Pfc. James Patrick Boyd

Born: 21 October 1917 - Sweetwater, Texas

Parents: Samuel P. Boyd & Ethel D. Parks-Boyd

Siblings: 3 sisters, 1 brother

Home: Sweetwater, Texas

Graduated: Sweetwater High School - 1935


    - U. S. Army

        - 11 February 1941 - Lubbock, Texas


    - 19th Ordnance Battalion

        - A Company reorganized as 17th Ordnance Company 

        - trained as small arms mechanic 

    - 17th Ordnance Company


    - Ft. Knox, Kentucky

Note: On August 15, 1941, the company received orders for duty in the Philippines because of an event that happened during the summer.  A squadron of American fighters was flying over Lingayen Gulf when one of the pilots noticed something odd.  He took his plane down and identified a buoy in the water.  He came upon more buoys that lined up, in a straight line for 30 miles to the northwest, in the direction of an Japanese occupied island, hundred of miles away, with a large radio transmitter on it.  The squadron continued its flight plan and flew south to Mariveles before returning to Clark Field.  By the time the planes landed that evening, it was too late to do anything that day.
    The next morning, another squadron was sent to the area and found that the buoys had been picked up by a fishing boat which was seen making its way toward shore.  Since communication between and Air Corps and Navy was poor, the boat was not intercepted.  It was at that time the decision was made to build up the American military presence in the Philippines.

Overseas Duty:
    - 4 September  1941 -
        - battalion traveled by train to Ft. Mason in San Francisco, California
    - Arrived: 7:30 A.M. - 5 September 1941
        - ferried to Ft. McDowell, Angel Island on U.S.A.T. General Frank M. Coxe
        - given physicals and inoculations
        - men with medical conditions replaced
    - Ship: S.S. President Calvin Coolidge
        - Boarded: Monday - 8 September 1941 - 3:00 P.M.
        - Sailed: 9:00 P.M. - same day
        - Arrived: Honolulu, Hawaii - Saturday - 13 September 1941 - 7:00 A.M.
        - Sailed: 5:00 P.M. - same day
            - escorted by the heavy cruiser, U.S.S. Astoria, and an unknown destroyer
                - smoke seen on horizon several times
                -  cruiser intercepted ships
        - Arrived: Manila - Friday - 26 September 1941
            - disembark ship - 3:00 P.M.
            - taken by bus to Fort Stostenburg
            - maintenance section with 17th ordnance remained behind to unload the tanks and reattached the turrets
                -27 September 1941 - job completed at 9:00 A.M.
    - Philippines
        - lived in tents until barracks completed - 15 November 1941 


    - Battle of Luzon

        - 8 December 1941 - 6 January 1942

    - Battle of Bataan

        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942

            - adapted World War I ordnance for use in M-3 tanks


    - 9 April 1942

        - escaped into jungle on death march with Pfc. Robert Schletterer, Pvt. Hayden Lawrence, Pvt. George Mogyorosi, Capt Richard Kadel,

          and Pvt. Frank Gyovai 

            - joined Filipino guerillas in Talac

            - helped them to maintain old WWI weapons 

        - Guerilla on Bataan

            - fought Japanese for two years in this area

            - collected and buried abandoned American ordnance for use against Japanese 

         - joined Col Thorpe's forces

         - Corporal John P. Boone's Command


    - 18 February 1945 - U.S. Forces

Promoted: Staff Sergeant

Discharged: January 1946

Married: Eva Barbara Mondelli

Children: 1 daughter, 2 sons


    - prune farmer

    - 1955 - oil distributor 


   - 21 May 1990 - U.S. Army Ordnance Hall of Fame - Ft. Ord, California


    - 29 June 1991 - Gilroy, California


    - Saint Mary's Catholic Cemetery - Gilroy, California 


    - Two Bronze Stars

    - Purple Heart

    - Prisoner of War  



Return to 17th Ordnance