William F. Nolan
Sgt. William F. Nolan was born September 3, 1923, in
Wisconsin, to William A. Nolan & Margaret
Vail-Nolan and was the oldest of the couple's two
sons. The family resided at 403 South Franklin
Street in Janesville, Wisconsin. Sometime
during the 1930s, his mother died leaving his father
to raise two sons. William left school, after
his second year of high school, and worked as a
cabinet maker. He also enlisted, with his
father's permission, in the Wisconsin National
In September 1940, the National Guard unit was federalized and re-designated as A Company, 192nd Tank Battalion. On November 25th, the company readied itself for training at Fort Knox, Kentucky. The company boarded the train for Ft. Knox on November 28th. William was seventeen years old.
When the tankers arrived at Ft. Knox, they learned that their barracks were not finished. The area of the fort that they were assigned to was brand new, and they found themselves living in tents with stoves in them. They remained in the tents several months. When they did move into their barracks, the roads in front of them were mud since the winter was extremely wet.
William, like all the other members of the battalion, learned to operate all the equipment of the battalion. It is not known what he trained to do with the company. In January 1941, William was transferred to Headquarters Company when the company was formed in January 1941.
In late August, the battalion was informed it would take part in maneuvers in Louisiana. During the maneuvers the battalion performed exceptionally well. After the maneuvers, instead of returning to Ft. Knox, the battalion was ordered to Camp Polk, Louisiana. None of the members had any idea why they were being kept there.
On the side of a hill, the battalion members were informed that they were being sent overseas. They were told that this decision had been made by General George Patton. Those members of the battalion who were married, or 29 years old or older, were given the opportunity to resign from federal service. Many of the men received leaves home to say their goodbyes to family and friends.
The battalion traveled by train to San Francisco California, and were ferried to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island. On the island, they received inoculations and physicals. Those members of the battalion who were found to have treatable medical conditions remained behind on the island and scheduled to join the battalion at a later date. Other men were simply replaced.
The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.S Hugh L. Scott and sailed from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th, as part of a three ship convoy which arrived at Honolulu, Hawaii, on Sunday, November 2nd. Since the ships had a two day layover, the soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island. On Wednesday, November 5th, the ships sailed for Guam but took a southerly route away from the main shipping lanes. During this part of the voyage, smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon. The cruiser that was escorting the two transports revved its engines, its bow came out of the water, and it took off in the direction of the smoke. It turned out that the unknown ship was from a friendly country.
Arriving at Guam on Sunday, November 16th, the ships took on bananas, vegetables, coconuts, and water before sailing for Manila the next day. At one point, the ships passed an island at night. While they passed the island, they did so in total blackout. This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they would soon be at war. When they arrived at Guam, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables. The ships entered Manila Bay on Thursday, November 20th at 8:00 A.M. They docked at Pier 7 later in the day, and the soldiers disembarked about 3:00 that afternoon and were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg. Those assigned to trucks drove them to the base, while the maintenance section of the battalion remained behind and unloaded the tanks.
At the fort, they were greeted by Colonel Edward King, who apologized that the men had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Field, but the fact was that he had not learned of their arrival until just days before their ship docked. He made sure that they all received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own dinner.
For the next seventeen days the tankers worked to remove cosmoline from their weapons. The grease was put on the weapons to protect them from rust while at sea. They also loaded ammunition belts and did tank maintenance.
On Monday, December 1st, the tanks were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field to guard against paratroopers. The 194th Tank Battalion guarded the northern half of the airfield, while the 192nd guarded the southern half. At all times, two members of every tank and half-track crew remained with their vehicles. Meals were brought to them by food trucks.
At six in the morning on December 8th, the officers of the battalion were called to the radio room at the fort. They were ordered to bring their tank platoons up to full strength at the perimeter of airfield. All morning the sky was filled with American planes. At noon, the planes landed to be refueled and the pilots went to lunch. At 12:45, the tankers were having lunch and watched as 54 planes approached the airfield from the north. As they watched, the saw "raindrops" falling from the planes. When bombs began exploding, the soldiers knew the planes were Japanese.
The evening of April 8, 1942, Capt. Fred Bruni, HQ's commanding officer, gave his men the news of the surrender. While informing the members of the company of the surrender, he waved his arm toward the tanks and told the men that they would no longer need them. As he spoke, his voice choked. He turned away from the men for a moment, and when he turned back he continued. He next told the sergeants what they should do to disable the tanks. During the announcement, Bruni emphasized that they all were to surrender together. He told the soldiers to destroy their weapons and any supplies that could be used by the Japanese. The only thing they were told not to destroy were the company's trucks. The men waited in their bivouac until ordered to move. Somehow, Bruni had found enough bread and pineapple juice for what he called, "Their last supper."
On April 11th, the first Japanese soldiers appeared at HQ company's encampment. Donald was now a Prisoner of War. A Japanese officer ordered the company, with their possessions, out onto the road that ran in front of their encampment. Once on the road, the soldiers were ordered to kneel along the sides of the road with their possessions in front of them. As they knelt, the Japanese soldiers, who were passing them, went through their possessions and took whatever they wanted from the Americans. They remained along the sides of the road for hours.
