Pvt. Charles F. Erickson

Born: 6 August 1913 - Durand, Wisconsin

Parents: Andrew Erickson & Augusta Sobottka-Erickson

Siblings: 3 brothers

Hometown: Durand, Wisconsin

Occupation: worked for the county highway department


    - U. S. Army 

        - 7 April 1941 - Milwaukee, Wisconsin


    - Fort Knox, Kentucky
        - trained in using equipment of tank battalion

    - Camp Polk, Louisiana

Overseas Duty: 

    - Sailed: San Francisco, California - Monday, 27 October 1941
    - Arrived: Honolulu, Hawaii - Sunday, 2 November 1941
        - soldiers given shore leave
    - Sailed: Wednesday, 5 November 1941
    - Arrived: Guam - Sunday, 16 November 1941
        - ship loaded bananas, vegetables, water, and coconuts
    - Sailed: next day

    - Arrived: Manila, Philippine Islands - 20 November 1941

        - tankers lived in tents along main road between fort and airfield
    - 1 December 1941 - tankers assigned positions around Clark Field
        - two tank crew members remained with tanks at all time
        - meals served from food trucks
    - 8 December 1941
        - parents received the only letter home written by Charles
            - dated - 25 November 1941


    - Battle of Luzon 

        - 8 December 1941 - 6 January 1942
            - Clark Field
                 - lived through Japanese attack

        - 12 December 1941 - Barrio of Dau
                 - guarded a road and railway
        - 23/24 December 1941
            - Urdaneta. Pangasinan Province
            - while outside barrio the company's commander Captain Walter Write was killed

            - because the tanks were not allowed to withdraw, they almost were captured
            - tanks made end run to a bridge in the Bayambang Province over the Agno River
        - 25 December 1941 - tanks held south bank of Agno River from Carmen to Tayung

            - asked to hold position for six hours
            - held the position until 5:30 A.M. until December 27th
            - prevented Japanese from crossing river
            - A Company attached to 194th - east of Pampanga

                - Lt.William Read killed in action
                - remained with 194th until 8 January 1942
        - 31 December 1941 to 1 January 1942 - Bamban River
            - 192nd held south bank so troops could withdraw
            - Japanese lunch a night attack wearing white shirts
            - tankers massacre Japanese - 50% casualties

                - used smoke in attempt to cover attack

                - blew back into the Japanese
            - Japanese disngaged

    - Battle of Bataan

        - 7 January 1942 - 9 April 1942

        - 31 December 1941 - BamBam River

            - stop Japanese attempt to cross river at night

            - Japanese suffered 50% casualties
        - 23 January 1942 - 17 February 1942
            - wiped out Japanese troops cut off behind main line of defense
        - 28 January 1942 - beach duty
            - prevented Japanese from landing troops on Bataan

        - A Company wiped out a Japanese Bicycle Battalion that rode into its bivouac at night

            - the company had bivouacked on both sides of a road

            - a noise was heard - the tankers grabbed tommy-guns and stood behind their tanks

            - as they watched the bicycle battalion rode into their bivouac 

            - the tankers opened up with everything they had

            - when they ceased fire, the entire battalion had been wiped out 

Prisoner of War: 

    - 9 April 1942

        -  Death March

            - Mariveles - POWs start march at southern tip of Bataan
            - POWs ran past Japanese artillery firing at Corregidor
                - Americans on Corregidor returned fire
            - San Fernando - POWs put into small wooden boxcars
                - each boxcar could hold eight horses or forty men
                - 100 POWs packed into each car
                - POWs who died remained standing
            - Capas - dead fell to floor as living left boxcars
            - POWs walked last ten miles to Camp O'Donnell
    - 24 July 1942 - family received word he was a POW

POW Camps: 

    - Philippine Islands: 

        - Camp O'Donnell

            - unfinished Filipino training base
            - Japanese put camp into use as POW Camp
            - only one water spigot for entire camp
            - as many as 50 POWs died each day
            - Japanese opened new POW camp to lower death rate

        - Cabanatuan #1

        - Tayabas Road Detail

            - 300 POWs left Camp O'Donnell - 29 May 1942

            - took three days to reach site 

            - POWs built a road

            - food was prepared in a rusty wheel barrow 

            - POWs slept on rocks

            - many came down with malaria 

            - Charles became ill and was sent to Bilibid Prison 

        - Bilibid Prison
            - U.S. Naval Hospital Unit

                - doctors believed there was little they could do for him and the other POWs from the detail

                - they referred to these POWs as "the living dead"

                - the doctors believed POWs from detail were doomed to die
            - admitted to hospital - 10 July 1942
                - records indicated he was suffering from blood in his stools


    - Sunday - 8 August 1942 - dysentery & malaria
        - time of death - 11:30 A.M.

        - date of death verified by the final report on the 192nd Tank Battalion and records kept by doctors on the

          Tayabas Road Detail 


   - Bilibid Hospital Burial Plot 

       - Row: 2  Grave: 28
Note:  In September 1945, his parents received a letter from Chaplain Perry O. Wilcox.  He said:

    "I have recently returned to the States after imprisonment under the Japanese in the Philippine Islands and have just received permission to send letters of condolence to the nearest of kin of army men who were buried at Bilibid prison.
    Your son, Pvt. Charles F. Erickson, 36026291, died in Bilibid Military prison hospital 8 August 1942.  I noticed the war department probably informed you using a date 11 May, 1943, that being the date on which they received the information.  It was the custom to drop men as deceased on the date that the report was received.  But the date I am giving you is the date on which I performed his burial in the prison cemetery.  The cause of death was malaria, complicated with amoebic dysentery and lack of food.  Under the circumstances it is difficult to say what was the cause of death.  Most of us had enough things combined to make it hard to attribute death to any one thing. 
     Bilibid prison hospital was staffed by American naval doctors and hospital corpsman of excellent skill and they rendered the best services that they could do to all patients considering their limitations as to equipment and medicines. 
    I may also say that all burials in Bilibid were made in individual graves, well marked with heavy plank crosses on which the name and date of death were carved with a chisel.  The cemetery was well cared for, the grass mowed and flowers growing in large flower beds about the cemetery.  None of the graves suffered any damage in the battle of Manila.
    I find our prisoners of war are being accorded equal honors with those who served without falling into the hands of the enemy, and I hope it will be some comfort to you to feel your son did his best as long as he could and that his imprisonment under the Japanese  was due to circumstances over which he had no control."


    - October 1948 - Forest Hill Cemetery - Durand, Wisconsin




Return to Company A