Pfc. George Everett Chumley

    Pfc. George E. Chumley was born on May 24, 1921, to Wiley Chumley & Lola Taylor-Chumley, and was known as "Everett" to his family.  It is known he had two sisters and a brother and grew up on Greenville Street in Harrodsburg, Kentucky.   He worked as a waiter at a restaurant. 
    Sometime in the late 1930s, George joined the Kentucky National Guard as a member of the 38th Tank Company headquartered in an armory in Harrodsburg.  He was called to federal service when the tank company became D Company, 192nd Tank Battalion.  He spent nearly a year training at Fort Knox, Kentucky, where he qualified as a tank driver and later became a tank commander.  

    In the late summer of 1940, he took part in maneuvers in Louisiana, from September 1st through 30th.  It was after these maneuvers at Camp Polk, Louisiana, that the tank battalion learned they were being sent overseas.  Men 29 years old or older were allowed to resign fro federal service.
    The reason for this move was an event that took place in the summer of 1941.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf when one of the pilots noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a buoy in the water.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island, with a large radio transmitter, hundred of miles away.  The squadron continued its flight plane and flew south to Mariveles and then returned to Clark Field.  When the planes landed, it was too late to do anything that day, and the next day - when a Navy ship was sent to the area - the buoys had been picked up.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.
    The battalion's new tanks came from the 753rd Tank Battalion and were loaded onto flat cars, on different trains.  The soldiers also cosmolined anything that they thought would rust.  Over different train routes, the companies were sent to San Francisco, California, where they were ferried, by the U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe, to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island.  On the island, they were given physicals, by the battalion's medical detachment, and men found with minor medical conditions were held on the island and scheduled to rejoin the battalion at a later date.  Other men were simply replaced.
    The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.A.T. Gen. Hugh L. Scott and sailed on Monday, October 27th.  During this part of the trip, many tankers had seasickness, but once they recovered they spent much of the time training in breaking down machine guns, cleaning weapons, and doing KP.   They arrived at Honolulu, Hawaii, on Sunday, November 2nd and had a two day layover, so the soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island.
    On Wednesday, November 5th, the ship sailed for Guam but took a southerly route away from the main shipping lanes.  It was at this time it was joined by, the heavy cruiser, the U.S.S. Louisville and, the transport, S.S. President Calvin Coolidge.  Sunday night, November 9th, the soldiers went to bed and when they awoke the next morning, it was Tuesday, November 11th.  During the night, while they slept, the ships had crossed the International Date Line.  On Saturday, November 15th, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The Louisville revved up its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it shot off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out the smoke was from a ship that belonged to a friendly country.
    When they arrived at Guam on Sunday, November 16th, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables before sailing for Manila the next day.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night and did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  The ships entered Manila Bay, at 8:00 A.M., on Thursday, November 20th, and docked at Pier 7 later that morning.  At 3:00 P.M., most of the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg.  Those who drove trucks drove them to the fort, while the maintenance section remained behind at the pier to unload the tanks.
    At the fort, the tankers were met by Gen. Edward P. King, who welcomed them and made sure that they had what they needed.  He also was apologetic that there were no barracks for the tankers and that they had to live in tents.  The fact was he had not learned of their arrival until days before they arrived.  He made sure that they had Thanksgiving Dinner, which consisted of stew thrown into their mess kits, before he left to have his own dinner.
    For the next seventeen days the tankers spent much of their time removing cosmoline from their weapons.  They also spent a large amount of time loading ammunition belts.  The plan was for them, with the 194th Tank Battalion, to take part in maneuvers. 
It was at this time   

that D Company was attached to the 194th Tank Battalion, but the official transfer of the company, to the battalion, never took place.
    On December1, the tank battalions were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field.  The 194th covered the northern half of the airfield and the 192nd covered the southern half.  Two members of each tank crew remained with their tanks at all times, including meals.

    George recalled that the morning of December 8, 1941, the tankers were at their tanks around the perimeter of Clark Field.   They had been told of the attack on Pearl Harbor, and the companies half-tracks were moved to the airfield.  That morning, American planes were in the sky.  Around noon, the planes landed and lined up, in a straight line, outside the mess hall to be refueled.  According to George the all clear signal was given and everyone went to lunch.

