Pvt. Paul Alexander Grassick

    Pvt. Paul A. Grassick was the son of Alexander Grassick and Mabel Marks-Grassick.  He was born in May 6, 1919, and raised in Mansfield, Ohio.  With his two brothers, he resided at 327 East Fourth Street.  Paul was a 1938 graduate of Mansfield Senior High School.  After high school, he drove a truck for a dry cleaner.

    Paul was musically talented and played the trumpet and attended Oberlin College for music.  He and his brother, Bill, traveled the Ohio with their band.  

    In late 1940, a draft act had just been passed by the U.S. Government and Paul received his draft notice.  He was sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky for basic training.  While there, he was assigned to C Company, 192nd Tank Battalion.  The reason this was done was that the tank company had originally been an Ohio National Guard Tank Company from Port Clinton, Ohio, and the army was filling vacancies with men from the home states of each tank company.

    At Ft. Knox, Paul was sent to radio school and trained to be a radio operator.  Since each tank crew member needed to know how to do more than one job, he also learned how to use a machine gun.  

    In the late summer of 1941, Paul's battalion took part in maneuvers Louisiana from September 1 through 30.  On October 25, 1941, after maneuvers in Louisiana, Paul and the other members of the company were given the news that they were being sent overseas.  Since the battalion was created from four National Guard Tank Companies, those men 29 years old or older were given the opportunity to resign from federal service.  Replacements, including Charles, for these men came from the 753rd Tank Battalion.  He was assigned to C Company.  The 192nd also received the tanks and half-tracks from the battalion.

    The decision for this move -  which had been made in August 1941 - was the result of an event that took place in the summer of 1941.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf, in the Philippines, when one of the pilots, who was flying at a lower altitude, noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a flagged buoy in the water and saw another in the distance.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island which was hundred of miles away.  The island had a large radio transmitter.  The squadron continued its flight plan south to Mariveles and returned to Clark Field.
    When the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day.  The next day, when another squadron was sent to the area, the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat - with a tarp on its deck - which was seen making its way to shore.   Since communication between the Air Corps and Navy was difficult, the boat escaped.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
    The battalion traveled west over different train routes and arrived at Ft. Mason in San Francisco and were ferried. on the U.S.A.T General Frank M. Coxe to Angel Island where they given physicals and inoculated by the battalion's medical detachment.   Anyone who had a medical condition was replaced or held back and scheduled to rejoin the battalion at a later date.
    The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.A.T. Gen. Hugh L. Scott and sailed on Monday, October 27.  During this part of the trip, many tankers had seasickness, but once they recovered they spent much of the time training in breaking down machine guns, cleaning weapons, and doing KP.   The ship arrived at Honolulu, Hawaii, on Sunday, November 2 and had a two day layover, so the soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island.
    On Wednesday, November 5, the ship sailed for Guam but took a southerly route away from the main shipping lanes.  It was at this time it was joined by, the heavy cruiser, the U.S.S. Louisville and, another transport, the S.S. President Calvin Coolidge.  Sunday night, November 9, the soldiers went to bed and when they awoke the next morning, it was Tuesday, November 11.  During the night, while they slept, the ships had crossed the International Dateline.  On Saturday, November 15, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The Louisville revved up its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it shot off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out the smoke was from a ship that belonged to a friendly country.
    When they arrived at Guam on Sunday, November 16, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables before sailing for Manila the next day.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night and did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  The ships entered Manila Bay, at 8:00 A.M., on Thursday, November 20, and docked at Pier 7 later that morning.  At 3:00 P.M., most of the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg.  Those who drove trucks drove them to the fort, while the maintenance section remained behind at the pier to unload the tanks.
    At the fort, the tankers were met by Gen. Edward P. King.  King welcomed them and made sure that they had what they needed.  He also was apologetic that there were no barracks for the tankers and that they had to live in tents.  The fact was he had not learned of their arrival until days before they arrived.

