Major Havelock David Nelson

    Major Havelock D. Nelson was born in March 27, 1898, to Horatio H. Nelson & Nora B. Brewer-Nelson in Canton, Ohio.  With his two sisters and two brothers, he grew up in Canton and Springfield, Ohio.  He attended Wittenberg College and the University of Cincinnati for his masters degree.  While there, he played football.  He was known as "Harvey" to his family and friends.

    Nelson joined the U. S. Marine Corps, as an enlisted man, on June 16, 1917, in Cincinnati, Ohio, and was sent to France where he was a member of 97th Company, 3rd Battalion, 6th Marine Regiment.  He took part in battles from May, 1918, until Germany surrendered on November 11, 1918.  He returned to the United States and was discharged on August 13, 1919. 

   On December 1, 1925, Nelson joined the Ohio National Guard.  He also married to Kathleen Bouchette-Jones on May 25, 1927, and they became the parents of two children; Kate and Leslie.  To support his family, he worked as a investment analyst at Fifth/Third Union Trust Bank. 
    In the National Guard, Nelson rose through the ranks from private to first sergeant and resigned as an enlisted man on February 29, 1928, and commissioned a second lieutenant on March 1, 1928. 
While in the National Guard, he was a member of Third Squadron, 107th Cavalry which was a mechanized cavalry unit.  He was promoted to first lieutenant on April 4, 1929, and made captain on October 20, 1939.  At that time, he was made commanding officer of Troop B, 22nd Cavalry Division.  On March 1, 1940, he was sent to Cavalry School at Fort Riley, Kansas, and instructed in the handling of horses and mechanized weapons for three months.   

    Nelson entered federal service in the U. S. Army on February 7, 1941, and was assigned to HQ Company, 192nd Tank Battalion, as the company's commanding officer.  After training for nearly a year, the battalion was sent to Louisiana, during the late summer of 1941, to take part in maneuvers.  It was after these maneuvers, at Camp Polk, that the battalion learned they were being sent overseas.   It was at this time that Nelson became the battalion's executive officer.

    In late October 1941, Nelson left the United States from Angel Island in San Francisco Bay.  The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.S Hugh L. Scott and sailed from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th, for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  They arrived at Honolulu on Sunday, November 2nd.  The soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island.  On Tuesday, November 4th, the ships sailed for Guam.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night.  While they passed the island, they did so in total blackout.  On another occasion, the heavy cruiser that was escorting the other two ships, took off when smoke from an unknown ship was seen on the horizon.  According to the soldiers, the bow of the ship came out of the water as the ship's engines revved up  It turned out the unknown ship belonged to a neutral country.  These events, for many of the soldiers, were signs that they were being sent into harm's way. 
    When the ships arrived at Guam on Sunday, November 16th, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables.  The could not go ashore since the ships sailed the next day for Manila and entered Manila Bay on Thursday morning, November 20th.  They docked at Pier 7 and the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg. 

    During the trip to the Philippines, Nelson was made the battalion's executive officer.  
He was also promoted to major on November 1, 1941, and gave up his command of HQ Company.  On December 1, 1941, Major Nelson, Captains Burholt, Hanes, and Poweleit were sent north to Lingayen Gulf to do reconnaissance on the area.  Everyone knew that war was coming, they just did not know when it would come.  The four men noted that the defenses from the gulf to Damortis were excellent, but from there on, the defenses were none existent.  The men believed if the Japanese landed in the area, that they could make their way around the defenses and attack from behind.  None of this information was taken seriously higher up in the military organization.

    Maj. Nelson lived through the bombing of Clark Airfield on December 8, 1941.  At first, the Americans believed that the planes were coming to reinforce them.  It was when the bombs began exploding that the soldiers knew the planes were Japanese.  Cecil VanDiver, a cook with D Company, wanted to see what was going on, so he stood up.  As he stood there watching, the trees around him began exploding and showering him with red wood.  Nelson, seeing VanDiver, ordered him to take cover.  VanDiver later said that Nelson most likely saved his life.

    When Bataan was surrendered, Maj. Nelson became a Prisoner Of War and took part in the death march.  Grover Brummett stated that during the march, Nelson constantly encouraged the other members of the 192nd to keep going.  According to Brummett, Nelson made his way among the men and talked to them to keep their spirits up.  He told them that he knew that they could make it.   At some point on the march, Nelson was weak enough to require help from other members of the 192nd.  One of the members of the battalion to help him was Joe Lajzer of B Company. According to Lt. Leroy Scoville, A Company, in a roster of the 192nd that he kept as a POW,  Nelson was so weak that he thought that he had died on the march.  

