Pvt. Lucian F. Yankey

    Pvt. Lucian F. Yankey was born on January 3, 1914, in Boyle County, Kentucky, to John Yankey and Martha Lula Roney-Yankey.   His mother died the day after she gave birth to him.  He had three sisters and one brother.  Being unable to care for him, his father gave him to his grandmother, Annie Roney, so she could care for him.  His father passed away in 1923. 
    Lucian grew up in the Fourmile and Lone Jack area, and later resided in Perryville, Kentucky.  He left school after the eighth grade and later worked as a truck driver.  He was working as an ambulance driver when the draft act was enacted. 
    In 1940, knowing it was just a matter of time before he would be drafted, he joined the Kentucky National Guard's tank company in Harrodsburg to fulfill his one year of military service.  The company had received notice in September 1940 that it was being federalized as D Company, 192nd Tank Battalion.
    On November 25, 1940, the company reported to Fort Knox, Kentucky, for what was suppose to be one year of military service.  What training he received during this time is not known, but it is known that the battalion members did attend various armor schools.
    In the late summer of 1941, the tank battalion was sent to Camp Polk, Louisiana, to take part in maneuvers.  HQ company did not actively take part in the maneuvers but made sure the letter companies had the supplies they needed.  It was after the maneuvers that the battalion was ordered to remain behind at Camp Polk instead of returning to Ft. Knox.  None of the soldiers had any idea why they were remaining at the base.
    On the side of a hill, the battalion was informed that their time in the Army had been extended from one to five years.  They also learned they were being sent overseas as part of Operation PLUM.  Within hours, most had figured out that PLUM stood for Philippines, Luzon, Manila.  Men 29 years old or older were given the opportunity to resign from military service.
    Traveling west over different train routes, the battalion arrived in San Francisco and ferried to Angel Island.  On the island, the tankers were immunized and given physicals.  Men found to have treatable medical conditions were held back and scheduled to rejoin the battalion at a later date.
    The battalion sailed, on the U.S.A.T Hugh L. Scott, from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  They arrived in Hawaii on Sunday, November 2nd, and had a layover.  The soldiers received passes and allowed to explore the islands.  They sailed again on Tuesday, November 4th, for Guam.  When the ships arrived at Guam, they took on bananas, vegetables, coconuts, and water.  The soldiers remained on ship since the convoy was sailing the next day. About 8:00 in the morning on November 20th, the ships arrived at Manila Bay.  After arriving at Manila, it was three or four hours before they disembarked.  Most of the battalion boarded trucks and rode to Ft. Stotsenburg north of Manila.
    At the fort, the tankers were met by General Edward King.  King welcomed them and made sure that they had what they needed.  He also was apologetic that there were no barracks for the tankers and that they had to love in tents.  The fact was he had not learned of their arrival until days before they arrived.
    For the next seventeen days the tankers spent much of their time removing cosmoline from their weapons.  They also spent a large amount of time loading ammunition belts.  The plan was for them, with the 194th Tank Battalion, to take part in maneuvers.
    The morning of December 8th, the tankers were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field to guard against Japanese paratroopers.  During the night, word had been received about the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor.  HQ Company remained behind in the battalion's bivouac.
    All morning long, American planes filled the sky.  At noon, every plane landed and the pilots went to lunch.  At 12:45, 54 planes approached the airfield from the north.  The tankers believed the planes were American until what they described as "raindrops" appeared to fall from the planes.  When bombs began exploding around them, the tankers knew the planes were Japanese.  The members of HQ Company could do little more than watch the attack and seek shelters since they had no weapons to be used against planes.
    For the next four months, HQ Company worked to keep the tank companies operational.  The morning of April 9, 1942, Capt. Fred Bruni, commander of HQ Company, informed his men of the surrender.  Bruni somehow came up with enough food for the men to have what he called, "Their last supper."  The meal consisted of bread and pineapple.  Bruni told his men that from this point on it was each man for himself.  Most of the company remained in their bivouac for two days while others attempted to escape to Corregidor.

    The first contact HQ Company had with the Japanese was when Japanese officers entered their bivouac.  They ordered the Americans to go to the road that ran past their encampment.  Once on the road, they were made to kneel on both sides of the road.  As they knelt, the Japanese soldiers passing them took whatever they wanted from the Americans.
    When the soldiers were ordered to move, they boarded trucks and drove to Mariveles. They were stopped outside the barrio and f
rom there, they walked to Mariveles Airfield and sat and waited.  As they sat, the POWs noticed a line of Japanese soldiers forming across from them.  They soon realized that this was a firing squad and the Japanese were going to kill them.      
Sitting, watching, and waiting the POWs wondered what the Japanese intended to do.  It was at that time that a Japanese officer pulled up in a car in front of the Japanese soldiers.  He got out of the car and spoke to the sergeant in charge of the detail.  The officer got back in the car and drove off.  The Japanese sergeant ordered the soldiers to lower their guns.  
    Later in the day, Grover's group of POWs was moved to a school yard in Mariveles. The POWs were left sitting in the sun for hours.  The Japanese did not feed them or give them water.  Behind the POWs were four Japanese artillery pieces which began firing on Corregidor and Ft. Drum.  These two islands had not surrendered.  Shells from these two American forts began landing among the POWs.  The POWs could do little since they had no place to hide.  Some POWs were killed by incoming American shells.  One group that tried to hide in a small brick building died when it took a direct hit.  The American guns did succeed in knocking out three of the four Japanese guns.  

