Tec 5 Lyle Eesley
    Tec 5 Lyle Eesley was the son of Charles L & Lilly Eesly.  He was born on August 12, 1916, in Jackson, Ohio.  With his three sisters and three brothers, he resided in Jackson, Ohio, and later at 230 North Cassady Avenue in Marion, Ohio.
    Lyle Eesley was inducted into the U.S. Army on January 28, 1941, in Columbus, Ohio.  He was sent to Fort Knox, Kentucky, for basic training.  It was at that time that he was assigned to Headquarters Company, 192nd Tank Battalion.  It is not known what duties he performed with the company.
    The 192nd was sent to Camp Polk, Louisiana, in the late summer of 1941 to take part in maneuvers.  During the maneuvers, HQ Company serviced the tanks of the battalion, but they did not actively participate.  After the maneuvers, on the side of a hill, the battalion learned they were being sent overseas.  According to members of the battalion, General George Patton had selected them for overseas duty.  Men too old to go overseas were released from federal service and replaced by men from the 753rd Tank Battalion.
    Many of the members of the battalion were given leave so that they could say goodbye to family and friends.  They returned to Camp Polk and traveled by train to San Francisco, California.  From San Francisco, the tankers were ferried to Ft. McDowell on Angel Island.  On the island they were given physicals and inoculated for tropical diseases.  Some men were held back for health issues but scheduled to join the battalion at a later date.  Other men were simply replaced.
    The 192nd was boarded onto the U.S.S. Hugh L. Scott and sailed from San Francisco on Monday, October 27th, for Hawaii as part of a three ship convoy.  They arrived at Honolulu on Sunday, November 2nd. 
The soldiers were given shore leave so they could see the island.  On Tuesday, November 4th, the ships sailed for Guam arriving on Sunday, November 16th,.  The ships took on water, bananas, coconuts, and vegetables, before sailing the next day for Manila.  The ships entered Manila Bay the morning of Thursday, November 20th.  They docked at Pier 7 and most of the soldiers were taken by bus to Ft. Stotsenburg.  Others drove their trucks to the fort while the maintenance section of HQ Company remained behind to unload the tanks.
    At the fort, they were greeted by Colonel Edward King, who apologized that the men had to live in tents along the main road between the fort and Clark Field.  The truth was that he had just learned of their arrival just days before they arrived.  He made sure that they all received Thanksgiving Dinner before he went to have his own.
    For the next seventeen days the tankers worked to remove cosmoline from their weapons which had been greased to prevent them from rusting.  They also loaded ammunition belts, did tank maintenance, ad prepared to take part in maneuvers with the 194th Tank Battalion.
    The letter companies of the battalion were ordered to the perimeter of Clark Field on Monday, December 1st.  Two members of every tank and half-track crew had to remain with their vehicles at all times. 
The morning of December 8th, the officers of the 192nd were called to an office and informed of the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor and ordered to their companies.  HQ Company remained behind in their bivouac. 
    All morning the sky was filled with American planes.  At noon, the planes landed to be refueled and the pilots went to lunch.  At 12:45 in the afternoon, Japanese bombers appeared over Clark Field destroying the American Army Air Corps.  The members of HQ took cover since they had no weapons to use against the planes.  After the attack, they witnessed the devastation caused by the bombing and strafing.
    The battalion remained at Clark Field for two weeks before being sent to Lingayen Gulf where the Japanese were landing troops.  For the next four months Lyle worked to supply the letter companies with the supplies they needed to fight the Japanese.

    The evening of April 8th, Capt. Fred Bruni, commanding officer of HQ Company, told his men that Bataan would be surrendered in the morning.  He instructed them to destroy anything that could be used by the Japanese, but not to disable their trucks.  He somehow had found enough bread and pineapple juice to have what he called, "Their last supper," with his men.
    On April 9, 1942, Bataan was surrendered to the Japanese at 7:00 A.M
. and Lyle was now a Prisoner of War.  
On April 11th, the first Japanese soldiers appeared at HQ Company's bivoouac.  A Japanese officer ordered the company, with their possessions, out onto the road that ran in front of their encampment.  Once on the road, the soldiers were ordered to kneel along the sides of the road with their possessions in front of them.  As they knelt, the Japanese soldiers, who were passing them, went through their possessions and took whatever they wanted from the Americans.
    The company boarded their trucks and drove to Mariveles.  From there, they walked to Mariveles Airfield and sat and waited.  As they sat, the POWs noticed a line of Japanese soldiers forming across from them.  They soon realized that this was a firing squad and the Japanese were going to kill them.
    As they sat watching and waiting to see what the Japanese intended to do, a Japanese officer pulled up in a car in front of the Japanese soldiers.  He got out of the car and spoke to the sergeant in charge of the detail.  The officer got back in the car and drove off, and the Japanese sergeant ordered the soldiers to lower their guns.
    Later in the day, Lyle's group of POWs was moved to a school yard in Mariveles. The POWs were left sitting in the sun for hours.  The Japanese did not feed them or give them water.  How long they remained there is not known, but at some point they were ordered to move.
    The guards told the POWs to rest in a field.  Behind the POWs were four Japanese artillery pieces which began firing on Corregidor and Ft. Drum.  These two islands had not surrendered and shells from these two American forts began landing among the POWs.  The POWs could do little since they had no place to hide, so POWs were killed by incoming American shells.  One group that tried to hide in a small brick building died when it took a direct hit.  The American guns did succeed in knocking out three of the four Japanese guns.

    The POWs were ordered to move again by the Japanese.  Lyle, and the other men, had no idea that they had started what became known as the death march.  During the march, he received no water and little food.  It took the members of HQ Company six days to reach San Fernando.  Once there, the POWs were put into a bull pen that had a fence around it.  In one corner was a slit trench to be used as a toilet by the POWs.  The surface of the trench moved since it was covered in maggots.  The POWs had enough room to sit, but they could not lie down.
    How long the POWs remained in the bull pen is not known.  The Japanese ordered the POWs to form columns of 100 men and took them to the train depot at San Fernando. 
There, they were put into a small wooden boxcar and taken to Capas.  The cars could hold forty men or eight horses, but the Japanese packed 100 men into each car and closed the doors.  Those who died remained standing until the living climbed out of the cars at Capas.  From Capas, Lyle walked the last ten miles to Camp O' Donnell. 
    Camp O'Donnell was an unfinished Filipino training base that the Japanese pressed into service as a Prisoner of War camp.  It turned out to be a death trap with as many as fifty POWs dying each day.  There was only one working water faucet for the entire camp.  To get a drink, men stood in line for days.  Many died while waiting for a drink simply because the Japanese guard shut the water off.  The situation got so bad that the Japanese opened a new POW camp at Cabanatuan and sent the healthier POWs to the new camp.
    Lyle was sent to Cabanatuan being considered in decent health.  After he was in the camp about a month, Lyle developed dysentery and also came down with malaria.  He was admitted into the camp hospital on July 14, 1942, and assigned to Barracks 13 in the Hospital Area of the camp.  The hospital was known as "Zero Ward" since the doctors had no medicines to treat the ill and many died.  According to camp records, Tec 5 Lyle Eesley died of dysentery and malaria on July 25, 1942.  His time of death was approximately 10:30 A.M., and he was buried in the camp cemetery.
    After the war, at the request of his family, Tec 5 Lyle Eesley was buried at the new American Military Cemetery at Manila in Plot N, Row 15, Grave 38.  




Return to HQ Company