    The members of the battalion pitched the tents in an open field halfway between the Clark Field Administration Building and Fort Stotsenburg.  The tents were set up in two rows and five men were assigned to each tent.  There were two supply tents and meals were provided by food trucks stationed at the end of the rows of tents.  
    For the next seventeen days the tankers spent much of their time removing cosmoline from their weapons.  They also spent a large amount of time loading ammunition belts.  The plan was for them, with the 194th Tank Battalion, to take part in maneuvers.
    The tanks were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field on December 1st to guard against paratroopers.  Two members of each tank crew remained with their tank at all times.  The morning of December 8, the officers of the battalions met and were informed of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor hours earlier.  The tankers were in shock as they returned to the perimeter of Clark Field. 
    All morning long, the sky was filled with American planes.  At noon, all the planes landed and the pilots went to lunch.  At 12:45 planes approached the airfield from the north.  The tankers on duty at the airfield counted 54 planes.  When bombs began exploding, the men knew the planes were Japanese. 
    When the Japanese were finished, there was not much left of the airfield.  The soldiers watched as the dead, dying, and wounded were hauled to the hospital on bomb racks, trucks, and anything that could carry the wounded was in use.  When the hospital filled, they watched the medics place the wounded under the building.  Many of these men had their arms and legs missing.
    That night the tankers slept with their tanks or half-tracks.  Those not in a tank or half-track crew slept outside away from their tents.  Of that night.  The battalion, with the exception of A Company, remained at Ft. Stotsenburg for almost two weeks, until they were than sent to the Lingayen Gulf area where the Japanese had landed.

    The tank battalion received orders on December 21 that it was to proceed north to Lingayen Gulf.   Because of logistics problems, the B and C Companies soon ran low on gas.  When they reached Rosario, there was only enough for one tank platoon, from B Company, to proceed north to support the 26th Cavalry.
    On December 23 and 24, the battalion was in the area of Urdaneta.   The bridge they were going to use to cross the Agno River was destroyed and the tankers made an end run to get south of river.  As they did this, they ran into Japanese resistance early in the evening.  They successfully crossed at the river in the Bayambang Province.
    On December 25, the tanks of the battalion held the southern bank of the Agno River from Carmen to Tayung, with the tanks of the 194th holding the line on the Carmen-Alcala-Bautista Road. The tanks held the position until 5:30 in the morning on December 27.
    The tankers were fell back toward Santo Tomas near Cabanatuan on December 27th, and December were at San Isidro south of Cabanatuan on December 28 and 29.  While there, the bridge over the Pampanga River was destroyed, they were able find a crossing over the river.  

    At Cabu, C Company's tanks were hidden in brush.  The Japanese troops passed the tanks for three hours without knowing that they were there.  While the troops passed, Lt. William Gentry was on his radio describing what he was seeing.  It was only when a Japanese soldier tried take a short cut through the brush, that his tank was hidden in, that the tanks were discovered.  The tanks turned on their sirens and opened up on the Japanese.  They then fell back to Cabanatuan.

    C Company was re-supplied and withdrew to Baluiag where the tanks encountered Japanese troops and ten tanks.  It was at Baluiag that C Company's tanks won the first tank battle victory of World War II against enemy tanks.  After the battle, C Company made its way south.  When it entered Cabanatuan, it found the barrio filled with Japanese guns and other equipment.  The tank company destroyed as much of the equipment as it could before proceeding south.

    On December 31, 1941, the commanding officer of C Company sent out reconnaissance patrols north of the town of Baluiag.  The patrols ran into Japanese patrols, which told the Americans that the Japanese were on their way.  Knowing that the railroad bridge was the only way into the town and to cross the river, the company set up it's defenses in view of the bridge and the rice patty it crossed. 

    Early on the morning of the 31st, the Japanese began moving troops and across the bridge.  The engineers came next and put down planking for tanks.  A little before noon Japanese tanks began crossing the bridge.  

