1st Sgt. Roger James Heilig

    1st Sergeant Roger J. Heilig was one of the three children of Oscar A. Helig and Viola Strenging-Heilig.  He was born on March 8, 1921, in Oak Park, Illinois, and lived at 2116 South 16th Avenue in Maywood, Illinois.  He attended Roosevelt Grade School in Broadview and Proviso Township High School.  He was a member of the graduating class of 1938 from Proviso.  After high school, he worked as a shipping clerk for the Jefferson Electric Company.
     In 1937, Roger joined the Illinois National Guard's 33rd Tank Company from Maywood with his best friend, Warren Hildebrand.  To do this, he had to get his parents to sign a consent form since he was only sixteen years old.  On April 8, 1940, he was honorably discharged, but he reenlisted a month later in May of 1940.
    On November 24, 1940, Roger went to Fort Knox, Kentucky, when the company was federalized and made part of the 192nd Tank Battalion.  During his training, Roger attended technical school and learned chemical weapons and how to work with ordnance.

    In the late summer of 1941, Roger took part in maneuvers in Louisiana.  After the maneuvers, the battalion was ordered to remain behind at Camp Polk.  None of the members of the battalion had any idea why they were there.  On the side of a hill, the members learned they were being sent overseas as part of Operation PLUM.  Within hours, many men had figured out they were being sent to the Philippine Islands. 
    From Camp Polk, the battalion traveled west over four different train routes.  Arriving in San Francisco, the soldiers were ferried to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island.  On the island, the soldiers were given physicals and inoculated for tropical diseases. Those with health issues were released from service and replaced.
    The battalion sailed, on the U.S.A.T. Hugh L. Scott from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  They arrived in Hawaii on Sunday, November 2nd, and had a layover.  The soldiers received passes and allowed to explore the islands.  They sailed again on Tuesday, November 4th, for Guam.  When the ships arrived at Guam, they took on bananas, vegetables, coconuts, and water.  The soldiers remained on ship since the convoy was sailing the next day. About 8:00 in the morning on November 20th, the ships arrived at Manila Bay.  After arriving at Manila, it was three or four hours before they disembarked.  Most of the battalion boarded trucks and rode to Ft. Stotsenburg north of Manila.
    At the fort, the tankers were met by General Edward King.  King welcomed them and made sure that they had what they needed.  He also was apologetic that there were no barracks for the tankers and that they had to love in tents.  The fact was he had not learned of their arrival until days before they arrived.
    For the next seventeen days the tankers spent much of their time removing cosmoline from their weapons.  In Roger's case, he worked with Pfc. Carl Maggio and Pvt. Joseph Lajzer.  They also spent a large amount of time loading ammunition belts.  

    The first week of December, 1941, the tankers were ordered to Clark Field to assigned locations.  At all times, two members of each tank crew or half-track crew had to remain with their tank or half-track.  On the morning of December 8, 1941, the members of B Company were informed of the Japanese attack on Clark Field, all tank crew members were sent to the perimeter of the airfield to guard against Japanese paratroopers. 
    About 12:45 in the afternoon as the tankers were eating lunch, planes approached the airfield from the north.  At first, the soldiers thought the planes were American.  It was only when bombs began exploding on the runways that they knew the planes were Japanese.

    The tank battalion received orders on December 21st that it was to proceed north to Lingayen Gulf.   Because of logistics problems, the B and C Companies soon ran low on gas.  When they reached Rosario, there was only enough for one tank platoon, from B Company, to proceed north to support the 26th Cavalry.
    On December 23rd and 24th, the battalion was in the area of Urdaneta.   The bridge they were going to use to cross the Agno River was destroyed and the tankers made an end run to get south of river.  As they did this, they ran into Japanese resistance early in the evening.  They successfully crossed at the river in the Bayambang Province.
    On December 25th, the tanks of the battalion held the southern bank of the Agno River from Carmen to Tayung, with the tanks of the 194th holding the line on the Carmen-Alcala-Bautista Road. The tanks held the position until 5:30 in the morning on December 27th.

    It was at this time that Roger demonstrated his personal courage.   He was standing on a dyke along the south bank of the Agno River with his tank behind him.  As he stood there, he noticed men coming across the river in the distance.  At first, he dismissed these men as Filipino soldiers and began walking back to the tank.  Suddenly, he stopped and turned.  He realized that the last Filipino troops had already crossed the river.
    Roger ran to his tank, grabbed his Tommy-gun, ran back to the dyke and threw himself on the ground.  He opened fire on the men in the river and on the north bank.  The Japanese on the north bank returned fire and shelled his position with mortars; but Roger held his position.  In the ensuing battle, Roger killed over thirty enemy soldiers as they attempted to cross the river.  He held his position on the dyke until he was reinforced.
    The tankers were fell back toward Santo Tomas near Cabanatuan on December 27th, and December were at San Isidro south of Cabanatuan on December 28th and 29th. 
The tankers were at Santo Tomas near Cabanatuan on December 27th, and at San Isidro south of Cabanatuan on December 28th and 29th.  On January 1st, conflicting orders were received by the defenders who were attempting to stop the Japanese advance down Route 5.  Doing this would allow the Southern Luzon Forces to withdraw toward Bataan.  General Wainwright was unaware of the orders since they came from Gen. MacArthur's chief of staff. 
    Because of the orders, there was confusion among the Filipinos and American forces defending the bridges over the Pampanga River.  Due to the efforts of the Self Propelled Mounts, the 71st Field Artillery, and a frenzied attack by the 192nd Tank Battalion the Japanese were halted.  From January 2nd to 4th, the 192nd held the road open from San Fernando to Dinalupihan so the southern forces could escape.