    George was in the Non-Commission Officers Canteen when planes appeared over Clark Field.  He eating chicken and looking out a window, and as he looked at the airfield, bombs began to explode.  As the bombs got closer to where he was, he went out and hid behind a tree.  When he got up, he saw that everything was a mess.

    George saw several dead bodies.  Many of the bodies had been burnt.  He stated that the worse thing that they had to deal with after the attack was the smell coming from the burnt bodies.  It was so bad that he was unable to eat for a week.

    When the tanks were given orders to pull out, they soon discovered that without air cover it was unsafe to move during the day.  The tanks were moved at night to prevent them from being attacked by Japanese planes.

    George felt that driving a tank at night was never safe, but something that a tank driver learned to do.  One reason doing this was unsafe was that the tank crews never knew what lay ahead.

    Not every moment was hectic.  During calm moments the tankers would turn on the tank's radio and listen to Tokyo Rose.  Doing this violated a standing order that they had received not to listen to enemy broadcasts. George said that they ignored the propaganda she broadcast, but they enjoyed the music.  In many cases, she played the latest songs.

    George believed that anyone who said that they were not afraid was lying.  He believed that everyone was always afraid.  With time, what happened was that the person got to the point that he didn't care.  George felt that part of the reason for this was that the soldiers were always hungry, sweaty, nervous, tired and thirsty.

    On his last day in a tank, George was driving along a mountain road.  In the turret, was a young lieutenant who was pretty nervous in George's opinion.  George stated that a tank driver drives the tank according to where the commander touches the driver with his foot. If the commander taps the driver on the right shoulder, the driver turned the tank to the right.  The same for the left shoulder.  There were a series of signals like this.

    George said that this young lieutenant kicked him pretty hard in the shoulder causing him to make a hard turn.  The result was one track hung out over the edge of the road.  The tank was stuck with no hope of moving it.  Knowing the Japanese were approaching, the tankers destroyed the tank and made their way on foot.  As they walked they saw the tank hit by enemy fire and go over the cliff.

    George was walking with another member of the tank crew when they were spotted by a Japanese plane.  As the plane came in to attack them, he dove to one side of the road.  The other tanker dove to the other side of the road.  The plane released a bomb which hit near George.  After it was clear, George got up and went to find the other tank crew member.  He discovered that the bomb the plane had dropped had blown the man to bits.  George could not find anything of the man.

    By himself, George made his way to a pygmy village.  The villagers fed him and hid him from the enemy.  When it was safe, he made his way south.  At one point, he saw 150 Filipinos laying in a field.  He thought they were resting.  He made his way into the field and discovered that they were dead.  Not too long after this incident, George caught up to his company.

    George recalled that on Christmas Day his Christmas Dinner consisted of a can of pork and beans and a coconut that a Filipino boy climbed a tree to get.  He shared both with another tanker.

    For the next four months, George took part in many of the major engagements against the Japanese.  On April 8, 1942, he and other members of D Company learned that they were suppose to surrender the next morning.  He and a number of other tankers made the decision that they would attempt to escape to Corregidor.

    After, arriving there, George spent a great deal of time in Middleside Barracks, hiding under a pool table during air raids.  He decided it was safer to be in a tunnel on the island.  When George was given the opportunity to go to Fort Drum, he jumped at the chance.  There, they fought on for another month until the island was surrendered on May 6, 1942.  He returned to Corregidor and was held on the beach for two weeks.

    George and the other Prisoners of War had heard of the march made by the Filipinos and Americans made on Bataan.  When they were taken by barge to an area near Manila, they feared that they would have the same thing done to them.  They marched ten miles through Manila toward Bilibid Prison.

    After being held at Bilibid for approximately two weeks, when he and the other prisoners were taken by barge to a point off Luzon.  They jumped off the barge and swam to shore.  On shore they were marched to Bilibid Prison and remained there several days.  From there, they were marched to a railroad station, packed into boxcars, and taken to Cabanatuan.