    Later that day, the Japanese had assembled a large number of troops in the rice field on the northern edge of the town.  One platoon of tanks under the command of 2nd Lt. Marshall Kennady were to the southeast of the bridge.   Lt. Gentry's tanks were to the south of the bridge in huts, while third platoon commanded by Capt Harold Collins was to the south on the road leading out of Baluiag2nd Lt. Everett Preston had been sent south to find a bridge to cross to attack the Japanese from behind.  

    Major Morley came riding in his jeep into Baluiag.  He stopped in front of a hut and was spotted by the Japanese who had lookouts in the town's church's steeple.  The guard became very excited so Morley, not wanting to give away the tanks positions, got into his jeep and drove off.  Bill had told him that his tanks would hold their fire until he was safely out of the village.

     When Gentry felt the Morley was out of danger, he ordered his tanks to open up on the Japanese tanks at the end of the bridge.  The tanks then came smashing through the huts' walls and drove the Japanese in the direction of Lt. Marshall Kennady's tanks.  Kennady had been radioed and was waiting.

    Kennady's platoon held it's fire until the Japanese were in view of his platoon and then joined in the hunt.  The Americans chased the tanks up and down the streets of the village, through buildings and under them.  By the time Bill's unit was ordered to disengage from the enemy, they had knocked out at least eight enemy tanks.  

    The tankers withdrew to Calumpit Bridge after receiving orders from Provisional Tank Group.  When they reached the bridge, they discovered it had been blown.  Finding a crossing the tankers made it to the south side of the river.  Knowing that the Japanese were close behind, the Americans took their positions in a harvested rice field and aimed their guns to fire a tracer shell through the harvested rice.  This would cause the rice to ignite which would light the enemy troops.

    The tanks were spaced about 100 yards apart.  The Japanese crossing the river knew that the Americans were there because the tankers shouted at each other to make the Japanese believe troops were in front of them.  The Japanese were within a few yards of the tanks when the tanks opened fire.

    Lighting the rice stacks, the Americans opened up with small fire.  They then used their .37 mm guns.  The fighting was such a rout that the the tankers were using a .37 mm shell to kill one Japanese soldier.

    The tank company was next sent to the barrio of Porac to aid the Filipino army which was having trouble with Japanese artillery fire.  From a Filipino lieutenant, Gentry learned where the guns were and attacked.  Before the Japanese withdrew, the tankers had knocked out three of the guns. 

    After this, the tanks withdrew to the Hermosa Bridge and held it on the north side until all the troops were across.  The tanks then crossed to the south and destroyed the bridge which held the Japanese up for a few days.  This was the beginning of the Battle of Bataan.

