Sgt. Zenon Roland Bardowski

     Sgt. Zenon R. Bardowski was born in Gary, Indiana, on October 17, 1914, to Zenon N. Bardowski & Caroline Lena Kostur-Bardowski.  He grew up at 1601 Jackson Street in Gary, Indiana, and was a 1932 graduate of Froebel High School in Gary.   His family operated a grocery and meat market.  Zenon liked cars so much that hand two friends were arrested and charged with auto theft in May, 1935.  On April 27, 1937, his father passed away.

    Zenon joined the Illinois National Guard because he knew that sooner or later the United States would become involved in World War II.  The reason he ended up in the Illinois National Guard instead of the Indiana National Guard was that he was a race car driver and an automobile mechanic.  His interest in automobiles, resulted in his wanting to get into tanks on the ground level.  Since the closest tank company to Gary was located in Maywood, Illinois, he joined the Illinois National Guard's 33rd Tank Company.

    In November of 1940, the 33rd Tank Company was federalized and sent to train at Fort Knox, Kentucky as Company B, 192nd Tank Battalion.  During this training, Zenon qualified as a driver of tracked vehicles.  He next took part in the Louisiana maneuvers of 1941.    

    After the maneuvers, the members of the company were informed that they had been selected for duty overseas and that this duty could last from six months up to six years.  The battalion was next sent to Camp Polk in Louisiana, where the older men and married men were released from federal service and replaced with men from other battalions.  It was there that the battalion received new tanks that they had never been trained to use.
    The battalion traveled west by train to San Francisco.  Arriving there, they were taken by ferry to Angel Island in San Francisco Bay.  At Ft. McDowell, they were given physicals and inoculated by the battalion's medical detachment.   Those men found to have a minor medical condition were held back and scheduled to rejoin the battalion at a later date.  Other men were simply replaced.
    The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.A.T. Hugh L. Scott and sailed on Monday, October 27.  During this part of the trip, many tankers had seasickness, but once they recovered they spent much of the time training in breaking down machine guns, cleaning weapons, and doing KP.   The ship arrived at Honolulu, Hawaii, on Sunday, November 2nd and had a two day layover, so the soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island.
    On Wednesday, November 5, the ship sailed for Guam but took a southerly route away from the main shipping lanes.  It was at this time it was joined by, the heavy cruiser, the U.S.S. Louisville and, another transport, the S. S. Calvin Coolidge.  Sunday night, November 9, the soldiers went to bed and when they awoke the next morning, it was Tuesday, November 11.  During the night, while they slept, the ships had crossed the International Date Line.  On Saturday, November 15, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  The Louisville revved up its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it shot off in the direction of the smoke.  It turned out the smoke was from a ship that belonged to a friendly country.
    When they arrived at Guam on Sunday, November 16, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables before sailing for Manila the next day.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night and did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  The ships entered Manila Bay, at 8:00 A.M., on Thursday, November 20, and docked at Pier 7 later that morning.  At 3:00 P.M., most of the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg.  Those who drove trucks drove them to the fort, while the maintenance section remained behind at the pier to unload the tanks.
   At the fort, they were greeted by Colonel Edward P. King, who apologized they had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Airfield.  He made sure that they had what they needed and received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own dinner.  Ironically, November 20 was the date that the National Guard members of the battalion had expected to be released from federal service.
    The members of the battalion pitched the tents in an open field halfway between the Clark Field Administration Building and Fort Stotsenburg.  The tents were set up in two rows and five men were assigned to each tent.  There were two supply tents and meals were provided by food trucks stationed at the end of the rows of tents.
For the next seventeen days the tankers worked to remove cosmoline from their weapons.  The grease was put on the weapons to protect them from rust while at sea.  They also loaded ammunition belts and did tank maintenance.
    On December 1, the tank battalions were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field to guard against paratroopers.  Two tank crew members remained with their tanks at all times.  They remained around the airfield for the next week. 

    The morning of December 8, ten hours after the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor, the Japanese bombed Clark Field.  It was during this attack that Zenon is credited with being the first member of an American tank crew to shoot down an enemy plane during World War II.

