobnailed boots if they did not like the way the POWs lined up
            - Work Details:
                - Work Day: 7:00 A.M. to 5:00 P.M.
                - work details sent out to cut wood for POW kitchens, plant rice, and farm
                    - they also were frequently hit with a pick handle, for no reason, as they counted off
                - POWs on the rice planting detail were punished by having their faces pushed into the mud and stepped on
                - the POWs had to go into a shed to get the tools, as they came out, they were hit on their heads
                - if the guards on the detail decided the POW wasn't doing what he should be doing, he was beaten
                - many POWs on details were able to smuggle in medicine, food, and tobacco into the camp
            - to prevent escapes, the POWs set up patrols along the camp's fence
            - men who attempted to escape and caught were executed after being beaten
                - the other POWs were forced to watch the beatings
            - daily POW meal - 16 ounces of cooked rice, 4 ounces of vegetable oil, sweet potato or corn
                - most of the food the POWs grew went to the Japanese
        - Camp Hospital:
            - 30 Wards
                - each ward could hold 40 men
                    - frequently had 100 men in each
               - two tiers of bunks
                   - sickest POWs on bottom tier
               - each POW had a 2 foot by 6 foot area to lie in
            - Zero Ward
              - given name because it had been missed when counting wards
              - became ward where those who were going to die were sent
              - fenced off from other wards
                  - Japanese guards would not go near it
                  - POWs sent there had little to no chance of surviving
                  - medical staff had little to no medicine to treat sick
                  - many deaths from disease caused by malnutrition
        - Clark Field
            - Work:
                - POWs built a runway
                    - 6:00 A.M. - work day started
                        - screened gravel and cut long grass
                        - POWs had to dig the rock out of the ground
                        - worked long hours on inadequate rations
                        - work done with picks and shovels
                        - forced to work during typhoon season
                        - no days off
            - Meals:
                - fed twice a day
                    - one cup of steamed rice
            - Medical Treatment:
                - no medical supplies
                    - any they had were found by POWs
                - sick forced to work because they weren't "sick enough"
                    - those who wouldn't or could not work were severely beaten
                - POWs with malaria did not work because the Japanese could see they had it
                - when one POW escaped, none of the POWs were fed
            - Barracks:
                - housed in the same barracks used before the war
                - each POW had a bunk and mattress to sleep on
            - Punishment:
                - beaten for no reason
                - one Japanese lieutenant frequently hit POWs over head with saber
                - POWs beaten with a golf club for no reason
                - Blood Brother Rule
                - put in a metal shack without openings
                    - POW had to squat or curl up in it
                - when POWs escaped, the remaining POWs remained at attention for hours
                    - on one occasion this lasted until 4:00 A.M.
                    - they then had to go to work
            - Execution:
                - when two Filipinos were caught stealing sheet metal, all the POWs had to watch them be tied to poles and used for bayonet
        - Bilibid Prison
            - sent to hospital suffering from asthma
            - admitted: 8 April 1944
Hell Ship:
    - Canadian Inventor
        - Sailed: Manila - 4 July 1944
            - returned - boiler problems
            - POWs remained in holds for fifteen days
        - Sailed: 16 July 1944
            - additional boiler problems
            - left behind by convoy
        - Arrived: Takao, Formosa - 23 July 1944
            - salt loaded into hold
        - Sailed: 4 August 1944
        - Arrived: Keelung, Formosa - 5 August 1944
            - remained in harbor for twelve days for additional boiler repairs
        - Sailed: 17 August 1944
        - Arrived: Naha, Okinawa
            - additional boiler repairs
            - stayed six days
        - Sailed: Unknown
        - Arrived: Moji, Japan - 1 September 1944
POW Camp:
    - Japan
        - Nagoya #3B
            - camp also known as Funatsu
            - POWs worked in lead and zinc mine
Note:  The camp was built next to a hill which served as a wall on one side.  The other three sides of the compound had a 10 foot high wooden wall around them.  The POWs lived in wooden barracks.  One building was 100 feet long and housed POWs, the commandant's office, the hospital, a warehouse, and the guards quarters.  The barracks were infested with fleas, lice, and rats.  Each POW had one blanket to sleep with in unheated barracks.  The camp kitchen did not have an adequate water supply, so they utensils used to cook the POWs' food were filthy.  The POWs latrines had cans beneath the floor which they had to empty.
    In the camp the POWs were beaten for the slightest violation of the camp rules.  The Japanese used sticks, clubs, belts, swords, picks, and leather and rubber belts during the beatings.  The POWs were hit over their heads, necks, arms, legs, buttocks, and backs until, in many cases, until the were unconscious.  Many of the POWs had bruises, black eyes, and scars from being burned.
    They often were forced to kneel on bamboo poles placed under their kneecaps, for long periods of time, while the guards jumped on the calves of their legs to force the poles into the knees more deeply.  They were next kicked and placed in the guardhouse of the time nude in cold weather and had water poured on them.  They were not allowed medical attention while in the guardhouse.  In addition, their food rations were cut, and if a POW somehow escaped, he was returned to the guardhouse and starved.
    The POWs in the camp were used as labor in the mining and refining of lead and zinc.
    Nearly all the prisoners were in poor health and suffering from malnutrition, dysentery, and beriberi.  A Japanese sergeant, Takanori Yamanaka, had medical supplies in his possession from the Red Cross but would not issue them to the POWs.  If a POW was put in the guardhouse, he was not permitted to receive medical treatment.  When medical supplies were issued, only half the requested supplies were given out.  The Japanese also would only allow 10 percent of the prisoners to be hospitalized at any time.
    During his time in the camp, one POW by the name of Mann, who had somehow got out of the camp, was recaptured four days later.  He was systematically beaten with fists and clubs, every day for twelve days in the guardhouse and at the end of twelve days he died on August 6, 1945.
Liberated: 6 September 1945
    - returned to United States on U.S.S. Joseph Dyckman
Discharged: 6 February 1946
Married: Louella Boggs - 1946 - Braxton County, West Virginia
Married: Betty Lou Hall - 31 December 1958 - Summitt County, Ohio
Married: Wanda June Cobb - 18 October 1960 - Summitt County, Ohio
    - 22 April 1981
        - Les Vegas, Nevada





Bataan Project
Return to 17th Ordnance