    In addition to serving as a rear guard, the tankers burnt everything that was being left behind.  They burnt warehouses, banks, and businesses that would help the Japanese.    
    The company took part in the Battle of the Pockets.  The Japanese had lunched an offensive and were pushed back to the original battle line.  Two pockets of Japanese soldiers were trapped behind the line.  The tanks were sent in to the pockets to wipe them out.  One platoon of tanks would relieve another platoon.  The tanks would do this one at a time. 
    The tanks used two strategies to do this. In the first, the tanks would go over a foxhole.  Three Filipino soldiers were sitting on the back of the tanks.  Each man had a bag of hand grenades.  As the tank was passing over the foxhole, the three soldiers would drop hand grenades into the foxhole.
    The second method was to park a tank over a foxhole.  The driver would then spun the tank, in a circle, on one track until it ground itself into the ground wiping out the Japanese.  The tankers slept upwind from the tanks so they didn't have to smell the rotting flesh.
    Paul said about fighting the Japanese, "Our job was to hold out as long as we could so defenses south of us to Australia could be prepared.  We would advance to the front lines, fight, and then drop back for food, ammunition, and gasoline."
    In March, the amount of gasoline was reduced to 15 gallons a day for all vehicles except the tanks.  This would later be dropped to ten gallons a day.  At the same time, food rations were cut in half again.  Also at this time, Gen. Weaver suggested to Gen. Wainwright that a platoon of tanks be sent to Corregidor.
    The Japanese lunched an all out attack on April 3.  On April 7, the 57th Infantry, Philippine Scouts, supported by tanks, attempted to restore the line, but Japanese infiltrators prevented this from happening.  During this action, one tank was knocked out but the remaining tanks successfully withdrew.  C Company, 194th, which was attached to the 192nd, had only seven tanks left.
    The tanks became a favorite target of the Japanese receiving fire on trails and while hidden in the jungle. and could not fight back.  The situation was so bad that other troops avoided being near the tanks, and the 26th Cavalry turned down a tank company's offer of assistance in a counter-attack. 
   It was the evening of April 8, that Gen. Edward P. King decided that further resistance was futile, since approximately 25% of his men were healthy enough to fight, and he estimated they would last one more day.  In addition, he had over 6,000 troops who sick or wounded and 40,000 civilians who he feared would be massacred.  At 10:30 that night, he sent his staff officers to negotiate surrender terms.
    Tank battalion commanders received this order, "You will make plans, to be communicated to company commanders only, and be prepared to destroy within one hour after receipt by radio, or other means, of the word 'CRASH', all tanks and combat vehicles, arms, ammunition, gas, and radios: reserving sufficient trucks to close to rear echelons as soon as accomplished."  
    The morning of the April 9, 1942, at 6:45 the tankers received the order "crash" and destroyed their tanks.  When the Japanese made contact with them, they were ordered to Mariveles where they started the death march.  Of this he recalled,"We were herded into fields by day and marched in the stifling heat at night.  Those who dropped out were bayoneted."

    At Mariveles, members of C Company were mixed in with other Prisoners Of War and began the death march.  Paul was in a group of prisoners that included Sgt. Albert Allen, Pvt. George Zimmerman, T/5 Earl Charles, Pvt. Merle Miller and Pvt. Robert Robinette. 

    Paul recalled that the Japanese guards were mean for no apparent reason.  The guards did things to the POWs because they could do them.  Paul watched the guards strip a prisoner and chain him to a stake.  This was done even though it was apparent that the man was out of his head.   
    In another incident,  a Japanese truck intentionally swerved into the POWs.  Sgt. Albert Allen was hit during one of these incidents.  He did not finish the march with Paul's POW group.  It took Paul nine days to complete the march.   

    The lack of food and water was also a major issue for the POWs.  In his own words, " I went nine days without food."  The Japanese would not allow the prisoners to drink water from the artesian wells that they marched past, but they would let the POWS drink from the ditches that ran alongside the road.  For water, Paul filled his canteen with ditch water that was covered in slim.  To make it safe to drink, Paul added iodine pills that he had hidden by sewing them into his clothing.  On one occasion, a Japanese guard knocked the canteen from his hand.  When he reached for it, the guard kneed him in his groin.