    The POWs were ordered to move again by the Japanese.  The men had no idea that they had started what became known as the death march.  During the march, the POWs received no water and little food.  It took the members of HQ Company six days to reach San Fernando.  Once there, the POWs were put into a bull pin that had a fence around it.  In one corner was a slit trench to be used as a toilet by the POWs.  The surface of the trench moved since it was covered in maggots.  The POWs had enough room to sit, but they could not lie down.  

    During their time in the bull pin, the POWs watched the Japanese bury three POWs.  Two were still alive.  When one of the men attempted to climb out of the grave, he was hit in the head with a shovel and buried.  At some point, the Japanese ordered the men to form ranks.  They were marched in detachments of 100 men to the train station.  

    At the train station, the POWs were put into a small wooden boxcar and taken to Capas.  The cars were known as "forty and eights" because they could hold forty men or eight horses.  The Japanese packed 100 men into each car.  Those who died remained standing until the living climbed out of the car.  From Capas, Grover the last ten miles to Camp O' Donnell.

    Camp O'Donnell was an unfinished Filipino training base that the Japanese pressed into service as a Prisoner of War camp.  It turned out to be a death trap with as many as fifty POWs dying each day.  There was only one working water faucet for the entire camp.  To get a drink, men stood in line for days.  Many died while waiting for a drink.  The death rate among the POWs was as high as fifty men a day.  Many POWs went out on work details to get out of the camp.  

    The dead, at Camp O'Donnell, were taken to the camp cemetery and buried in shallow graves.  The reason for this was that the water table was high and the POWs could not dig deep.  Once a body was put in the ground, it was held down with a pole until it was covered by earth.  The next day, the POWs, on the detail, found wild dogs had dug up the bodies or the bodies were sitting up in the graves.  
    To get out of the camp, Yankey volunteered to go out on a work detail - to Tarlec Provence - which left the camp in early June 1942.  About 100 POWs went to the Barrio of Carangian, Talec Provence to rebuild a bridge that had been destroyed by a massive flood on the Tarlec River.
    The POWs were housed in a small house in Carangain which did not have room for 100 men. The Japanese did not issue the POWs blankets and some had to sleep on the floor.  One of the few good things about the detail is that the POWs had enough clean drinking water.
    The POWs worked side by side with Filipino civilians which was another good things about the detail since it allowed the Filipinos to smuggle cigarettes, food, and medicines to the POWs.  When the Japanese caught a Filipino doing this, the person was beaten.
    The Japanese commanding officer on the detail was Capt. Yukesaki who was later tried for war crimes.  The POWs were required to work even if they were sick or weak from disease and were beaten with sticks, other objects, and fists for not working hard enough.  Ironically, the POWs felt their treatment on the detail was better than the treatment they received on other details.
  The detail ended in early August, and Lucian was sent to Bilibid Prison near Manila.

    Not very long after arriving at Bilibid, he and other POWs were marched to the Port Area of Manila and boarded onto the Nagara Maru.  The ship sailed on August 12, 1942, and arrived at Takao, Formosa, on August 14th. Lucian and other POWs were boarded onto the Suzuya Maru which sailed late on August 16th and arrived at Keelung, Formosa on August 17th. 
    Lucian remained on Formosa for over two years. During his time on the island, he was first held at Karenko Camp.  The POWs worked on a farm and herded sheep.  The food they grew went to the Japanese.  In June 1943, he was transferred to Shirakawa.  Once again, the POWs were expected to farm.  They also were expected to raise cattle.  Most, if not all, of the food was consumed by the Japanese.

    While Lucian was a POW at Shirakawa, he wrote a letter to his grandmother.  In it he said,

     "Dear Mama,
          I am in good health and hope you all are as good.  Tell all my friends 'Hello' and take care of yourself. 
         When I return, I will see that you are made happy and comfortable.  I am hoping and praying to return to
         you soon, so don't worry, Mother dea, and take care of yourself, and we will be together again as I am being
         well taken care of.

                                                                                                                   Lucian Yankey

                                                                                                                   Pvt. U.S. Army"

    Yankey also made a radio broadcast that was picked up in a shortwave radio broadcast by a radio operator in Dayton, Ohio.  On the broadcast he said,

"Hello mother, getting along fine and happy.  Am being treated O.K.  How is everything at home.  Love, your son."

    In 1945, Lucian was taken by a series of inter-island steamers to Fusan, Korea.  From there, he was transported to Mukden, Manchuria, where he remained to the end of the war by the Russian Army.  He was sent to Darien. China and returned to the Philippine Islands.  After receiving medical treatment and being fatten up, Lucian returned to the United States on the U.S.S. Joseph T. Dychman, arriving on October 16, 1945, at San Francisco.  He returned to Perryville, Kentucky.
     Lucian never married and lived with his grandmother.  He was in and out of the hospital after the war suffering from the effects of being a POW.  He also had a problem with drinking.  Lucian Yankey passed away on May 28, 1967, in Perryville and was buried in Hillcrest Cemetery.


Return to D Company