    Being captured on Corregidor meant he was held at Camp Three.  The POWs in the camp were in better shape then the men who had been captured on Bataan and being held at Camp One.  When the camp closed, the POWs from Camp Three were sent to Camp One.
    To prevent escapes, the POWs set up a detail that patrolled the fence of the camp.  The reason this was done was that those who did escape and were caught, were tortured before being executed, while the other POWs were made to watch.  It is believed that no POW successfully escaped from the camp.
    Meals on a daily basis consisted of 16 ounces of cooked rice, 4 ounces of vegetable oil, and sweet potato or corn.  Since the POWs were underfed, many became ill and died of malnutrition.
    The POWs were sent out on work details to cut wood for the POW kitchens.  Other POWs worked in rice paddies.  Each morning, as the POWs stood at attention and roll call was taken, the Japanese guards hit them across their heads.  After arriving at the farm, the POWs went into a tool shed to get their tools.  As they left the shed, the guards hit them on their heads.  While working in the fields, the favorite punishment given to the men in the rice paddies was to have their faces pushed into the mud and stepped on by a guard to drive their faces deeper into the mud.  Returning from a detail the POWs bought, or were given, medicine, food, and tobacco, which they somehow managed to get into the camp even though they were searched when they returned.
    The barracks used by the POWs were built to hold 50 POWs, but the Japanese put from 60 to 120 POWs in each one.  There no shower facilities and the POWs slept on  bamboo strips.  In addition no bedding, covers, or mosquito netting was provided which resulted in many becoming ill.
    The camp hospital was made up of 30 wards.  Zero ward had been missed when the wards were being counted so it was given the name of "Zero Ward."  The ward became the place were POWs who were going to die were sent.  The Japanese were so terrified by it, that they put a fence up around it and would not go near the building.  Most of the POWs who died there died because their bodies were too malnourished to fight the diseases they had.

    At Cabanatuan, George worked at the camp farm.  The food was suppose to go to the prisoners but much of it went to the Japanese.  George recalled that the Japanese did not like the POWs talking to each other.  If they caught a man taking when they were suppose to be working, the Japanese would tie the man to an aunt hill and let the red aunts bite the man.

    George also said that if a POW was caught stealing the Japanese would put the man into a four by four box until he died.  Knowing this was the punishment, the POWs came up with their own punishment.  When a member of George's barracks was caught stealing, he was made to run a belt-line.  It may have seemed harsh, but at least the man was still alive when he had finished.
    Recalling his time as a POW, George said, "They don't look at things like we do. I guess they treated their own prisoners or outcasts like they treated us."

    As his time as a POW went on, George began to wonder if his effort to stay alive was worth it.  Because the diet in the camp was so bad, he lost his vision, so another POW led him around.  According to medical records kept at the camp, George was hospitalized in the camp hospital on July 7, 1942.  The records do not say when he was discharged.  George said that he got his vision back after he was given cod oil that the Filipinos outside the camp smuggled into the camp.  Ironically, the man who had helped George, when he was blind, lost his eyesight and never got it back.  It should be mentioned that George's family did not learn he was a Prisoner of War until March 31, 1943.
    In January 1943, George was sent out on a work detail to Lipa Batangas.  The POWs built runways and revetments at Lipa Airfield and a farm.   Not long after arriving at Lipa, on January 12, 1943, George was sent to the hospital ward at Bilibid Prison suffering from exophthalmia, the dryness of the cornea of the eye, which is caused by a lack of Vitamin A.  He was discharged on April 12, 1943.

   Recalling the food fed to the POWs, he said, "Food was terrible - I remember we even ate dogs sometimes - and the Japs had that 'blood brother' system."

    George was selected to be sent to Japan on one of the first ships of POWs sent there.  The ship that George was on was the Clyde Maru.  The ship left Manila on July 23, 1943, but instead of heading to Formosa, it went to Santa Cruz, Zambales.  There, it loaded manganese ore.  After three days in port, it sailed for Formosa arriving there on July 28th. 

