Pvt. Felix Flores

    Pvt. Felix Flores was born on November 20, 1915, in Foard County, Texas, to Luciano & Augustina Flores.  With his three sisters and brother, he grew up in Bee County, Texas.  Sometime before 1940, his father died.
    Felix was inducted into the U.S. Army on March 19, 1940, at Fort Sam Houston, Texas.  He was sent to Ft. Knox, Kentucky, for basic training.  What school he attended during basic is not known.  After basic training, he was sent to Camp Polk, Louisiana, and assigned to the 753rd Tank Battalion.  The battalion had been sent to the base but did not take part in the maneuvers that were taking place at the installation.    

    Pvt. P.Z. Eldridge was born on September 17, 1922, in Geneva County, Alabama, to Leamon E. Eldridge & Gennis Griffin-Eldridge.  With his three sisters and four brothers he lived in Slocomb, Alabama.  He worked as a farmhand.
    P.Z. was inducted into the Army on August 6, 1940, at Fort Benning, Georgia.  He did his basic training there and was assigned to the 753rd Tank Battalion.  In the late summer of 1941, the battalion was sent to Camp Polk, Louisiana, but it did not take part in the maneuvers that were going on at the camp. 

    During the maneuvers the 192nd Tank Battalion performed exceptionally well.  After the maneuvers, instead of returning to Ft. Knox, the battalion remained at Camp Polk.  None of the members had any idea why they were being kept there.  On the side of a hill, the battalion members were informed that they were being sent overseas.  They were told that this decision had been made by General George Patton.  Those members of the battalion who were 29 years old or older were given the opportunity to resign from federal service.  It was at that time that P.Z. Eldridge joined the 192nd as a replacement and was assigned to B Company.
    The battalion traveled by train to San Francisco.  By ferry, they were taken to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island.  On the island, they received inoculations and physicals.  Those members of the battalion who were found to have treatable medical conditions remained behind on the island.  They were scheduled to join the battalion at a later date.
The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.A.T. Hugh L. Scott and sailed from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th, for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  They arrived at Honolulu on Sunday, November 2nd.  The soldiers were given leaves so they could see the island.  On Tuesday, November 4th, the ships sailed for Guam.  At one point, the ships passed an island at night.  While they passed the island, they did so in total blackout.  This for many of the soldiers was a sign that they were being sent into harm's way.  When they arrived at Guam, the ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables.  The ships sailed the same day for Manila and entered Manila Bay on Thursday, November 20th.  They docked at Pier 7 and the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg. 
    At the fort, they were greeted by Gen. Edward King.  The general apologized that the men had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Airfield.  He made sure that they all received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own. 
Ironically, November 20th was the date that the National Guard members of the battalion had expected to be released from federal service.
For the next seventeen days the tankers worked to remove cosmoline from their weapons.  The grease was put on the weapons to protect them from rust while at sea.  They also loaded ammunition belts and did tank maintenance.
    On the morning of December 8, 1941, the members of B Company were informed of the Japanese attack on Clark Field.  His tank and the others were sent to the perimeter of the airfield to guard against Japanese paratroopers.  About 12:45 in the afternoon as the tankers were eating lunch, planes approached the airfield from the north.  At first, the soldiers thought the planes were American.  It was only when bombs began exploding on the runways that they knew the planes were Japanese.
    The 192nd remained at Clark Field for about a week before they were ordered to the barrio of Dau so it would be near a road and railroad.  They then were sent to the Lingayen Gulf area where the Japanese had landed troops.  For the next four months, the tankers held positions so that the other units could disengage and form a defensive line. 
    The company took part in the Battle of the Pockets.  The Japanese had lunched an offensive and were pushed back to the original battle line.  Two pockets of Japanese soldiers were trapped behind the line.  The tanks were sent in to the pockets to wipe them out.  One platoon of tanks would relieve another platoon.  The tanks would do this one at a time. 
