Pfc. Maurice E. Lustig

    Pfc. Maurice E. Lustig was born on June 13, 1920, in Janesville, Wisconsin, and was raised at 719 North Harding Street.  He was the son of Edmund and Ardena Lustig.  He attended Janesville schools and was a member of the 1939 graduating class of Janesville High School.  He was known as "Morris" to his family and friends.

    As a child, Maurice did many odd jobs to help support his family.  He later joined the Wisconsin National Guard's 107th Quartermaster Regiment, Company B, to help support his family.

    On October 18, 1940, Maurice's company was federalized and sent to Camp Beauregard for training.  During the late summer of 1941, Maurice was sent to Louisiana to take part in Louisiana maneuvers.

    After the maneuvers at Camp Polk, Louisiana, Maurice was convinced by members of A Company, 192nd Tank Battalion, which was also from Janesville, to transfer to the company which was looking for replacements for men released from federal service.  Maurice volunteered to join A Company and was transferred to the company.

    Maurice was given a ten day furlough and went home to say his goodbyes.  At the end of his furlough, his family took him to the train station.  As he prepared to leave for Camp Polk, his little sister, Phyllis, hid behind her mother.  She did this because she didn't want him to see her cry. 

    Maurice returned to Camp Polk and helped prepare the company's equipment for shipment to the west coast.  The battalion traveled by train to San Francisco.  After arriving, they were ferried to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island.  On the island, they received inoculations and physicals.  Those members of the battalion who were found to have treatable medical conditions remained behind on the island.  They were scheduled to join the battalion at a later date.
The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.S. Hugh L. Scott and sailed from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th, for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  They arrived at Honolulu on Sunday, November 2nd.  The soldiers were given leaves so they could see the island.  On November 5th, the ships sailed for Guam.   At one point, the ships passed an island at night.  While they passed the island, they did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  When they arrived at Guam, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables.  The ships sailed the same day for Manila and entered Manila Bay on Thursday, November 20th.  They docked at Pier 7 and the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg. 
    At the fort, they were greeted by Colonel Edward King, who apologized that they had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Airfield.  He made sure that they all received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own. 
Ironically, November 20th was the date that the National Guard members of the battalion had expected to be released from federal service.
For the next seventeen days the tankers worked to remove cosmoline from their weapons.  The grease was put on the weapons to protect them from rust while at sea.  They also loaded ammunition belts and did tank maintenance as they readied their tanks to take part in maneuvers.

    The morning of December 8th, December 7th in the United States, the 192nd was ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field.  A week earlier, they had been given assigned positions around the airfield to guard against enemy paratroopers.  At 8:30, the American planes took off and filled the sky.  They landed at noon and lined up near the mess hall while the pilots went to lunch.    
    The tankers were eating lunch when a formation of 54 planes was spotted approaching the airfield from the north.  The tankers believed the planes were American. As they watched, raindrops fell from the planes.  When bombs exploded on the runways, they knew the planes were Japanese.    
    About a week after the attack, the company was sent to the Barrio of Dau so it would be close to a highway and railroad.  From there, the company was sent to join the other companies of the 192nd just south of the Agno River.  There, the tanks, with A Company, 194th held the position.

    On December 23rd and 24th, the company was in the area of Urdaneta.  It was there, that the tankers lost the company commander, Capt. Walter Write.  After he was buried, the tankers made an end run to get south of Agno River.  As they did this, they ran into Japanese resistance early in the evening. They successfully crossed at the river in the Bayambang Province.
    On December 25th, the tanks of the battalion held the southern bank of the Agno River from Carmen to Tayung, with the tanks of the 194th holding the line on the Carmen-Alcala-Bautista Road. The tanks held the position until 5:30 in the morning on December 27th.
    A Company was sent, in support of the 194th, to an area east of Pampanga.  It was there that they lost a tank platoon commander, Lt. William Reed.  The company returned to the 192nd on January 8, 1942.
    On January 28th, the tank battalions were given the job of protecting the beaches.  The 192nd was assigned the coast line from Paden Point to Limay along Bataan's east coast.  The Japanese later admitted that the tanks guarding the beaches prevented them from attempting landings.  They also took part in the Battle of the Pockets and the Battle of the Points.       
    The pockets was an extremely dangerous operation.  When tanks were sent into a pocket, they entered one tank at a time.  The next tank would not enter until the tank that had been relieved exited the pocket. 
    To wipe out the Japanese, two methods were employed. 
One had three Filipino soldiers sitting on the back of each tank.  When the tank passed over a foxhole the soldiers each dropped a hand grenade into the foxhole.  Being that the ordnance was from WWI, one of the three hand grenades usually exploded.
    The second method was to park the tank with one tread over foxhole.  The crew would give power to the other track causing the tank to spin and dig its way into the ground.