    According to other members of the battalion, Zenon's half-track was at the end of the runway.  A Japanese plane flew straight at it firing as it approached.  Dirt flew in two tracks from the bullets.  Bardowski stayed at his gun firing at the plane as it approached until he hit it.  The plane fell from the sky with a smoke trail following it.

    After the attack, the battalion members found the plane.  The pilot was missing both his arms and legs.  None of them had any feelings for the pilot.  When a chaplain tried to get them to bury the pilot, one man urinated on him to show his contempt.  The others simply walked away.

    As the battle for the Philippine Islands continued, Zenon was first assigned as a half-track driver for Tec. 4 Frank Goldstein.  It was their job to be in constant communication with every tank of the 192nd.  If a tank did not respond, Zenon had to drive Goldstein to find the tank and see what the problem was.

    As the battle against the Japanese continued, Zenon rose in rank from private to sergeant and was asked by 2nd Lt. Ed Winger to organize a tank platoon.  Zenon was now a tank commander with a crew of Pvt. Carl E. Garr as his tank driver and Pvt. Wallace Marston as his gunner.

    The tank battalion received orders on December 21 that it was to proceed north to Lingayen Gulf.   Because of logistics problems, the B and C Companies soon ran low on gas.  When they reached Rosario, there was only enough for one tank platoon, from B Company, to proceed north to support the 26th Cavalry.
    On December 23 and 24, the battalion was in the area of Urdaneta.   The bridge they were going to use to cross the Agno River was destroyed and the tankers made an end run to get south of river.  As they did this, they ran into Japanese resistance early in the evening.  They successfully crossed at the river in the Bayambang Province.
    On December 25th, the tanks of the battalion held the southern bank of the Agno River from Carmen to Tayung, with the tanks of the 194th holding the line on the Carmen-Alcala-Bautista Road. The tanks held the position until 5:30 in the morning on December 27.

    As the tank battalions fought the Japanese, they often found themselves to be the last troops to with draw from an area.  At the Agno River, the 192nd held the south bank of the river so other troops could cross.  The tanks of the were so far apart that in some cases they could only communicate with each other by using their radios.

    Sgt. Jim Bashleben credited Bardowski with saving his life and the life of his half-track driver, Pvt. William Oldaker.  According to Bashleben, the tanks were ahead of his half-track and had crossed a river and climbed up the river's south bank.  Bashleben's half-track got stuck and could not get up the bank.