    On August 5th, the ship sailed as part of a nine ship convoy.  The convoy arrived at Moji, Japan, on August 7, 1943.  During the trip to Japan several of the ships in the convoy had been sunk by American submarines. After a two day train ride George was held at Fukuoka Camp #17

    The barracks the POWs were assigned were 120 feet long by 20 feet wide.  Each barracks was divided into ten rooms.  Four to six POWs slept in a room.  The rooms each had a light. This was to enable the Japanese guards to count the POWs.

     The POWs in the camp were used to extract coal from a coal mine that had been condemned because it had become unsafe.  The POWs worked six days a week for twelve hours a day.  They worked bent over since they were much taller then the Japanese who worked in the mine.

    Conditions in the mine varied.  One area was referred to as the "hotbox" because of its high temperatures.   Another was called by various names, all obscene, because it was extremely cold.  In some areas of the mine, water leaked into the mine from the bay it extended under.

    George believed that one of the major problems between that Japanese and Americans was that they did not understand each other.  The Japanese army allowed physical punishment.  The lowest ranking Japanese soldiers could be hit by those soldiers who outranked them.
    A meal consisted of seven spoonfuls of water and one fourth a cup of very poor quality watery rice a day.  To supplement their diets, the prisoners also ate dog meat, radishes, potato greens and seaweed.
    Corporal punishment was an everyday occurrence at the camp.  The guards beat the POWs for slightest reason and continued until the POW was unconscious.  The man was then taken to the guardhouse and put in solitary confinement without food or water for a long period of time.

    These soldiers with the lowest ranks took great pleasure at hitting the POWs because the POWs were the only ones that they could hit.  In one incident, George had a small Japanese private hit him in the face with a board while George stood at attention.  The result of this was that George's nose was broken.  The thing that bothered George was that he had no idea why he had been hit.

    In a second incident, George was made to do pushups in the snow until he collapsed from exhaustion.  The Japanese then beat him.  George was the only prisoner made to do this. Again, he had no idea why he was being punished.  He concluded that the reason was that since the Japanese guards had the power to do this to him, they did.
    On another occasion, George was working mine the mine when he accidentally brushed a guard with the sledge hammer he was using.  The guard grabbed his belt to slam George against the wall.  George stated, "I got mad and grabbed him in a headlock. I really put the pressure on him."  None of the other POWs attempted to help him.  "If you got into trouble, you had to go it alone."  It simply was how the things were in the camp.  "The other guards finally got me loose.  I knew I was a goner.  They would shoot you for attacking a Jap." 
To George's amazement, nothing ever happened.  He believed it was because a Japanese foreman had spoken to the guard after the incident.  George never knew what the foreman said, but what happened never came up again.

    George and the other POWs worked in the coal mine.  Since it was unsafe, the men lived with the knowledge that any of them could be killed at any time.  Another member of D Company, Heze Sallee, died in the mine when the section of the mine he was working in collapsed.

    While working in the mine, George broke his foot in a mining accident.  In reality, his foot was almost cut off.  Despite his injury, George had to walk two miles from the mine back to the camp to receive treatment from a Japanese doctor.

    Life in the camp was extremely hard, especially during the winter.  The POWs had only straw mats to sleep on and a couple of military blankets.  At night, the wind come up through the floorboards of the barracks and through the mats.  George said that working in the mine actually became one of the few places where the POWs were warm.  They were warm enough to work only in G-strings.

    Being superstitious, the Japanese made the POWs stop at a Shinto Shrine before they entered the mine.  The POWs had to bow, clap their hands three times, and say a prayer to the mine gods to keep them safe.  One day when the POWs left the mine, they found that while they had been working American bombers had leveled the shrine.  He and the other POWs never had to stop there again.

    To get out of working in the mine, prisoners paid other POWs to break their arms.  The payment usually was several bowls of rice.  He was asked on several occasions by other prisoners to break their arms.  Of this, he said, "We worked about 1000 feet underground seven days a week, 12 hours a day.  Every fourth Sunday, we got a day off.  Food was terrible -- I remember we ate dogs sometimes -- and the Japs had the blood brother system...."