    During the withdraw into the peninsula, the night of January 6th/7th, the 192nd held its position so that the 194th Tank Battalion could leap frog past it, cross a bridge, and then cover the 192nd's withdraw over the bridge. The 192nd was the last American unit to enter Bataan.    
    Over the next several months, the battalion fought battle after battle with tanks that were not designed for jungle warfare. 
The tank battalions , on January 28th, were given the job of protecting the beaches.  The 192nd was assigned the coast line from Paden Point to Limay along Bataan's east coast.  The Japanese later admitted that the tanks guarding the beaches prevented them from attempting landings.

    B Company also took part in the Battle of the Pockets to wipe out Japanese soldiers who had been trapped behind the main defensive line.  The tanks would enter the pocket one at a time to replace a tank in the pocket.  Another tank did not enter the pocket until a tank exited the pocket.
    To exterminate the Japanese, two methods were used.  The first was to have three Filipino soldiers ride on the back of the tank.  As the tank went over a Japanese foxhole, the Filipinos dropped three hand grenades into the foxhole.  Since the grenades were from WWI, one out of three usually exploded.
    The other method to use to kill the Japanese was to park a tank with one track over the foxhole.  The driver gave the other track power resulting with the tank spinning around and grinding its way down into the foxhole.  The tankers slept upwind of their tanks.

   On April 9, 1942, when Filipino and American forces were surrendered to the Japanese, Roger escaped to Corregidor.  He became a Prisoner of War when the island was surrendered to Japanese on May 6, 1942.  As a POW, he was sent to Cabanatuan.  It should be mentioned that his parents did not learn that he was a POW until May 21, 1943.
    Sometime in late 1942 or early 1943, Roger was selected for a work detail in Manila.  It was while Roger was on this detail that his parents received word, on May 21, 1943, that he was a POW.  This was the first news they had about him since he had left the States.  The detail occupied the Bachrach Garage and repaired trucks, cars and other equipment for the Japanese.  With him, on the detail, were Clyde Ehrhardt, Arthur Van Pelt, Warren Hildebrandt, Daniel Boni, and Ralph Ellis of B Company.  He remained on this detail until October 1944 when the detail was disbanded and the POWs were sent to Pier 7 in Manila. 
    Roger and the other POWs were boarded onto the Arisan Maru.  The POWs were schedule to sail on the Hokusen Maru, but the ship was ready sail and their entire POW detachment had not arrived at the pier.  The Japanese swapped POW detachments and put the other detachment on the ship.
    The Arisan Maru sailed on October 11th to avoid attacks by American planes.  The ship returned to Manila to join the convoy.  For the next twelve days as the ship waited, the POWs remained in the holds until the ship sailed a second time.
    According to the survivors of the Arisan Maru, on Tuesday, October 24, 1944, near dinner time, POWs were on deck preparing the meal for those in the ship's two holds.  The ship was, in the Bashi Channel, off the coast of China.  There was a sudden jar which was caused by the ship being hit by two torpedoes.  The ship stopped dead in the water.  It is believed that the submarine that fired the torpedoes was the U. S. S Snook.
    As the Japanese abandoned ship, they cut the rope ladders into the ship's two holds.  Some of the POWs in the second hold were able to climb out and lowered a ladder to those in the first hold.  They also dropped ropes down to the POWs in both holds.
    Many of the POWs attempted to escape the ship by clinging to rafts, hatch covers, flotsam and jetsam.  Most of the POWs survived the attack but died because the Japanese refused to rescue  them.  The Japanese destroyers in the convoy deliberately pulled away from the POWs as they attempted to reach them.
    Sgt. Roger Heilig lost his life when the Arisan Maru was torpedoed in the South China Sea.  Of the 1800 POWs on the ship, only nine survived the sinking.  Since he was lost at sea, Sgt. Roger Heilig's name is inscribed on the Tablets of the Missing at the American Military Cemetery outside of Manila.  After the war, 1st Sgt. Roger Helig's family had a memorial dedicated to him at Arlington National Cemetery in Virginia.
    It should be mentioned that Roger's best friend, Warren Hildebrandt, whom he joined the National Guard with also died in the sinking of the Arisan Maru.

Return to Company B