    Paul was amazed at the courage of the Filipino people.  He watched as they openly defied the Japanese by giving food and water to the POWs.  He made his way north on the march to San Fernando.  There, the POWs were herded into a bull-pin.  In one corner, there was a trench that was for use as a toilet.  The surface of the pit moved from the maggots on its surface.  They remained in the pin until the Japanese ordered them to form detachments of 100 men.  Once the groups were formed, the men were marched to the train station.
    The POWs were packed into small wooden boxcars used to haul sugarcane.  The cars were known as forty or eights since they could hold forty men or eight horses.  100 POWs were packed into each car.  Those who died remained standing until the living left the cars at Capas.  From Capas, they walked the last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell.
    Camp O'Donnell was an unfinished Filipino Army base that the Japanese put into use as a POW camp and believed the camp could hold 15,000 to 20,000 POWs.  When they arrived at the camp, the camp commandant told the Americans that they were not prisoners of war but captives.  The Japanese also took away any extra clothing that the POWs carried with them and refused to return it.  The POWs were searched and anyone found with Japanese money were separated from the other POWs and sent to the guardhouse.  These POWs were accused of looting the bodies of dead Japanese soldiers.  Over several days, gunshots were heard coming from southeast of the camp.
    There was only one water faucet for the entire camp and men stood in line from 2 to 8 hours waiting for a drink.  The Japanese guard in charge of the spigot would turn it off, for no reason, and the next man in line would have to wait up to four hours for it to be turned on again. Water for cooking food had to be hauled three miles to the camp. Mess kits could not be cleaned.  Since there was no water to wash their clothing, the POWs threw away soiled clothing and stripped the dead of their clothing.  Few of the POWs in the camp hospital had clothing.
    Since most of the POWs had dysentery, the slit trenches overflowed which resulted in flies being everywhere in the camp including the camp kitchen and in the food.  The camp hospital had no water, soap, or disinfectant which also caused diseases to spread.  When the ranking American doctor presented a letter with the medicines and medical supplies they needed to treat the sick, the camp commander, Captain Yoshio Tsuneyoshi, told him never to write another letter.  He also said that the only thing he wanted to know about the POWs were their names and serial numbers after they died.
    The  Archbishop of Manila sent a truck full of medical supplies to the camp, but the Japanese refused to let it into the camp.  When a representative of the Philippine Red Cross told a Japanese lieutenant that they could set up an 150 bed hospital for the POWs, he was slapped in the face by the lieutenant.  Medicines sent to the camp by the Red Cross were confiscated by the Japanese for their own use.
    The POWs called the hospital "Zero Ward" because most of the men who entered it never came out alive.  The Japanese were so afarid of contracting an illness that they put a barbed wire fence up around it.  The POWs in the hospital lay elbow to elbow on the floor and operations were performed with knives from mess kits.  Only one medic, out of every six assigned to treat the sick, was healthy enough to perform his duties.
    Each morning, the POWs walked around the camp and collected the bodies of the dead and placed them under the hospital building.  To clean the ground, the POWs moved the bodies, scrapped the ground,  put down lime to sterilize the ground, moved the bodies back, and repeated the process where the bodies had been.  It took two to three days to bury a man after he died.
    Any POW, if he could walk, went out on a work detail for the day such as the one collected wood for the POW kitchen.  Some POWs went out on work details which lasted for months to get out of the camp.  The worse detail a man could be put on was the burial detail.  On this detail, two POWs carried a dead man to the camp cemetery.  Once there, they put the body in a grave and held the body down with a pole, since the water table was high, and covered it with dirt.  The next morning, when the burials resumed, the dead were often sitting up or had been dug up by wild dogs.

    What Paul remembered about Camp O'Donnell was that many men died there.  Many starved to death while others died from beriberi.  Paul was assigned to burial detail at the camp.  On this detail, he and the other men went out to the cemetery in the morning and dug graves.  They then returned to the camp to pick up the bodies of the dead.  In blankets attached to poles, they carried the dead to the graveyard for burial.  By the time they returned, the graves were filled with water.  To bury the dead, the workers held the corpse down in the grave with a pole.  So they could be identified after the war, a dog-tag was wedged between the two front teeth each dead POW.