HQ Company finally boarded trucks and drove to just outside of Mariveles. From there, they walked to Mariveles Airfield and ordered to sit. As they sat, the POWs noticed a line of Japanese soldiers forming across from them. They soon realized that this was a firing squad and the Japanese were going to kill them.
As they prepared to die, a car pulled up and a Japanese officer got out of the car and spoke to the sergeant in charge of the detail. After talking to the sergeant, he got back in the car and drove off. The sergeant ordered the soldiers to lower their guns.
Later in the day, the POWs were order to move and taken to a school yard in Mariveles and ordered to sit. Behind them were Japanese artillery pieces. The guns were firing on Corregidor and Ft. Drum. When the two American strongholds began returning fire, the prisoners found themselves in the line of fire and shells began landing around them. Five POWs who hid in an old brick building were killed when it took a direct hit. When the barrage ended, three if the four Japanese guns had been destroyed.
It was from this school yard that the POWs began the death march. The first five miles of the march was uphill. They made their way north from Mariveles to San Fernando. During the march men who had fell were shot and bayoneted where they fell.
The POWs made their way north from Mariveles. The first five miles of the march were uphill. At one point, the members of the company had to run past Japanese artillery firing on Corregidor. They received little water and little food. When they reached San Fernando, they were put into a bull pen. In one corner of the bull pen was a trench that the POWs were suppose to use as a washroom; the surface of the trench was alive with maggots. How long they remained in the bull pen is not known.
The Japanese ordered the POWs to form ranks, and they were marched to the train station and packed into small wooden boxcars used to haul sugarcane. The cars were known as "Forty or Eights," and could hold forty men or eight horses. The Japanese packed 100 POWs into each car and closed the doors. Those who died remained standing since there was no place for them to fall. At Capas, the living left the cars and the dead fell to the floors. They walked the last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell.
Camp O'Donnell was an unfinished Filipino training base that the Japanese put into use as a POW camp. There was one water faucet for the entire camp, and men literally died for a drink. The death rate in the camp began to rise until as many as 55 men dying each day with the burial detail working non-stop to bury the dead. Often, when they returned the next morning, the wild dogs had dug up the bodies or the bodies were sitting up in their graves.
The Japanese realized that they had to do something to lower the rate of death among the POWs, so they opened a new POW camp at Cabanatuan. William went directly to the new camp when it opened. Medical records from the camp indicate that William was hospitalized on July 15, 1942. According to the records, he had "ascaris lumbricoides" which meant that he had round worms. This was a result of the unsanitary conditions in the camp. The records do not show when he was released from the hospital.
It is known that William was selected to go out on what was referred to as the "Army Air Detail." How long he was on the detail is not known. What is known is that he was sent to the hospital ward at Bilibid Prison and admitted on July 11, 1944, with malaria. He was discharged on July 15th, and sent to a detachment of POWs being sent to Japan.
The POWs were marched, from Bilibid, to the Port Area of Manila, boarded the ship, and put into the holds of the Nissyo Maru. The ship was boarded on July 17th and moved into the harbor the same day and dropped anchor. It sat in the harbor for a week. Inside the holds, the haul of the ship became hot from the sun raising the temperature inside the hold to over 100 degrees.
On July 24th, the ship sailed as part of a convoy. On the 26th, the ships were attacked by three American submarines. There was a huge explosion and the POWs could see the flames shoot over the hatch since the hold was not covered. The ship arrived at Takao, Formosa, on July 27th. After an overnight stay, the ship sailed the next day arriving at Moji, Japan, on August 3rd. The POWs were disembarked on a pier. They were later formed into detachments and marched to the train station.
The POWs were disembarked and seperated into detachments. The POW detachment William was in was taken to Osaka Main Camp where they were used as stevedores on the docks. The POWs lived in two one story barracks that were 72 feet long by 33 feet wide and slept in triple deck bunks. There was a 30 foot by 24 foot two story building that was used as the camp hospital on the first floor and POW quarters on the second floor. Another building, which was 64 feet long by 30 feet wide housed POWs on its second floor.
William remained in the camp until it was destroyed in a bombing. On June 2, 1945, the POWs were transferred to Tsumori Camp. They remained there for eight days and transferred again to 7 Nishino Sho-machi and remained in this camp until he was liberated at the end of the war.
After being liberated, William was returned to the Philippines for medical treatment. He returned to the United States arriving at San Francisco, on the U.S.S. Yarmouth, on October 8, 1945. He returned to Janesville and reenlisted on March 26, 1946, at Ft. Sheridan, Illinois. William married, Lillian, and was the father of a daughter. He was discharged, from the Army, on April 30, 1954, but reenlisted the next day. He remained in the Army reaching the rank of Chief Warrant Officer and finally retired on September 30, 1961.
William resided in Wolcott, Connecticut, and later Spring Hill, Florida. He died on November 23, 1989, in Spring Hill and was buried in Section 110, Site 225, at Florida National Cemetery in Bushnell, Florida.