    One day, George accidentally brushed a guard with a sledge hammer while working in the mine.  The Japanese guard grabbed his belt to slam him against the wall.   "I got mad and grabbed him in a headlock.  I really put the pressure on him."  None of the other POWs came to help him. That was the rule, "If you got in trouble, you had to go it on your own.  The other guards finally got me loose.  I knew I was a goner.  They would shoot you for attacking a Jap."  But that night nothing happened, because a Japanese foreman had spoken to the guard.  "Nobody ever mentioned it."
    At Fukuoka #17, the POWs very seldom got mail.  During his time there, George received one letter and one package from home.  The letter was from his sister-in-law, and the package was from his mother.  In the package was a note saying that his mother was sending him razor blades, a comb, vitamin pills, tobacco, rolling papers, swimming trunks, and shoes.  The reason she sent the swimming trunks was that the Japanese claimed that the POWs swam at the beach everyday.

    When he got the package, it had already been gone through by the Japanese.  They kept what they wanted which included the shoes.  The shoes were the one thing that he needed since his had worn out and the Japanese refused to give him new ones.

    During his time in the camp, George received very little news on the war.  George said that the one piece of news that the Japanese did tell the POWs was that President Roosevelt had died.  He believed that the Japanese hoped that the POWs would become depressed hearing of it.

    George was in camp the day the atomic bomb was dropped on Nagasaki.  The POWs who saw the bomb explode described the day the as being sunny, but that the flash from the bomb actually brightened the sky.  They watched as a cloud, with every color of the rainbow, rose above Nagasaki, and that what looked like fog covered the ground.  To them, it seemed as if the city had vanished. 
    They went to work and talked to the Japanese civilians who spoke about how those, who had survived the blast, would touch their heads and pull out their hair.  They stated these people died within days.  They also told of a detachment of Japanese soldiers having been sent into Nagasaki, to find survivors, and how its members suffered the same fate.

    George and the other POWs came out of the mine and found that the next shift of POWs were not waiting to go to work.  That night, the POWs were made to stand at attention for two hours.  They all had their blankets because they believed they were going to be moved.  Instead, they were returned to their barracks.

    The next day, when it was their turn to go to work, they were told it was a holiday, and they had the day off.  George knew something was up because they had never had a holiday off before this.  

    Finally, the POWs were gathered in the camp and told that Japan and the United States were now friends.  They were also told to stay in the camp.  One day, George Weller, a reporter for the Chicago Daily News entered the camp.  He told the POWs that there were American troops on Honshu.  Although they were told to stay in the camp, four men left the camp and took a train to Osaka.  There, they met American troops.

    Before the four left the camp, the POWs found a warehouse which was full of Red Cross packages that the Japanese had kept from the POWs.  The POWs distributed the packages among themselves.  The camp was liberated on September 13, by a POW Recovery Team and on September 18, at 7:09 A.M., the POWs left the camp and were taken to Nagasaki, where they boarded a ship and were returned to the Philippines.

    When asked if he thought that using the atomic bomb was wrong, George said the bomb saved his life and the lives of the other POWs.  Expecting an American invasion of Japan, the Japanese had received orders to kill all the POWs.  The Japanese had already dug out the machine-gun placements to be used to execute the POWs.

    George was liberated on September 13, by a POW Recovery Team and on September 18, 1945, at 7:09 A.M., left the camp with the other POWs still there and taken to Nagasaki.  By ship, George was returned to the Philippines.  In late September he was boarded onto the U.S.S. General R. L. Howze which arrived at San Francisco on October 16, 1945.  George returned to Harrodsburg and was discharged, from the army, on May 2, 1946.  He married, Lonnie East, and moved to Nicholasville, Kentucky.  He worked as a plumber and was a partner in the company of Cannon & Chumley Plumbing.
    Recalling his time as a POW, George said, "I guess cruelty to the underdog is their way of life. I don't resent it now, but I sure didn't like it then. But I don't think they were mistreating us by their standards.  That's the funny thing."

    George E. Chumley worked as a plumber and passed away on May 21, 1988, in Nicholasville, Kentucky.  He was buried at Blue Grass Memorial Gardens in Nicholasville.


Return to D Company