    The tankers used two strategies to do this. In the first, the tanks would go over a foxhole.  Three Filipino soldiers were sitting on the back of the tanks.  Each man had a bag of hand grenades.  As the tank was passing over the foxhole, the three soldiers would drop hand grenades into the foxhole.
    The second method was to park a tank over a foxhole.  The driver would then spun the tank, in a circle, on one track until it ground itself into the ground wiping out the Japanese.  The tankers slept upwind from the tanks so they didn't have to smell the rotting flesh.
    The night of April 8, 1942, the members of B Company circled their tanks.  Each tank fired one armor piercing shell into the engine of the tank in front of it.  The tankers next opened up the gasoline valves and dropped hand grenades into the turrets.  The next morning at 7:00 A.M. they became Prisoners of War.
    The members of B Company made their way to Mariveles at the southern tip of Bataan.  It was from this barrio that the tankers started what they simply called "the march."
    The POWs made their way north from Mariveles.  The first five miles of the march were uphill.  At one point, the members of the company had to run past Japanese artillery firing on Corregidor.  They received little water and little food.  When they reached San Fernando, they were put into a bull pen.  In one corner of the bull pen was a trench the POWs were suppose to use as a washroom.  The surface of the trench was alive with maggots.  How long they remained in the bull pen is not known. 
    The Japanese ordered the POWs to form ranks.  They were marched to the train stationed and packed into small wooden
boxcars used to haul sugarcane.  Each car could hold forty men or eight horses.  The Japanese  packed 100 POWs into each car.  Those who died remained standing since there was no place for them to fall.  At Capas, the living left the cars and the dead fell to the floors.  They walked the last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell.
Camp O'Donnell was an unfinished Filipino training base.  There was one water faucet for the entire camp.  Men literally died for a drink.  The death rate in the camp began to rise until as many as 55 men dying each day.  The burial detail worked non-stop to bury the dead.  Often, when they returned the next morning, the wild dogs had dug up the bodies or the bodies were sitting up in the graves.
The Japanese realized they had to do something to lower the death rate at the camp, so they opened a new camp at Cabanatuan.  It is not known if Felix was sent to the camp when it opened or if he was sent there after he returned from a work detail.
    While Felix was a prisoner at Cabanatuan, most likely went out on one of the daily work details from the camp.  The POWs worked in rice paddies and planted rice.  They also worked in the camp farm.  He remained at the camp until July 1943, when his name appeared on a list of POWs being sent to Japan.  He may have volunteered to go to Japan, since many of the prisoners believed things in Japan could not be as bad as in the Philippines.
    On July 25th, trucks appeared at the camp and took the POWs to the Port Area of Manila.  They were boarded onto the Clyde Maru
The ship arrived at Santa Cruz, Zambeles, Philippines, the same day.  There, it was loaded with manganese ore.  It remained in port for three days before sailing on July 26th.  During this part of the voyage the Japanese allowed 100 POWs, at a time, to be on deck from 6:00 A.M. until 4:00 P.M.  The ship arrived at Takao, Formosa, on July 28th.
    At 8:00 A.M. on August 5th, the ship sailed again as part of a nine ship convoy.  The ships arrived at Moji, Japan, on August 7th, but the POWs didn't disembark until the next day.  They were broken up into 100 men detachments and taken by train to various POW camps.  Most of the POWs were taken to

Fukuoka Camp #17
    Fukuoka #17 was the worst POW camp a prisoner could be held at.  The stronger American prisoners preyed on the weaker POWs.  Many POWs traded their food rations for cigarettes which resulted in them starving to death.  They also worked in a condemned coal mine which the Japanese engineers were afraid to enter.
    Sometime during Felix's time in the camp, he became ill and taken to the camp hospital.  Since he could not work, the Japanese cut his food ration.  According to records kept by the medical staff, Pvt. Felix Flores died of pneumonia on Wednesday, December 2, 1943, at Fukuoka #17. 
After he died, his body was taken to a local crematory and cremated.  His ashes were put in a wooden box and buried in a common grave.
    After the war, since his name was on the box, Pvt Felix Flores' ashes were positively identified.  At the request of his mother, they were returned to Texas.  In 1948, Pvt. Felsix Flores was buried at Waldheim Cemetery in Tynan, Texas.


Return to B Company