    Nelson and the other POWs were held at Mariveles for one day before being loaded onto small wooden boxcars.  The cars had room for forty men or eight horses.  The Japanese crammed 100 men into each car and closed the doors.  As the prisoners disembarked the cars at Capas, those who had died in the cars fell to the floors.  At Capas, Japanese soldiers were offering the POWs Japanese money so the POWs could buy food.  By this time, the POWs knew this was a trick and that American caught with the money would be killed.

    After leaving the boxcars, the POWs had to walk approximately ten miles to Camp O'Donnell.  According to letters kept by Major John Morley, Nelson fell and could not get up.  He was kicked in his stomach and hit in his head by a Japanese guard.  When Nelson would not get up, the guard determined he was to exhausted to continue, and he was allowed to lay on the ground until he could continue the march.

    Morley and Capt. Malcolm Fowler, 26th Cavalry, Philippine Scouts, carried Nelson the rest of the way to Camp O'Donnell.  Arriving at the camp. the two men placed Nelson under a hut with his field bag.  It was the last time John ever saw Nelson. 

    According to the research done by his family, there are two versions of what happened to Nelson.  In the first version when the POWs arrived at Camp O'Donnell, they were ordered to form ranks and were searched once again.  Any prisoner found with an item that was Japanese was ordered to go to another area and create ranks there.  During the search, Nelson was found to be carrying a Japanese coin and sent to the second formation.  The POWs sent to this formation were later shot and buried in the camp cemetery. At this point, there are various versions of what happened.

    It should be noted that Lt. Jack Merrifield was present when Nelson reached Camp O'Donnell.  According to Merrifield, the Japanese went through Nelson's baggage and found a Japanese battle flag.  This fact was confirmed by Capt. Alvin Poweleit.

      The Japanese executed any American found with Japanese "war prizes." According to Capt. Alvin Poweleit, the 192nd's chief medical officer,  Nelson, with three other men, was shot.  After being shot several times, Nelson did not die.  Poweleit reported that the Japanese buried him, but that he crawled out of the grave.  He was helped by friendly Filipinos and turned over to guerrillas.  He spent nineteen months with the guerrillas before coming down with dysentery and dying.
     This story seemed to be confirmed by information from the family which states that the Americans found with anything Japanese were made to stand in front of a grave on June 15, 1942.  An American colonel is said to have said, "Oh God, they can't this horrible thing!"  As a last order he told the men, "Men. Die like Americans!"  The Japanese sprayed the group with bullets and the men fell into the grave.   Nelson fell into the grave but was still alive.  When he regained consciousness, he found himself pinned down by the dead.  A Filipino, who also survived, worked with Nelson and the men freed themselves.  The two men escaped into the jungle where they met up with guerrillas.

    According to the report written by Brigadier General  James Weaver, after being shot, Nelson and the bodies of the other men were taken to the camp's cemetery and put in a grave.  Since it was raining, the Japanese made the decision not to cover the bodies with dirt.

    After the Japanese had left the cemetery, Nelson revived, crawled from the grave, and made it into the jungle where he was found by American guerrillas.  The commanding officer of the guerrillas was Lt. James Hart of the 194th Tank Battalion. 

    In the second story, Grover Brummett, HQ Company, 192nd, stated that upon reaching Camp O'Donnell, Nelson collapsed.  Brummett believed Nelson had died of a heart attack and was taken to the camp cemetery where, as it turned out, he was buried alive in a slit trench.  In this version, Nelson and another POW escaped and went into the mountains.  During this time, he was cared for by a Mr. Ocampo.

    Nelson's daughter, Kate, would travel to the Philippines after the war and meet the man who cared for her father.  After almost two months of suffering,  Maj. Havelock D. Nelson died from his wounds on Monday, June 15, 1942.  After the war, Major Havelock Nelson was listed as a guerrilla in Zambales during the opening months of 1942.  

    Major Havelock D. Nelson was buried in Plot N, Row 18, Grave 176, at the American Military Cemetery outside of Manila.  He was posthumously awarded the Silver Star and Legion of Merit.  On June 14, 2007, an inactive American legion post was reestablished as the Havelock D. Nelson American Legion Post in West Chester, Ohio.  Although he may never had known it, he was held in high regard by his men.



Return to Headquarters Company