    The tanks continued to head south when Bardowski noticed the half-track was missing.  He turned his tank around and found it stuck in the river.  Bardowski threw cables down Bashleben and Oldaker and pulled the half-tack onto the bank
    The tank battalions next covered the withdrawal of the Philippine Army at the Pampanga River.  The battalion's tanks were on both sides of the on December 31 at the Calumpit Bridge.
    On January 1, conflicting orders, about who was in command, were received by the defenders who were attempting to stop the Japanese advance down Route 5 and allowing the Southern Luzon Forces to withdraw toward Bataan.  General Wainwright was unaware of the orders, since they came from Gen. MacArthur's chief of staff. 
    Because of the orders, there was confusion among the Filipinos and American forces defending the bridge over the Pampanga River about withdrawing from the bridge with half of the defenders withdrawing.  Due to the efforts of the Self Propelled Mounts, the 71st Field Artillery, and a frenzied attack by the 192nd Tank Battalion the Japanese were halted.  From January 2 to 4, the 192nd held the road open from San Fernando to Dinalupihan so the southern forces could escape.
    At 2:30 A.M., on January 6, the Japanese attacked at Remlus in force using smoke which was an attempt by the Japanese to destroy the tank battalions. That night the tanks withdrew into the peninsula with the 192nd holding its position so that the 194th Tank Battalion could leap frog past it, cross the bridge, and then cover the 192nd's withdraw over the bridge.  The 192nd was the last American unit to enter Bataan.
    The night of January 7, the tank battalions were covering the withdrawal of all troops around Hermosa.  Around 6:00 A.M., before the bridge had been destroyed by the engineers, the 192nd crossed the bridge.
    The next day, the battalion was between Culo and Hermosa and assigned a road to enter Bataan on which was worse than having no road.  The half-tracks kept throwing their rubber tracks and members of 17th Ordnance assigned to each battalion had to re-track them in dangerous situations.  After daylight, Japanese artillery fire was landing all around the tanks.
    The next day, a composite tank company was formed under the command of Capt. Donald Haines, B Co., 192nd.  Its job was to protect the East Coast Road north of Hermosa open and to stop Japanese tanks attempting to use it to overrun the next defensive line that was forming. While in this position, the tanks were under constant enemy artillery fire.  The rest of the tanks were ordered to bivouac south of the Abucay-Hacienda Road.
    When word came that a bridge was going to be blown, all the tanks were ordered out of the area which included the composite company.  This could have resulted in a catastrophe, but the Japanese did not take advantage of the situation.
    The tanks bivouacked south of the Pilar-Bagac Road and about two kilometers from the East Coast Road.  It had almost been one month since the tank crews had a rest and the tanks had maintenance work done on them by 17th Ordnance.  It was also on this day that the tank platoons were reduced to three tanks per tank platoon.  The men rested and the tanks received the required maintenance.  Most of the tank tracks had worn down to bare metal and the radial engines long past their 400 hour overhauls.
    It was at this time the tank battalions received these orders which came from Gen. Weaver:  "Tanks will execute maximum delay, staying in position and firing at visible enemy until further delay will jeopardize withdrawal.  If a tank is immobilized, it will be fought until the close approach of the enemy, then destroyed; the crew previously taking positions outside and continuing to fight with the salvaged and personal weapons. Considerations of personal safety and expediency will not interfere with accomplishing the greatest possible delay."
    The battalions were sent to cover the junctions of the Back Road and East Road with the Abucay-Heicienda Road on January 25.  While holding the position, the 45th Infantry, Philippine Scouts, fought its way to the position at 3:00 A.M.  One platoon was sent to the front of the the column of trucks which were loading the troops.  The tanks provided heavy fire so that the infantry could withdraw and inflicted heavy losses on the Japanese.
    Later on January 25, both the 192nd and 194th held a defensive line on the Bakanga-Cardre-BaniBani Roads until the withdraw was completed at midnight.  They held the position until the night of January 26/27, when they dropped back to a new defensive line roughly along the Pilar-Bagac Roads.  When ordered to withdraw to the new line, the 192nd found that the bridge at Balanga, that they were suppose to use had been destroyed by enemy fire.  To withdraw, they had to use secondary roads to get around the barrio and tanks were still straggling in at noon.
    The tank battalions, on January 28, were given the job of protecting the beaches.  The 192nd was assigned the coast line from Paden Point to Limay along Bataan's east coast, while the battalion's half-tracks were used to patrol the roads.  The Japanese later admitted that the tanks guarding the beaches prevented them from attempting landings.
    Companies A & C were ordered to the west coast of Bataan while B Company - which was held in reserve - and 17th Ordnance held the southern shore of Bataan.  The tankers were awake all night and attempted to sleep under the jungle canopy, during the day, which protected them from being spotted by Japanese reconnaissance planes.  During the night, they were kept busy with repeated threats both on and off shore.
    On one occasion, a member of the company, who had gotten frustrated by being awakened by the planes, had his half-track pulled out onto the beach and took pot shots at the plane.  He missed the plane, but twenty minutes later, Japanese planes appeared over the location and dropped bombs that exploded in the tree tops.  Three members of the company were killed.
    The tank battalions, on their own, took up the job of protecting the airfields at Cabcaban, Bataan, and Mariveles, since Japanese paratroopers were known to be available.  The tanks and half-tracks were well hidden in the jungle around the airfields and different plans were in place to be used against Japanese forces.  There was only one major alert in March when 73 Japanese planes came over.
    B Company also took part in the Battle of the Pockets to wipe out Japanese soldiers who had been trapped behind the main defensive line.  The tanks would enter the pocket one at a time to replace a tank in the pocket.  Another tank did not enter the pocket until a tank exited the pocket.  Doing this was so stressful that the tank companies were pulled out and replaced by one that was being held in reserve.
    To exterminate the Japanese, two methods were used.  The first was to have three Filipino soldiers ride on the back of the tank.  As the tank went over a Japanese foxhole, the Filipinos dropped three hand grenades into the foxhole.  Since the grenades were from WWI, one out of three usually exploded.
    The other method to use to kill the Japanese was to park a tank with one track over the foxhole.  The driver gave the other track power resulting with the tank spinning around and grinding its way down into the foxhole.  The tankers slept upwind of their tanks.