    To get out of Camp O'Donnell, Paul was selected to go out on a bridge building detail.  On the detail, the POWs rebuilt the bridges that had been destroyed during the retreat into the Bataan Peninsula.  It was the rainy season and many men came down with malaria.  It is known that while on the detail a Filipino doctor gave him a shot for malaria which saved his life. 
    When the detail ended, Paul was sent to Cabanatuan which was a former Philippine Army Base and had been the home of the 91st Philippine Army Division's home.  The camp was actually three camps.  Camp One was where the men who captured on Bataan and taken part in the death march where held.  Camp Two did not have an adequate water supply and was closed.  It later reopened and housed Naval POWs.  Camp Three was where those men captured when Corregidor surrender were taken.  In addition, men from Bataan who had been hospitalized when the surrender came were sent to the camp.  Camps One and Three were later consolidated into one camp.
    To prevent escapes, the POWs set up a detail that patrolled the fence of the camp.  The reason this was done was that those who did escape and were caught, were tortured before being executed, while the other POWs were made to watch.  It is believed that no POW successfully escaped from the camp. 
    The POWs were sent out on work details to cut wood for the POW kitchens.  Meals on a daily basis consisted of 16 ounces of cooked rice, 4 ounces of vegetable oil, and sweet potato or corn.  The POWs were forced to work in the fields from 7:00 in the morning until 5:00 in the evening.  Most of the food they grew went to the Japanese not them.  Other POWs worked in rice paddies.  What details Joe took part in from the camp is not known.  
    The POW barracks were built to house 50 POWs, but most held between 60 and 120 men.  The POWs slept on bamboo slats without mattresses, covers, or mosquito netting.  In addition, the lack of proper bathrooms contributed to many became ill.
    Each morning, the POWs lined up for roll call.  While they stood at attention, it wasn't uncommon for them to be hit over the tops of their heads.  In addition, one guard frequently kicked them in their shins with his hobnailed boots. after arriving at the farm, the POWs went into a tool shed to get their tools.  As they left the shed, the guards hit them on their heads.  While working in the fields, the favorite punishment given to the men in the rice paddies was to have their faces pushed into the mud and stepped on by a guard.  Returning from a detail the POWs bought, or were given, medicine, food, and tobacco, which they somehow managed to get into the camp even though they were searched when they returned.
    The camp hospital was composed of 30 wards.  The ward for the sickest POWs was known as "Zero Ward," which got its name because it had been missed when the wards were counted.  The name soon meant the place where those who were extremely ill went to die.  Each ward had two tiers of bunks and could hold 45 men but often had as many as 100 men in each.  Each man had a two foot wide by six foot long area to lie in.  The sickest men slept on the bottom tier since the platforms had holes cut in them so the sick could relieve themselves without having to leave the tier.   During his time in the camp he credited a Catholic priest and nuns who did whatever the could to help the POWs.

    Paul was sent to Bilibid Prison for processing on October 28, 1942.  The POWs were given a physical and it was determined that he was healthy enough to be sent to Japan.  Paul was boarded onto the Nagato Maru on November 6, 1942.  The POWs were packed in so tightly that it was impossible to move.  The ship sailed, after dark, on November 7, 1942, as part of a three ship convoy.  At one point, the hatch covers were closed when a submarine was detacted in the area.  The POWs felt the explosion from the depth cahrges through the ship's haul.  The ships arrived at Takao, Formosa, on November 11.  After the ship arrived at Takao, it was determined that seventeen POWs had died in the ship's holds. 
    After a three day stay, the ship sailed, on the 14th, but dropped anchor off the Pecadores Islands, the same day, because of a storm.  The ship remained off the islands until November 18, when it sailed for Takao, Formosa, arriving there on the same day.  It remained there until November 20 when it sailed for Japan.  The ship arrived at Moji, Japan, on November 24, 1942.

    After arriving at Moji, the POWs were disembarked and fumigated since they were covered with lice.  They also were inoculated and showered before being issued new clothing.
    The POWs boarded a train for the camp but only got as far as a tunnel that was blocked by a train wreck.  The POWs disembarked the train and climbed a mountain at night to reach the camp.  One there, they stood at attention for an hour and a half listening to the camp commander who told them he would kill them on the slightest whim.