    On April 9, 1942, Maurice became a POW when the Filipino and American defenders of Bataan were surrendered to the Japanese.  With the other members of A Company, he made his way to Mariveles.

    Maurice took part in the death march and went without food and water.  Arriving at San Fernando, Maurice and the other prisoners were crammed into small boxcars.  They were pushed in so tightly that those men who died remained standing.

    At Capas, the Prisoners Of War disembarked the boxcars.  As they did, the bodies of the dead fell out of the cars.  From Capas, Maurice walked the last few miles to Camp O'Donnell.

    The living conditions at Camp O'Donnell were poor.  There was only one water spigot for the entire camp.  To get a drink, men stood in lines for days.  It is not known if Maurice remained in the camp or went out on a work detail.

    In June, Maurice was sent to the new POW camp at Cabanatuan.  The living conditions for the POWs were better.  Medical records from the camp show that Maurice was admitted to the camp hospital on Thursday, November 12, 1942, suffering from beriberi, edema, and pellagra.  He remained in the hospital for almost three months.  He was discharged from the hospital on Monday, February 1, 1943.  It was after this that at some point - between October 1941 and January 1942 - he was assigned to a work detail at the Bachrach Garage in Manila.  The POWs on this detail repaired mechanical equipment for the Japanese.   With him on the detail were Henry and John Luther and John Burke of A Company.

    Maurice and the other POWs remained on this detail into early October, 1944.  At that time, the Japanese closed down the detail and sent the POWs to the Port Area of Manila. When Maurice's group of POWs arrived at the Port Area of Manila on October 10, 1944, they were boarded onto the Arisan Maru.  They had been scheduled to be boarded onto the Hokusan Maru, but since one of the POW groups had not arrived on time to be boarded, his group was put on their ship.  

    The POWs were crammed into the first hold of the ship.  They were packed in so tightly that they could not move.  Those who used the wooden bunks along the hull found that once they laid down, the bunks were so close together that they could not sit up in them. Five men died in the first twenty-four hours.  

    On October 10, 1944, the ship sailed but instead of heading toward Formosa it headed south to Palawan Island.  There, the ship dropped anchor in a cove.  This was done to avoid American planes.  While it was there, the Port of Manila were bombed by American planes.

    It was during this time that the POWs figured out how to turn the hold's ventilation fans by wiring them into the ship's lighting system.  Although the Japanese had removed the lights, they had not turned off the power.  For two days conditions in the hold improved because the POWs had fresh air.  When the Japanese discovered what the POWs had done, they cut the power to the hold.

    The Japanese attempted to improve the conditions in the hold by moving 800 POWs to one of the other holds.  The POWs were put in this hold on top of the coal that was already in it.

    Returning to Manila on October 21st, the Arisan Maru waited in the harbor while the Japanese formed a convoy.  During this time, the prisoners remained in the holds of the ship.  On October 23rd, the Arisan Maru joined a convoy of twelve ships bound for Formosa.  The ship proceeded toward Formosa, in the Bashi Channel, the evening of Tuesday, October 24, 1944.  

    It was almost dinner and twenty POWs were on deck cooking dinner.  According to the survivors, the Japanese ran to the bow of the ship and watched a torpedo pass in front of the ship.  A second torpedo missed the stern of the ship.  Two more torpedoes hit the ship amidships.  The ship immediately stopped in its tracks.

    The Japanese abandoned ship, but cut the rope ladders to the ship's holds before they left.  A few POWs managed to get out of the second hold and reattached the rope ladders and dropped them into the holds to the other POWs.  

    Those POWs who could swim attempted to escape the sinking ship by clinging to rafts, hold hatches, flotation belts, flotsam and jetsam.  Many of those who could not swim remained on the ship and gorged themselves with food from the ship's food locker.

    Some POWs attempted to swim to nearby Japanese destroyers. They were shot at, clubbed, or pushed away with poles or clubbed.  The destroyers pulled away leaving the Americans to fend for themselves.

    After several hours, the ship split in two.  A few hours later it sunk.  According to the survivors, the cries for help grew fainter and fainter.  Then there was silence.

    Pfc. Maurice E. Lustig died in the sinking of the Arisan Maru in the South China Sea on October 24, 1944.  Since he was lost at sea, his name appears on the Tablets of the Missing at the American Military Cemetery outside Manila.



Return to A Company