    During the Battle of the Pockets, Zenon came to the aid of the tank crew of Lt. Ed Winger.   Zenon's best friend, Cpl. John Massimino, was in the driver of the tank and shouted at Zenon, over the radio, that they needed his help.  The tankers had knocked out a number of Japanese positions including destroying the flamethrower. 
    As Lt. Winger's tank approached another Japanese position, it was fired upon by Japanese flamethrowers.  The crew was blinded and their tank ended up wedged between two trees.  The tank was abandoned by it's crew. 
    Zenon had his tank pull up behind the trapped tank. He dismounted his tank and dragged the towing cables from the bow of his tank to the rear of Lt. Winger's tank.  The Japanese managed to shoot the cable away from the hook, so Zenon had to run around to the rear of his tank and set the cable to make the rescue. 
    Zenon efforts saved Winger's crew.  In the process of rescuing the tank crew, Zenon's tank had destroyed a .57 mm Japanese gun and a flamethrower.  Zenon, himself, would be wounded before Bataan was surrendered.
    In March, the amount of gasoline was reduced to 15 gallons a day for all vehicles except the tanks.  This would later be dropped to ten gallons a day.  At the same time, food rations were cut in half again.  Also at this time, Gen. Weaver suggested to Gen. Wainwright that a platoon of tanks be sent to Corregidor.
    The Japanese lunched an all out attack on April 3.  On April 7, the 57th Infantry, Philippine Scouts, supported by tanks, attempted to restore the line, but Japanese infiltrators prevented this from happening.  During this action, one tank was knocked out but the remaining tanks successfully withdrew.  C Company, 194th, which was attached to the 192nd, had only seven tanks left.
    The tanks became a favorite target of the Japanese receiving fire on trails and while hidden in the jungle. and could not fight back.  The situation was so bad that other troops avoided being near the tanks, and the 26th Cavalry turned down a tank company's offer of assistance in a counter-attack.

    On April 8, after receiving word that the forces on Bataan would be surrendered the next day, Zenon led his tanks to the coast of Bataan in an attempt to escape to Corregidor.  When he was told that there was no room for him or his men on the barge, Zenon re-positioned his Tommy-gun to make it understood that he intended to make the trip.  After abandoning his tanks, Zenon and his men made the trip to Corregidor.

    On Corregidor, Zenon was assigned to the D Company of the 4th Marines.  He recalled being bombed and shelled daily and was wounded while eating a meal.  When the final assault on the island took place, Zenon was bayoneted, in his thigh, when the Japanese overran his position.   He would later receive the Bronze Star, a Silver Star, and three Purple Hearts.

    Probably the strangest experience during the attack was Zenon was having to fire on his own tank which was now being used by the Japanese.  His former tank was the first tank to land on Corregidor.  Not disabling the tank was a regret that Zenon had his entire life. 

    On May 10, 1942,  Zenon became a Prisoner of War and remained on Corregidor for two weeks before being taken by barge to a point off of Luzon.  The POWs swan to shore and were organized into a formation before being march down Dewey Boulevard to Bilibid Prison  As a POW, Zenon was first held at Cabanatuan #3 and left the camp to go out on a work detail.  The POWs built runways and built bridges.  When the detail ended, he was next sent to Cabanatuan #1.  There he was reunited with other members of Company B.  As a POW, Zenon worked as a woodcutter and a cook.  At some point, Zenon was put into the camp hospital because he was suffering from malaria and dysentery.  He was discharged from the hospital on February 1, 1943.  Other records kept by the hospital staff indicate Zenon was readmitted on March 22, 1943, but no illness or date of discharge were given.

    During his time as a POW, Zenon was punished for violating a camp rule.  He was made to stand in the sun until he passed out.  He was then kicked in his ribs and stomach and hit with rifle butts. 