    Paul was assigned to Mitsushima Camp outside of Tokyo.  There, the POWs worked 12 to 15 hour days without a day off.  At this camp, the POWs were assigned to a detail that was building a dam.  To do this the POWs carried bags of concrete on their backs a distance of over two miles to where a dam was being built.  Since the men were weak and sick, many died and were cremated.  Since much of the work was done during the winter, Paul's feet froze since he didn't have the proper shoes.  It was also while he was a POW in the camp that his parents received a letter from him on August 18, 1943.
   In the camp, the Japanese intentionally failed to give the POWs adequate food, and the Japanese supervisor of the POW kitchen, Tomotsu Kimura, also known as "The Punk," was known to take sacks of rice and other foods - meant for the POWs - home.  The food the POWs did receive consisted of under-cooked rice and barley, and a soup that was made from mountain greens and weeds.  The portions given to the prisoners were smaller than they should have been because Kimura skimmed food from the POWs and gave it to the guards.
    Red Cross packages which arrived at the camp were commandeered by the Japanese for themselves.  If the POWs did receive packages, it was evident that they had been gone through because canned fruits and meats, cheese, chocolate, and other items were missing.  The Japanese also took the clothing and shoes meant for the POWs.
    The camp hospital was a hospital in name only.  The POWs were given little to none medicine when they were sick, and there were no bathroom facilities for the sick.  The POWs had to sleep on soiled blankets which could not be cleaned since there were no facilities to wash them.

    Paul received one of the worse beatings as a POW in the camp, when a Japanese Guard punched him in the face.  The impact of the punch broke Paul's jaw and nose.  At some other time, his arm was broken.  Paul remained on this detail for one and a half years.  On April 16, 1944, Paul was transferred to Kanose Camp, also known as Tokyo 16-B, with 49 other POWs.

    In the camp, Paul was then sent to work in a carbide plant.  He spent the remainder of the war on this detail.  One day, representatives of the International Red Cross came to the camp.  Before they arrived, the Japanese handed out Red Cross boxes to the POWs, but told them that if they touched anything in the boxes they would be severely punished.  After the Red Cross left the camp, the Japanese confiscated the boxes.
    The POWs working at the camp had no idea how the war was going, until the day, the POWs were in the plant  working when they were suddenly sent back to the camp.  This was the first sign that something was up.  When Paul and the other POWs returned to the camp, they were informed that the war was over.

    The POWs were transported to Tokyo by train.  There they were taken to the bay.  For him, one of the most meaningful events was to see an American ship flying the Stars & Stripes.

    Paul was boarded onto a ship and returned to the Philippines for medical treatment.    He was boarded onto the U.S.S. Hugh Rodman and arrived at San Francisco on October 3, 1945.  It was almost four years after he had sailed from the city for the Philippines.  He was sent to  Letterman General Hospital and then to the John P Fletcher VA Hospital in Cambridge, Ohio.  During his time as a POW he kept a diary in which he spoke about how a Catholic priest and nuns did whatever they could for the POWs, the treatment the POWs received, and a Japanese guard, in Japan, who did what he could for the POWs.  He would later testify against Japanese guards who had abused American POWs.  The majority of these guards were later executed.  He was discharged, from the army, on April 1, 1946, but called to testify about his treatment as a POW in 1947. 

    Paul married LeVerbne Mitchell and with his wife raised two daughters and a son.  Paul worked for Tappen Corporation until he retired.  When his wife died, he married, Audrey, and became the step father to three daughters and two sons.  In April 1967, the employees of Tappen contributed money so that Paul and his wife could return to the Philippines for the 25th Anniversary of the surrender of Bataan.  The lasting affects of his time as a POW was that he had a crooked jaw and a mangled arm.

    During the Vietnam war, Albert Allen, who also was in his tank company, and Paul collected signatures for "Project Humanity."  This organization was set up to get the North Vietnamese to follow the terms of the Geneva Convention in their treatment of American POWs.  
    Paul Grassick passed away in Bellville, Ohio, on March 25, 2009.  After services at Chapel Hill United Methodist Church, he was buried at Mansfield Cemetery in Mansfield, Ohio.


Return to C Company