    He was next sent to Bilibid Prison where he was reunited with Tec 4 Frank Goldstein and Sgt. James Griffin.  It was there that Frank Goldstein would save Zenon's life by giving him vitamin pills.  Sometime in July, Zenon's name appeared on a list of POWs being sent to Japan.

    On July 17 at 8:00 A.M., the POWs walked to Pier 7.  They were boarded onto the Nissyo Maru.  The Japanese attempted to put the entire POW detachment in the forward hold but failed, so 600 of the POWs were put into the read hold.  The ship remained outside the breakwater from July 18 until July 23 while the Japanese attempted to form a convoy.  The POWs were fed rice and vegetables, which were cooked together, were fed to the prisoners.  They also received two canteen cups of water. 
    The ship sailed on July 23 at 8:00 A.M. to Corregidor and dropped anchor off the island at 2:00 P.M.  It remained off the island overnight and sailed at 8:00 A.M. the next day.  The ship sailed north by northeast as part of a convoy.  On July 26 at 3:00 in the morning, there was a large fire off the ship.  It turned out that the one of the ships, the Otari Yama Maru had been hit by a torpedo from the U.S.S. Flasher which was a part of a three submarine wolf pack.  On July 28, the ship arrived at Takao, Formosa, and docked at 9:00 A.M.   The ship sailed at 7:00 P.M. and continued its northward trip all day and night of July 29.  On July 30, the ship ran into a storm.  The storm finally passed by August 2.  The POWs were issued clothing on August 3 and arrived at Moji on August 4 at midnight. 
    At 8:00 in the morning, the POWs disembarked the ship. They were taken to a theater and were held in it all day.  They were than taken to the train station.  The train left at 9:00 P.M. and arrived at the camp at 2:00 A.M., they were unloaded and walked the three miles to the camp.

    In Japan, he was sent to Fukuoka #23, outside of Moji, which was located outside of Hiroshima.  The camp consisted of a mess hall, a hospital, six unheated barracks located on top of a hill with a ten foot high wooden fence around it. In the barracks, the POWs slept in 15 X 15 foot bays.  Six POWs shared a bay.  At 6:00 A.M., 6:00 P.M., and 9:00 P.M. the Japanese took row call.  For the first two weeks in the camp, the POWs learned the Japanese words for mining equipment. 
    The POWs received their jobs from the camp commandant who spoke adequate English. 
There, he again worked as a cook, but he also sent into the coal mine to mine coal.  One day while he was outside,  he heard a roar and felt a shock wave.  Unknown to him, the atomic bomb had been dropped on Nagasaki and he was experiencing the shock wave. 
    In 1945, things got worse in the camp because the Japanese were losing the war. 
On August 15 they learned the war was over.  The POWs did not believe it.  The next day the camp commandant, at 9:00 A.M., informed the POWs that the war was over.  He also told them that they had to stay in the camp.  On August 24, the Japanese gave the POWs paint and canvas and told them to paint "POW." on the canvas and put it on the barracks roofs.
   On August 28, B-29s appeared over the camp. Two of the planes circled and dropped fifty gallon drums to the POWs.  For the first time, the POWs knew they were now in charge.  Zenon decided that he was going to find the Americans on his own.  He left the camp and made his way to Nagasaki and made his way through the rubble of the city. 
Outside of the city, he met up with the 1st U. S. Cavalry on September 25, 1945.

   Zenon returned to the United States on the U.S.S. General R. L. Howze arriving at San Francisco on October 16, 1945.  He returned home and was discharged, from the army, on April 12, 1946.  He married, Raye Bandanish, and raised a family.  In 1946, a few months after being discharged, he attempted but failed to qualify to race in the Indianapolis 500.  The photo at the top of the page was taken during the qualifying runs.

    Bud would own a series of used car dealerships, race opened wheel cars, and become an oil distributor.  He also served as a director of the Civil Defense and on the county board.  In July 1977, he moved from Gary to Benton, Texas, where he worked for the Veterans Administration.

    Zenon Bardowski passed away on April 19, 2000, in Benton, Texas.  His ashes were interred at Arlington National Cemetery, Virginia.


Return to B Company